Gold Held: Very High
    Unit Type: Hero

Skills

Level 1: Melee
    Level 4: Speed Self
    Level 7: Fortune Manipulation*
    Level 9: Clutz Counter**
    Level 10: Rapid Counter Strike***

Fortune Manipulation* Increases the Mecernary's chance to have a Defensive Luck Bonus occur but lowers his chance to have an Offensive Luck Bonus occur. Effect lasts for 7 Seconds. 21 Second Recharge Time.

Clutz Counter** Every successful Attack on the Mercenary causes a Counter Debuff on the Attacker, in which the Recharge Time for all their Abilities increases by 10%. Both the Clutz Counter Buff and the Enemy's Debuff last for 9 Seconds. 24 Second Recharge Time.

Rapid Counter Strike*** The Mercenary stops dodging attacks and takes a defensive stance, where he takes half damage from all attacks for 2 Seconds. Attacks can be cut down to 25% if the Mercenary gets a Double Defense Luck Bonus. Once the Mercenary stops defending himself, he will counter attack his target and attack as many times as he was attacked during his defensive stance. He attacks very frequently, striking his enemy every ~0.3 Seconds. While he is not garenteed to hit his enemy with any of his attacks, he does have an increased chance of hitting them. His last attack has an increased chance to gain a Double Attack Luck Bonus. He cannot gain any Offensive Luck Bonus for any attack before his final. 40 Second Recharge Time.

Information

Author's Note
    The Mercenary is a remake of the Swordsman, and has been transformed into a Hero. There seemed to be a lot of like towards the Swordsman (For some god awful reason, he had nothing going for him) so I decided to remake him into something that is much better. Now he actually has some character and a good Unit Role to go along with it. Also, as an extra note, the Mercenary's competition with the Samurai to see who is the better swordfighter reminds me of Mugen and Jin, respectfully. (From Samurai Champloo. I wasn't inspired by it, I just realized the connection after I came up with the idea) I guess that makes the Maiden Fuu.

About the Mercenary
    During the darkest of hours when Heroes are low in number, they must resort to alternative methods to bolster their army's forces. One of these methods is to hire the Mercenary. The Mercenary is a powerful and skilled fighter, but has no interest in justice and only cares about recieving pay. Despite his greedy intentions, he is quite loyal to those who employ him. He focuses entirely on speed, making a complete mockery of slow clumsy Ogres and Bile Demons. He does have a strong desire to become the most powerful Swordsman, which throws him in a competition with the Samurai.

Behavior in Dungeon:
    Once he has been hired, the Mercenary will head onto the Tavern and drink until he is ordered to do something, or he passes out. If he is unable to go to the Tavern, he may consider the option of perfecting his skills in the Training Room. He is willing to do any type of task, even research at the Library despite how bad he is at it. He will not question his employer's orders and will follow them loyally... as long as he gets paid. He doesn't get as happy as some other Heroes do when praying at the Temple, but he will pray if ordered to just like any other task.

The Mercenary has some respect for the Samurai, due to the Samurai's great skill as a swordsman. Due to the Mercenary's own desire to be the best, he will often challenge the Samurai to a duel if they ever meet in the Training Room. This has a similar effect to Partner Training. The Mercenary also personally likes the Maiden, simply because of her beauty. If the Mercenary sees a Maiden without her "Chosen One" and has yet to recieve an order from his employer, he will take the time to go up to her and try to persuade her into making him her Chosen One.

The last Unit the Mercenary likes is not a Hero, but a Creature rather. He likes the Dark Mistress, simply because of what she likes to do to herself all day long. She is probably the only Creature the Mercenary actually likes to be around.

The Mercenary generally doesn't have much of a problem with any type of Unit. There are only a few which he'd rather not be around, and he only dislikes them at the most. The first is the Thief, because they are very greedy and he fears they may try to steal his own gold. The second Unit he dislikes is a Creature, which is the Witch. The Witch is easily one of the creepiest females the Mercenary has ever met, and he, in the Overworld, lives next door to a woman who eats her own toenails. The Mercenary's last dislike is devoted to the Succubus, who is definately the creepiest female he's ever met. It is ironic because he is such an easy target for her seducive magic.

The Mercenary's annoyances and pleasures are a bit generic. There's just a few things that stand out, with the first being the Mercenary's complete love for drinking. It makes him happier than any other Hero. The next thing to be noted is that the Mercenary does not care what kind of dead body he steps on. He could be sitting on the corpse of a Knight who sacrificed his life for the Mercenary in a recent battle and still pay it no mind. The last detail that stands out is the thing that can instantly grant his employer an angry Mercenary, which is not being paid.

Behavior Outside of Dungeon:
    Outside of the dungeon, the Mercenary has no particular behavior to take note of.

Behavior in Battle:
    Hyper
    The Mercenary has no Armor to help him survive a hit, so he relies entirely on dodging. His dodging abilities are beyond all others, making him an excellent tank against any Melee Unit. Despite this, he shouldn't be up at the front lines as he's extremely vulnerable to Spell Casters. He can do better against them, however, once he learns Fortune Manipulation and Clutz Counter. The only thing that is special about the Mercenary's battle behavior is his Rapid Counter Strike. He will not use if he has less than 40% of his Health, due to the fact that it requires him to stop dodging and this could prove to be a fatal mistake if he has low Health.

Strengths:
    • Very Effective at Dodging Enemy Attacks
    • Pretty Effective with Counter Attacks
    • Very Obedient in the Dungeon

Weaknesses:
    • Vulernable to Spell Casters
    • Requires to be Trained to Higher Levels Before He Can Counter
    • Can Be Very Easily Annoyed if He is Not Paid

Jobs:
    The Mercenary's Primary Job is to drink at the Tavern. His Secondary Job is to Train, but there's only a chance he'll do that job or just Sleep. There is no job that the Mercenary will refuse.

When angry, the Mercenary will first do one of two things. He will either steal Gold from your Treasury or attack a fairly low level Unit who has a lot of Gold on him. If he succeeds in killing the low level Unit, the Mercenary will steal his Gold from his dead body. The second thing the Mercenary will do after getting his Gold is leave the dungeon.

Lair and Food:
    The Mercenary's Lair is a sack of gold on top of some messy sheets. When the Mercenary sleeps, he rests on top of the sheets and uses the sack of gold as a pillow. His Lair takes up a single tile, and he has no Lair Enemies. The Mercenary sleeps as often as any other average Unit. However, he sleeps for a fairly long period of time.

The Mercenary's eating habits aren't far apart from the average Unit's, and he'll only eat two chickens when he does become hungry. His eating animation involves him lazily stabbing a chicken with his sword before he brings it up to his face. He pulls the chicken off his sword and looks at it for a moment, as if he's not sure whether he should really be eating it or not. He will, of course, decide to eat it after a brief stare.

Loves:
    Maiden
    Fighting with the Samurai
    Drinking
    Dark Mistress
    Gold

Hates:
    Not Being Paid
    Succubus
    Witch
    Thief

Character Appearance:
    I wasn't too successful in the searching for a decent picture. The best (In my opinion) I could find was this. Anyways, Mercenary's appearance looks like a common human who completely lacks in armor of any kind. He does weild a sword, of course. Might come up with a better description later. Suggestion pictures are welcome as long as they don't involve a crapload of armor.

Spell Effects:
    Fortune Manipulation
    Perhaps his sword starts to shine white and sparkle a bit when the Mercenary's under the effects of this ability.

Clutz Counter
    There is no special effect for this ability. The Mercenary does, however, take a special defensive stance when this buff is active.

Rapid Counter Strike
    The defensive stance the Mercenary takes before attacking with this ability is probably going to be the same as the one for Clutz Counter. When the Mercenary is actually counter attacking the enemy, all you can really see is the Mercenary rapidly swinging his blade and cutting up the enemy.

How Introduced:
    Hero. Early-Mid Game.

Obtainable By:
    Hero Portal, Convert, Temple, Neutral

Attraction:
    15 Tiles Treasury
    9 Tiles Tavern

As a Neutral, he can be found anywhere.

Creature Sacrifice: Samurai + Thief
    Hero Sacrifice: Fly + Shadow Demon

Entrance Effect
    A sword suddenly jumps out from the Portal and lands on the ground in front of the Portal. Shortly after, the Mercenary follows the sword's pattern and leaps out of the Portal. He lands before the sword, then he pulls the sword out and puts it back in its sheath.

Torture:
    The Mercenary's torture animation involves the Torturer slapping the Mercenary upside the face repeatedly with a very large sack of gold. He occasionally stops so he can dangle the sack of gold above the Mercenary's head in a very taunting fashion.

Stat Value Order (1/10 kinda thing)

Crap
    Extremely Low
    Very Low
    Low
    Below Average
    Moderate
    Above Average
    High
    Very High
    Extremely High
    Extraoridnarily High
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; October 4th, 2011 at 06:23.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Default Re: Swordsman

Could we have a Parry/Block skill rather than Armor buff. Blocks 1-3 hits. Something like that.

Should try get a more stylish swordsman. Two-handed maybe? The duel wield looked cool but too modern armor ofc. But that kind of appearnce and posture looks good, which is what lead me to think of parry.

Demon Spawn

Reminds me of a knight but without full plate armour. I don't see a reason why not.
    Could be on the same power level as a skeleton.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

It's more of a scrapped old suggestion than anything which I thought of over a year ago. I only made it when I was getting hyped up over looking through all these medival weapons and such. It isn't exactly a good suggestion, there's not much personality or originality in it at all.

I prefer Demon Spawns and Spiders over this thing any day.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Demon Spawn

There is no harm in having a shitload of creatures in this game, just to make the game more variated. (Every map having the same enemies and monsters? Boring.)

Quote Originally Posted by Airandius View Post
    There is no harm in having a shitload of creatures in this game, just to make the game more variated.
    Actually there are two harms, one being not averting Sturgeon's Law and another being that every suggestion takes quite a bit of development and programming time, stalling the game's release.

The Awakening

Demon Spawn

Sturgeon's Law can be disregarded because it's obvious that only good suggestions make it in. As fir the time increase, that can be easeily solved by looking for a few more modelers.
    Go recruit some at other modding boards.

Sturgeon's Law can be disregarded because it's obvious that only good suggestions make it in.
    Not when you're going to let old scrapped suggestions like this in.
    As fir the time increase, that can be easeily solved by looking for a few more modelers.
    Go recruit some at other modding boards.
    It still takes more work. And I wasn't talking about modelling; that's the part WftO needs the least amount of extra help on.
    Last edited by Mothrayas; February 5th, 2011 at 11:32.

The Awakening

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FOG I Kyle PSN ID: CreamedCustard Steam ID: kylemotherwell

Even if this is an old suggestion, i I like the idea.

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

I quite like it - an early game knight who wields the same attack power but lacks quite the same survivability that comes from their heavy armor. I know you put forward the gladiator, but this would be a neat buffed guard equivalent.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9