Thread: DK2 speedrun on SpeedDemosArchive

Default DK2 speedrun on Speed Demos Archive

Perhaps some people find this interesting:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/DungeonKeeper2.html

Played by Anthony Malmgren. Version used is GOG v1.7. Total play time is 2:14:03.

The Awakening

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

Default Re: DK2 speedrun on Speed Demos Archive

I bet I can do it faster. I'm sure he used a lot of Possession and abused the AI to get through the game that quickly. And with that it isn't really that hard to get a good time, especially in 1.7.
    There is absoluetly nothing wrong with DK Mobile, whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarok View Post
    I bet I can do it faster.
    The rest of your post implies you haven't even seen the speedrun yet. It's preemptive to say you can do better when you don't even know the technical level of what you're comparing your own against.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarok View Post
    I'm sure he used a lot of Possession and abused the AI to get through the game that quickly. And with that it isn't really that hard to get a good time, especially in 1.7.
    There's a significant difference between getting a good time and getting a record time.

I'd like to see you prove your claim on being able to do it faster. Speedrunning (on SDA level) is a respectable business with broad audiences. If you could beat him, you certainly should do it for the e-fame.
    Unless, of course, you're full of shit. That's the other possibility.

The Awakening

Beetle

Very nice time, curious if anyone cares to see if they can do better?

Best time I think I ever got was like 2:35, but that involved using possession a huge amount of the time.

What I would really like to see is someone speedrun DK1 campaign, since that one actually has a some difficulty to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonji View Post
    What I would really like to see is someone speedrun DK1 campaign, since that one actually has a some difficulty to it.
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/DungeonKeeper.html

There's also a thread about that run here.

The Awakening

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    The rest of your post implies you haven't even seen the speedrun yet. It's preemptive to say you can do better when you don't even know the technical level of what you're comparing your own against.
    Not completely, no. But I've looked into it, so I'm sure he'd use the same strategies for the most part. That's actually the only way to beat the game so fast, by playing it properly you'd have to take a lot more time for certain parts of the game. I know more than enough about DKII to be sure what you can do and what you can't do if you want to achieve a time like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    I'd like to see you prove your claim on being able to do it faster. Speedrunning (on SDA level) is a respectable business with broad audiences. If you could beat him, you certainly should do it for the e-fame.
    Unless, of course, you're full of shit. That's the other possibility.
    I could certainly make a recording of me speedrunning the whole campaign. A lot of time depends on what maps you chose when you get the different map choices, and also on what version you're using. In 1.7 it wouldn't be too hard to win level 11c for example, simply kill Morgana and go straight after Raksha's dungeon heart. There are generally only few creatures around there, and since the Keeper AI won't drop its creatures to fight you you'll be able to take her out without fighting the majority of her army, whilst on 1.3 to 1.51 you'd be doomed to fail with an approach like this, as you'll actually have to fight to win. Same thing for Nemesis later. Easy to take him out in 1.7 without doing much else, in the older versions it might actually be a pretty tough battle if you don't do the optional objectives.
    There is absoluetly nothing wrong with DK Mobile, whatsoever.