Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Horned Reaper

Default Re: The Horned Reaper

I take most of the lore out of the 12th Imp Alert: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Keeper_Kl...?showtopic=674 .

Quote Originally Posted by Patrician
    The Legend of the Horned Reaper
    Fan Fiction by Patrician

Whilst searching the great resource that is the internet I came across an interesting excerpt about the origin of horned reapers. The source was in some forgotten ancient language and the parchment was slightly tea-stained and ripped by large claw marks, but I've done my best to translate it for you:

"Dear Diary,

Whilst browsing the dust-covered bookshelves of the dark library I came across a large, leather-bound tome that immediately took my attention. On closer inspection the book was actually wrought out of human flesh and blowing away the accumulation of dust I was able to read the title, inscribed in fading gold peel it read: "Servants of the Dark Gods"

Intrigued at my find I opened the ancient encyclopedia with a certain degree of caution. The page I flicked unto sent excitement down my aged spine, there was a large engraving of an imposing beast with horns sticking out from his temples and jaw. In one hand he clasped a ferocious looking scythe, this, I realised, was one of the legendary horned reapers of yore.

Excitedly I read the text on the opposite page, it detailed the history of the horned reapers, how they were born of pure Evil in the depths of Hell, and used as guardians for the bastions of Pandemonia. They could be summoned by the battling dungeon keepers to aid them in their quest for domination of the world.

I read on, delighted at my find, apparently these reapers could be summoned through the sacrifice of three lesser creatures: a troll, a bile demon and a dark mistress. These three sacrifices represented industriousness, greed and power - a formidable combination that was rewarded with a horned reaper - the epitome of these qualities combined. However, the psychotic bloodlust of the reapers meant they were lost quickly in the midst of battle with the Avatar's forces. After the heroic Keeper's victory in the old world the Dark Gods opted to keep their most valued of servants in the confines of Hell.

As a replacement for the red demons, the Dark Gods offered the keepers of the new world the services of dark angels, a mockery of Heaven's pure servants. However, the horned reapers were unsatisfied at their incarceration in Pandemonia and wanted to satisfy their urges for fresh blood by aiding the dungeon keepers.

One particularly powerful horned reaper, albeit with a slightly large chin and libido (hence the affectionate nickname Horny), was chosen by the Dark Gods to retrieve the portal gems of the new realm, and to offer his fighting abilities to only the most intrepid of keepers. The Dark God, Cernunnos, broke a magical talisman into four parts and scattered them across the corners of Harmonia. If these four segments are ever to be found and re-united, I read, the Horned Reaper will rise once again under the Dungeon Keeper's banner.

But until the day of reunification, when a keeper is strong and dedicated enough to find the segments, the Horned Reaper, or Horny, will stalk the passages of Hell, waiting for his calling - I must inform the Master of this "Horny". If he can summon its power, then we can mount a successful war on those pitiful Heroes.

Oh, I think Mimi is calling me, I best not be late for dinner at the hatchery - Mimi's mood swings are becoming more and more intolerable. I should've taken my father's advice and not married a dark mistress... The claws are so painful! Thankfully I can seek refuge in this library. Yes I'm coming dear!"

Based on the webpage: http://www.everything2.com/?node_id=1454730
    Horned Reaper fact:

Strength: Horned Reapers are far too strong for even the most skilled and strongest human warrior. This was famously demonstrated when Horny smacked a fully amoured knight through a barricaded wooden door. I think the strength of Horned Reapers are equal if not superior to those of giants (lore-wise).

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Nice. I read that other story, the one Patrician's was based on. I've organized my thoughts but I'm a bit sleepy... it's 1:20 where I am. If I made any errors please inform me. My right eye is half way shut...

I have more information, but it is about Dungeon Keeper in general.

The creatures are the forces of the Dungeon Keepers, which allowed them to do the Dark Gods' bidding, which is destroy the heroes. The Horned Reaper is the most powerful of them all, the symbol and eyes of the Dark Gods. Which is why the Temple has the Horned Reaper's face on it. It is also why the Dark Gods punish you for sacrificing a Horned Reaper, because it is like saying, "I'm more powerful than you, I need you not."

---
    I'll finish the rest later, I can't think anymore... sleepy...
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

An evil book made from human flesh?

Imp

I thought about this a while ago. There should be more of a backstory to Dungeon Keeper 2 and because i'm so cool i wrote my ideas down. The story was generally eons ago a giant battle between angels and reapers ended with the mass extinction of angels and wiping out all but one reaper. The lone reaper (Horny) was pushed underground with all the other evil creatures by the humans and dwarves. The humans and thier allies captured Horny somehow. Horny spent sometime in his prison whilst the humans and dwarves and elves grew stronger in the outside world. He eventually broke out, built his own dungeon and attacked the entrance to the over world. Then he recruited you and the mentor to help him collect the gems. Perhaps he even recruited the mentor before hand. Or maybe they were in the same prison? just an idea :P

Maybe the mentor and Horny are close friends so he decides to become your ally since the mentor works for you.

Imp

maybe just randomly occured to me but i bet the mentor is one of these http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm...y/Beholder.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beholder

The Spectator type.

the voice doesn't fit (my opinion)

I think that the mentor is horny, in physical form. He tries to help you out by giveing directions, and when he is casted, he still is able to help out.

just a thought.

Where does Horny (and the base concept of Dungeon Keeper in its entirety) come from? In 2 links or less?

Last edited by Grimhound; November 15th, 2009 at 05:01.