Thread: Unplayable AI

Default Unplayable AI

Hello!

To start off here's a cliche introduction: I played for my whole life and finally decided to register here. I've been lurking for a long time on and off and after my most recent return to Dungeon Keeper I discovered KeeperFX. It really is amazing, so thanks for your ongoing work Mefistotelis and whoever else has contributed to it. In all honesty I probably would no longer be playing the game (I find DOSBox etc unbearable) if your project didn't exist.

Anyway, to get to the issue I'm having the AI is just really terrible.. as in it feels like I'm playing against a person who has never played an RTS before. I'm not entirely sure if this is only related to KeeperFX but I remember the AI been harder to play against back in the day. After playing for a few weeks this is what I have noticed:

+ The AI refuses to train its minions for the majority of the game, particularly after it places a Workshop. This means that while I'm playing the game as intended, I am doing so for no purpose; all the AI minions are level 1-2 for essentially the whole game. It is present in the campaign, and this issue is exacerbated in '-1 player' mode as the AI don't start with experienced minions nor a lot of gold.

+ The AI refuses to place traps/doors despite having constructed loads of them.

+ The AI constantly blows all its gold on rooms and thus its creatures all leave (contributes to level 1-2 issue).

+ The AI doesn't seem to use spells, other than Lightning and sometimes Chicken in the campaign.

I'm sure there's more I could list but along with those above, if it's not just a problem for myself they have probably been reported already. If you aren't having this problem, please reply! I really want to play some Dungeon Keeper again and join the community, but right now I can't enjoy the game because I'm not sure that there is anything I can do about the AI.

Sorry if I sound like a cynical asshole or any synonymical description of that.

Default Re: Unplayable AI

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    + The AI refuses to train its minions for the majority of the game, particularly after it places a Workshop. This means that while I'm playing the game as intended, I am doing so for no purpose; all the AI minions are level 1-2 for essentially the whole game. It is present in the campaign, and this issue is exacerbated in '-1 player' mode as the AI don't start with experienced minions nor a lot of gold.
    What a coincidence! I just finished making a change which forces computer player to put greater emphasis on training. Try a nightly build tomorrow!

+ The AI refuses to place traps/doors despite having constructed loads of them.
    I haven't noticed that. Do you happen to have a saved game which shows the issue?

+ The AI constantly blows all its gold on rooms and thus its creatures all leave (contributes to level 1-2 issue).
    In the fix I did today, I made computer player to correctly handle unhappy creatures. Also, the training fix I did today removes problems with workshop spamming, at least for starting period of the game.

+ The AI doesn't seem to use spells, other than Lightning and sometimes Chicken in the campaign.
    It also uses SoE, Create Imp and Disease when it's available, not mentioning HAND and SLAP (which are essentially also spells).

Which spells do you think should be used, and in which scenarios?

I'm sure there's more I could list but along with those above, if it's not just a problem for myself they have probably been reported already.
    When you notice such issue, you should check if it's on KeeperFX issue tracker.
    If it's not - then it wasn't reported.

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    I haven't noticed that. Do you happen to have a saved game which shows the issue?
    I don't have any save-games at the moment but in the majority of games that I have played I will notice the AI workshops full of unused crates and barely any doors around their dungeon. The traps they tend to place seem to be alarm, lava and boulder (in the campaign at least) but I'm yet to encounter a lightning, gas, or WoP trap. I've played a lot of '-1 player' games and this is really consistent for me, the campaign is not as effected.

I'll get back to this when I play again and have some saves.

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    It also uses SoE, Create Imp and Disease when it's available, not mentioning HAND and SLAP (which are essentially also spells).
    Which spells do you think should be used, and in which scenarios?
    I have a feeling that the AIs seemingly not using spells is due to me playing games in which they run out of money due to the other issues, so discount that I suppose.

Also thanks heaps for replying! <3
    Last edited by Auxin; December 22nd, 2013 at 10:00.

I just played Korros Tor, a level with two rival keepers, and they posed a challenge. Both keepers had access to enough gems and used the gold to train their creatures to a stronger army than mine. I had to use boulder traps to prevail. I have to admit, I lost creatures to their boulders as well.

This didn't happen a few releases ago. All in all, very playable AI.