Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Computer player out of money

Default Re: Computer player out of money

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    What's the point of selling it so you have money, but can't expend it on one of the most crucial things to spend gold on (as said, lest the AI becomes a sitting duck)?

Also, I generally imagine that if gold goes up again, one of the AI's first priorities would be to rebuild the training room, as it's still a very important room to have. Rebuilding it during every gold outage just costs more money in the long term.
    Right.
    Also, if we sell the room and then run out of gold completely - creatures will leave forever. With basic rooms on map, at least lv1 creatures will keep coming and going.

So, what do you propose? Not sell any rooms? Sell in special conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mothrayas View Post
    I went with the assumption that the AI generally tries to spread it more or less evenly between training, workshop and research.
    This is more complicated. Anyway, I'll try to adjust the algorithm to match the decisions we'll make here. Recently I made a big change there too - given more focus to training.

Beetle

Quote Originally Posted by Noanechu View Post
    IMO the selling of rooms is not a good idea at all. It would take away the need of tactics in some levels, e.g. Mistle: If the AI keeper sells the scavenger room, the player could easily recrute skeletons.
    Same in Skybird Trill, you could easily rise vampires that will not be scavenged. Then you could scavenge the enemy vampires and making it too easy.

Well the thing is if they ever ran into a situation like that, it doesn't matter if it is easy for you. Other than the bare minimum needed rooms, all else should be sold off if it was bad enough. Though I rarely see a case of this since from all my experiences with DK1, AI players generally have a personal Gem Seam or are VERY skilled at living off the Workshop.

Honestly I think everything said here is mostly useless, if the AI is low on money, they should try making as big as possible of a Workshop and sell off Magic doors.

Just make the AI build several big Workshops and throw all creatures in it until they have a good amount of gold again, then back to training and such. I have seen tons of levels where this is what happened and it always worked.

Spider

I think there's the reverse problem too? If an AI keeper has gems, he keeps building treasure rooms, even after the point where he can never spend the money. There needs to be a point where he thinks enough is enough, and concentrates on training, workshop etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    Recently I made a big change there too - given more focus to training.
    I think it's great! Usually the enemy keeper left his creatures way too weak, but now when you take time to train up, so does he. I've only tried it on levels with gem access, where it works like a charm, I do hope the focus on training doesn't cause the computer player to run out of money too soon on other maps.

I think that whenever there isn't enough gold/gems available, the main method of saving money is to don't train too many creatures, and don't scavenge too much. Using these room cost more then wages do, so either selling those rooms or preventing creatures from using them would be smart.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I think it's great! Usually the enemy keeper left his creatures way too weak, but now when you take time to train up, so does he. I've only tried it on levels with gem access, where it works like a charm, I do hope the focus on training doesn't cause the computer player to run out of money too soon on other maps.
    I played a game where computer player focused on training so much that he didn't even researched anything. This led him to having only basic kinds of creatures.
    But maybe it's not that bad of a possibility - makes computer player more random. His creatures were high level. And this has any chance of happening only if computer player has lots of gold - when his gold is low, he will remove creatures from training.

Now I finished implementing selling traps and doors - computer player will sell those put on a level, but he can also directly sell crates from workshop.
    Locked doors are never sold. This seem to work great - with my new traps counting algorithm there are no "uncounted" crates in workshop, so if only computer player gets low on money, he will keep selling the traps until he has 3/2 of payday.

I've been trying to play a lot more games recently, but I've got some strange issues often keeping me from running the game. So far the games I have managed to play work out quite well, even in the campaign I did not notice anything too funky.

Having the gold-spending algorithm work really well would be a massive boost to the quality of the AI. Train until you run out of funds and then switch to workshop sounds like a valid strategy. Warlocks would then be free to research. Perhaps a further improvement can be reached by having the keeper sacrifice some creatures when building a temple - if he focuses too much on training at the beginning he'll end up with highly trained spiders and beetles, perhaps some trolls even. Trading those for high level minions of better quality and free up supply in the process would get him back in the game if you wait to long, and still be formidable on the road there.

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    Now I finished implementing selling traps and doors - computer player will sell those put on a level, but he can also directly sell crates from workshop.
    Locked doors are never sold. This seem to work great - with my new traps counting algorithm there are no "uncounted" crates in workshop, so if only computer player gets low on money, he will keep selling the traps until he has 3/2 of payday.
    How does this work by the way? The workshop only always produces the item you have fewest of, starting with the cheapest ones. So if the CP sells off whatever he produces, you'll end up selling wooden doors and alarm-traps, which is nowhere near as efficient as selling magic doors.

Selling wooden doors gives money too.

Computer only sells until he has 3/2 of payday, so he doesn't necessarily sell all the doors and traps. I tested the new functionality and it seem to work just fine.