Thread: Revised campaign idea

Warlock

Default Revised campaign idea

Ok, I've been working on a revised campaign (namely beefing up heroes and rival keepers, while denying the use of old cheats), and I'm wondering on something for Woodly Rhyme.

Namely, I'm not sure on whether to add a Yellow Keeper to the Northeast, or maybe even have it round as an ally.

What do you think?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

Default Re: Revised campaign idea

That would make the only level to have 3 keepers to face off, but I'm kinda so-so about the idea. Actually, the game often freeze or crash because of the many amount of creatures on the level. This happened to me a lot of time in Skirmish mode.
    An ally keeper is kind of bad. We want to destroy everything, and having an ally keeper would mean to protect him at some point.
    Don't forget the heroes await in the middle of the realm for the first foolish keeper to make a free path to their dungeon. Having another keeper could totally change the way the level should work.
    Personally, the level is fine as it is.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Warlock

I'm currently going through the vanilla campaign to make it harder, and so far, what I've done is:

1) Given the rival keepers pre-built bases and full access to their portals (so as to prevent the old dig-to-trouble tactic), while your base is slightly adjusted and given rooms
    2) Given the rival Keepers and to deter rushing
    3) Made the Hero base in the middle fully hero-owned, and beefed up the hero drops, so that you have to actually attack them. However, there is a small hero army in the lake
    4) gotten rid of the transfer creature (there's a lot less of those, and will only be given in levels where they will be absolutely necessary to win the next one
    5) The Hero drops have gotten a LOT harder, and when the heroes and keepers are all defeated, a MASSIVE army is dropped in and attacks you (SOP for most realms now).
    6) Vassago had an ally Keeper though.

Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcast View Post
    The rival keepers get heroes to use? Well ok, but maybe they should get say mistresses and a dragon as evil creatures instead of the Fairy, Priestess and Knight good heroes? I mean we're talking about evil rival Keepers here aren't we?
    In my Revised campaign, the rival keepers get to use heroes from time to time, and you'd be surprised at how often the knights of old were mercenaries.

Warlock

Personally, were I in charge of Bullfrog in 1995-96, I would have done a lot of things differently for DK. Among other things, I would have bundled the editor within the game itself without having to do the WSND7r.dll thing, and I'd try to have gotten licensing rights to Slayer, Megadeth (Countdown to extinction would have been perfect for this game) and Pantera for the soundtrack rather than use the original music (or hell, have Megadeth do a promo song a la Gears of War).

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    Personally, were I in charge of Bullfrog in 1995-96, I would have done a lot of things differently for DK. Among other things, I would have bundled the editor within the game itself without having to do the WSND7r.dll thing, and I'd try to have gotten licensing rights to Slayer, Megadeth (Countdown to extinction would have been perfect for this game) and Pantera for the soundtrack rather than use the original music (or hell, have Megadeth do a promo song a la Gears of War).
    Haha, noooooooooo, the original DK music is perfect! Some of the most atmospheric ambient/industrial stuff ive ever heard in a game :P

As for the main topic, id love to play this revised campaign. But i think something has to be done to improve enemy AI too. DK would be such a great(er) game if you actually felt in danger from the enemy keepers and couldnt just rush them right at the start of a level and experience little opposition hah. When i played through the campaign recently i was amazed how trivial victory was, made me wonder what the hell was wrong with me when i was 15 years old and kept getting stuck haha

Warlock

1) It's just the same piece looping over and over again once every 4 levels, and you need to listen to at least some of Megadeth's stuff (especially some stuff on Peace Sells) between 1985-1992 (Mustaine could have written a whole album for this game),

2) my plans include:

- Beefed up hero waves (as in you can expect losses when fighting heroes)
    - The rival keepers cannot be rushed (they claim their portal automatically) are protected from rushing by various means
    - The LoTL comes in with a MASSIVE army when he arrives.
    - The rival keepers have immediate access to gems and have prebuilt bases, while in some cases they have or can attract heroes

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    1) It's just the same piece looping over and over again once every 4 levels, and you need to listen to at least some of Megadeth's stuff (especially some stuff on Peace Sells) between 1985-1992 (Mustaine could have written a whole album for this game),
    Ever thought of the notion that a neutral, fitting piece of music is a better marketable choice than something just a marginal group of fans would like? I'd feel horrible to play with that music, but to each their own. It's not like you can't play the music in the background if you want to hear something else aside from the standard game music.
    There is absoluetly nothing wrong with DK Mobile, whatsoever.

Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Skarok View Post
    Ever thought of the notion that a neutral, fitting piece of music is a better marketable choice than something just a marginal group of fans would like? I'd feel horrible to play with that music, but to each their own. It's not like you can't play the music in the background if you want to hear something else aside from the standard game music.
    I'll put this in a separate thread to stop the derail.