Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for players Game ranger

Default Looking for players Game ranger

My name on game ranger is Willia and my email is [email protected]

Please add me to friends on game ranger and we can play

Im only playing the game with people who have the latest updated version from GOG as it included a HW accelerator patch that fixes all the crap that we used to get whilst playing
    in short it fixes

-The ability to use HW Acceleration
    -The ability use QSouns
    -chat in multiplayer games
    -random crashes
    -game menu mouse moving slowly weirdly

With all of these fixes the game looks and plays a ton better

You can get the latest version from GOG games http://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2
    The game is only $5.99 however if your to broke.. I have bought the game and it has no copy protection in it so I will happily provide you with a download for it
    I would just post the link here but im guessing that is prohibited? anyway either add me on Gameranger or message me here and ill send u a link
    (Let me be clear I do not support piracy however this game is so old I doubt its doing anyone any harm and I want to play it online with a stable version..)

Ok so the new version comes with 2 exe files 1 is the original DKII.exe and one is the file made by the GOG staff with the patch it has a slightly different file name of DKII-DX.exe

When you start Dungeon keeper yourself on your computer it automatically starts with the new file and everything works great however if your playing online with something like Gameranger then it attempts to start the game with the old and original exe files (This runs the game but with all the old issues)

So to play online with the new and improved version you need to make a couple of changes ill outline them for you below.

Go to you DK2 install folder and find the file called DKII.exe and change the file name to anything really "DKII-old.exe" or something

Now find the new exe file in the folder and change that file to DKII.exe

Now download and install Gameranger and start playing!
    Dont forget to add me!!!!
    Last edited by Ilikenoodles; January 5th, 2014 at 18:41.

Beetle

Default Re: Looking for players Game ranger

I wish you the best of luck. I think a lot of the people here use 1.3 or 1.5 due to smarter AI vs the braindead one in 1.7. And also the few games I have seen and played in 1.7, people often Black Knight spam, which makes the maps cheap and boring, defined on who built the pit first.

If you ever decide to go down to v1.3 and download DK2 Balance Patch, I would happily play games with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonji View Post
    I wish you the best of luck. I think a lot of the people here use 1.3 or 1.5 due to smarter AI vs the braindead one in 1.7. And also the few games I have seen and played in 1.7, people often Black Knight spam, which makes the maps cheap and boring, defined on who built the pit first.

If you ever decide to go down to v1.3 and download DK2 Balance Patch, I would happily play games with you.
    I dident realise it had broken AI in 1.7
    Thing is Ide happily play the version most people are playing but you cant use hardware acceleration in those versions right? and they crash all the time? and the mouse moves funny at the main menu? or not I dont know I just wanna play the game online stable!

Im using windows 7 btw.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikenoodles View Post
    I dident realise it had broken AI in 1.7
    Thing is Ide happily play the version most people are playing but you cant use hardware acceleration in those versions right? and they crash all the time? and the mouse moves funny at the main menu? or not I dont know I just wanna play the game online stable!

Im using windows 7 btw.
    I think the Gog version is fairly stable from what I recall others saying, but I know the vanilla 1.7 is the most unstable version of the game while 1.3 is the more stable version. Hardware acceleration doesn't work in any of the non-gog versions of the game though. I don't have any problem with the mouse though.

And I'm using Windows 8, which sucks.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I think the Gog version is fairly stable from what I recall others saying, but I know the vanilla 1.7 is the most unstable version of the game while 1.3 is the more stable version. Hardware acceleration doesn't work in any of the non-gog versions of the game though. I don't have any problem with the mouse though.

And I'm using Windows 8, which sucks.
    I have to be honest the GOG version is without ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT the most stable version of the game I have EVER played and ive played them all at one time or another I bought this game retail when it came out
    (Yeah im old lol)

its a shame the AI is crap tho.. But i havent noticed anything wrong with it would any of you be willing to test it and see what its like in a skirmish on your own? I can provide you a download for this version for "testing" purpouses

I have to be honest the GOG version is without ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT the most stable version of the game I have EVER played and ive played them all at one time or another I bought this game retail when it came out
    (Yeah im old lol)
    1.3 I've never had an issue with crashing or a serious issue anywho. I haven't bothered with Gog but I can't imagine it needing to be much better than what 1.3 has. It's stable enough and the 1.7 changes aren't worth it in my opinion. Besides, I don't play the vanilla game anymore anyways as I can't stand it without my Balance Patch, which only works with 1.3 due to 1.7's various issues.

its a shame the AI is crap tho.. But i havent noticed anything wrong with it would any of you be willing to test it and see what its like in a skirmish on your own? I can provide you a download for this version for "testing" purpouses
    AI doesn't really attack or defend properly from what I recall. I think it has a problem recognizing threats. Though to be honest I'm not really interested in taking the time to reconfirm what has already been confirmed just because someone new and unfamiliar asks so. I know Hapuga is much more familiar with the AI differences between the different versions of the game.

Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

Play 1.7. Then play 1.3 The AI is totally messed up in the newer versions, e.g. it will never drop creatures, actually attack, it's worse at digging out gold, etc.
    There is absoluetly nothing wrong with DK Mobile, whatsoever.

Beetle

I have a pretty good knowledge on 1.7, I used to play it all the time til the last few months when I went to 1.3.

AI problems
    -Brain dead AI, it will sometimes downright do nothing and never build a dungeon other than Treasury, I have seen this a lot in the past.
    -They fail to gather gold worth a shit, I have seen times where there will be a gold seam as the wall of one of their damn rooms and they will never mine it, even if they have 0 gold and creatures getting pissed. Same with gems, unless whoever made the map downright made it so they never stop mining the gem, they will sometimes not even notice it.
    - They are neither aggressive or defensive. They will rarely attack you other than if set to Psychotic which usually is suicidal. And they never build doors and rarely build traps to help defend their dungeon.
    - The AI doesn't really recognize being attacked, this is the BIGGEST problem in my opinion. You could pretty much attack and kill an enemies Dungeon Heart and other than a few roaming creatures and imps, they won't make no attempt to save themselves.

Multiplayer
    - This isn't really a problem with the game, just personal experience doing a few 1.7 games. People are usually assholes (no offense) and will literally just build a lair, hatchery, combit pit, claim portal then rush for the enemy. I have seen games last literally 5-10 minutes which is no fun and doesn't mean the person that did the rush is good. This is a reason I love Rex's patch, Black Knights are still powerful but they can't be spammed for multiple reasons.

1. Combat pit is the most expensive room, costing 62500 for a 5x5 room which is needed to start attracting them, vs in the default game where a 3x3 will attract one and a 5x5 was only like 18k...
    2. Black Knights are expensive, they have a starting payday of 7000 gold at level 1, another problem with default game, where the most expensive unit was the King at only I think 2500 at level 10.
    3. While still being powerful, with a hard hitting attack and tons of health, they got noticable weaknesses. They got a 3 second stun so they can pretty much be stunlocked with Keeper Lighting or Mistress Lightning, and also got a long attack speed, taking I think 5 seconds before each attack.

1.3 on the other hand.
    -The game does crash, but usually not often, just remember to save the game more than once or twice the entire map, I usually save every 20-30 minutes.
    -The AI is smart, it will pose a threat to even humans players, even killing ones with ease if they are used to 1.7
    -They are good at mining gold
    -They are pretty good at defending and attacking

That is all I know about 1.3 since I downloaded Rex's patch pretty much right after I got 1.3

With the Patch
    -Totally redesigns the game quite a bit, it would take a while for me to explain these so your better looking up the Patch in Rex's signature and reading it.
    -They are very good at mining gold, they will go even to the other side of the map to get gold.
    -They are deadly effective in advancing in enemy territory and attacking. They will aggressively assault Keepers or Heroes with a bloodlust. They will use most or all their creatures in fighting and will use Call to Arms the right way, you will have to defeat their entire army if you plan to kill them.
    -They are very skilled at Keeper Spells as well as saving creatures, it isn't uncommon seeing the Heal,Lightning,Protect,Chicken,Turncoat used on stronger creatures, Inferno being used to their best abilities, and they won't just let their creatures all die easily, you will never usually kill their entire army in one battle, they are good at saving most their creatures.
    -They use doors and traps to their best abilities, it isn't uncommon seeing a lot of their empty tiles having traps on them.

I hope this helps, might turn you to trying a 1.3 version of the game and seeing the differences, then maybe download the Patch and seeing the insane differences. There should be link to v1.3 on The Kasabian Campaign, I think on page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonji View Post
    This is a reason I love Rex's patch, Black Knights are still powerful but they can't be spammed for multiple reasons.
    I think I'll keep you. You're like a walking advertisement.

Tesonu is napping!

dling game ranger now hope to play with you soon if you want you can add me on tha face book
    https://www.facebook.com/ross.watkins.14