Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skeleton Invasion (New Map)

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Skeleton Invasion (New Map)

Skeleton Invasion

Pretty basic, just go around and kill people to turn them into skeletons. Fun! There's no way to obtain creatures other than using skeletons. If skeletons had a tutorial map, it would be this one. There's a very basic set of technology. You can win sometimes sooner than others...
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; November 15th, 2009 at 11:18.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Default Re: Skeleton Invasion (New Map)

You are unable to get to the room in the east containing 4? level 5 wizards and one level 10 because of a fortified wall

Quote Originally Posted by aXidal View Post
    You are unable to get to the room in the east containing 4? level 5 wizards and one level 10 because of a fortified wall
    Fixed.

Tesonu is napping!

I did not finish this level, got stuck with the place where the Ninja shoot everything.

To tell you the truth, I hated this level.
    For these reasons:
    1. The prison is to small, so most of the time is wasted to wait until a prisoner dies, in order to bring a new prisoner there.
    2. No imp spell, only one imp, so everything goes extremely slowly. I don't know why you took out the imp spell, because it is making the level rather annoying. Because of the very small prison, enemies come to your Dungeon Heart, most players will loose their imps, having only 1 imp for all the work that has to be done.
    3. No tunnellers. All initiative is done by the player. This does not have to be a problem, but in this level it is, because all steps are predictable.

I think in order to make this level fun to play, you have to change some things. An imp spell, or some extra imps on the map, when the gems is reached. Well, don't do as I say, I only say what I would have done. I mean, having no portal is already a big sacrifice, but having no portal and no imp spell, combined to a to small prison, is making it very hard to get any fun there. You succeeded in making a fun level without a portal with your Magic Might level, that I enjoyed very much.

If there was any fun in this level, I would be motivated to find a way to get past these Samurai, however impossible this seems to me with one imp and no training room.

No portal, no training room, no imp spel, no gold because 1 imp can not produce enough, no library... boring level.

1. I gave a Graveyard and Torture Chamber for alternatives between Skeletons and Vampires. I did NOT want it any bigger because that would make it too easy. I played through it and found it already kinda easy when you simply gather so many Skeletons. Just be patient.

2. I'll change that a little bit, I did make it so that if you lost you're beginning imps, you'd be stuck with one and if you lost that one too soon, you'd have to wait for another to appear. In the script.

3. Where would I put them? I didn't actually know where.

Alot of things were going on at the time of it's creation which is why it turned out so bad, I was stressed about a number of things and thus did not think too clearly. However, I will NOT add a Training Room for the obvious massive Skeleton level 10 Lightning spamming pawnaging army reasons.

Edit-
    Don't expect it anytime soon, it'll be ready when it is.

Tesonu is napping!

I did something real quick, nothing final just something to give you that's better. There's now a graveyard, and some spells.
    Edit-
    Hold on, uploaded the wrong file...
    Edit2-
    Fixed, enjoy for now.
    Last edited by Metal Gear Rex; November 15th, 2009 at 11:18.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    ... so many Skeletons...
    From a prison that only can hold 3 prisoners, because it has no walls. If you want to give the player a skeleton army, you should have a bigger prison, or walls around it, so it can hold more prisoners. 3 Prisoners, waiting for one to turn into a Skeleton takes ages.

Well, it will be great to attack these 3 Samurai level 8 behind lava with Vampires level 1. O great, Vampires level 1, no training room. I think if i slap 300 imps with my hand, I can try to defeat those 3 Samurai level 8. Not sure whether I will win, but I can try. I can't cross the lava with climbing in the creature, because of the freeze spell by the Samurai. But I can throw Skeletons level 4 and Vampires level 1 there, if my level 1 imp survives long enough, maybe the Samurais get tired. 1 Imp level 1. If you wait long enough, for your script to be so benevolent to give you 1 imp level 1.

Vampires level 1.
    How exiting.
    Skeletons level 4.

The torture room is for ghosts?
    At least Ghosts level 1 can fly, so will maybe almost reach the 3 Samurai level 8, before thet fall into the lava. Well, not, because there is no call to arms.

So you let the player without an imp, once a prisoner escapes and reached the Dungeon Heart in order to kill all imps. No doors, no workshop, just sleeping Vampires level one. O, a lair. At least you have a lair.

Thanks for explaining why you made no training room. And no workshop, not being able to build a decent prison myself, no Call to Arms spell...
    But can you explain than, why you do not have an imp spell at least some where on the map? Are imps level 1 enforcing the 3 skeletons level 4 to much?
    Skeleton army.

Look at the updated map, much better now. There are spells but you have to find them. Make sure to look everywhere in the North before moving south, and the Samurais are much easier to take care of now. If you find the "Secret Prison"

Though, as you know, I'd have to remodel the Hero Fortress for a larger Prison which would take a bit longer and I was getting tired last night.

Tesonu is napping!

Talking Re: Skeleton Invasion (New Map)

I'm having some problems with my new computer. I would buy that last week. I spend 2 days searching for a way to play Dungeon Keeper on Vista, and am able to play it with KeeperFX now. But Mefistotelis has put some horrible new creature.txt in the program, and I don't want to play Dungeon Keeper with this nonsense. I have to find an older version of KeeperFX, or maybe I can try to delete this creature.txt from the KeeperFX software. I'll maybe play your level again, when I have solved these problems.

What I was thinking about is Abbadon, the only original Dungeon Keeper level level I know, without a portal: There are four 9 tiled prisons there, having walls around them, so they can contain 6 prisoners. I am not sure about the number, but because of the walls around these 4 prisons, they can contain more prisoners than the 1 unwalled prison as you had build. If the prison is to small there, the creatures can be picked up and put in other prisons, not lying some where in the dungeon having to kicked out every time. Than the parties you have to fight in Abbadon, are much smaller. In your level though, well the first version, the parties contain so many creatures, like more than 9, that I was most of the time busy with waiting for prisoners to die. Maybe you understand that with the current version of KeeperFX, it is impossible to play you level, only 1 in 5 prisoners return to skeletons, but still occupy prison space.

I really had a horrible time playing your level, I must say.
    I liked Abbadon a lot, but in Abbadon there are 3 Keepers having a portal, so there are much random occurences there, it's Dungeon Keeper.

Another reason why Abbadon is fun, is because there is a Graveyard. To small, but a graveyard that is to small is no problem, it reduces payday costs.

What do you think a player experiences, if he can not train it's Orcs to level 5?
    I mean, training Orcs to level 5 is fun, but having skeletons and no training room is no fun. Whatever strategic arguments you come up with. Both Skeletons and Orcs have training as their first job, so if you want the situation you place the Dungeon Keeper in to be fun, there should be a way for the Dungeon Keeper to make it's Creatures happy. How many times one sees all Skeletons and Orcs praying in the temple, because they can not train, because they are already level 10. You take away the Portal, big sacrifice, than you take away the Training room, while you give Orcs and Skeletons, as little as possible, on levels where they have no spells. Skeletons get armor spell at level 6, Orcs get speed at level 5. If there is no training room, they should be able to fight to come to a next level, but this is very hard to design, and your level succeeds no where near levelling from fights. First condition would be, they do not die in these fights, that is very very hard without a heal spell, as with wizards that often level up in fights. It's stupid, because Orcs and Skeletons are most excellent and fast levelling in the Training, while get killed most quickly in fights. Just some examples. I mean, you can have strategic thoughts and all, but making a fun level is not about strategy, it is very easy to make a difficult level.

Calling a level with such a small prison "Skeleton Army" is also something where you give a very big disappointment to Player0. A level with such a name, I would expect a huge prison, available for building without research. Where you have to fight some large powerfull enemy, not 3 Samurai. Where the typical sides of Skeletons are exploited, like lava where they can use lightning, romance, and a Bile Demon that is being fooled. Skeletons are the most loyal creatures I know, because they don't go to the Hatchery all the time but stay on their post, best ones to guard a treasure room. If you give such a name to a level, the story should be used, not some strategy from the heroes side. Well maybe not, that's not the point. The point here is that a title gives expectations, if these expectations get frustrated, you will get stories like this one...

Uhh... I'm not reading all that but Abbandon was only Heroes. There was no Dungeon Keeper. And Mefisto was trying to rework a feature he found. No need to attack him on that.

Tesonu is napping!