Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Design (Programming)

Default Re: Engine Design (Programming)

Ladies and gentlemen... Looks like we have a winner =D
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Man, join our team, now!

You sound motivated and why should you do everything yourself when we already have 3D Models, 2D Texture artists, Conceptual artists, level builders, story writers, a team of coders already working hard on an already successful engine that has been re-written to allow normal maps & advanced lighting/etc

we already have the website, and a working forum!

one of us! one of us! one of us!

join forces - it's the right thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Blutonium View Post
    a team of coders already working hard on an already successful engine that has been re-written to allow normal maps & advanced lighting/etc
    Thats the point I really want to discuss with coders - NBKE doesn't look successful to me, but I'm sure we can get over it.

Anyway, designing the engine is something that could be done withoput worring about 3d models and other art. And current problem I encountered is defining dungeon block's geometry.

My first approch was generating it on the fly, based on a large set of coefficients, but basic problems with that are:
    - it could be slow. In order to make it fast, it should be done in a separate thread (since most of the CPUs now are multi-core, it wont lower the FPS)
    - it is complex for artist to define custom geometry

So, now I'm experimenting with pre-generating block geometry in 3d-editor. This way, you define a quarter of block, and for each block types combination, 8 variations of this quarter. In the engine, a block is constructed from 4 quarters.
    After that, a noise is applied to randomize the dungeon look.

I also started this discussion about generating buffer for visible dungeon blocks.

I just have a few things to ask about your engine and a few things to comment on . We may scrap the old one and use this if it turns out better

Noise is added in NBKE when it's enabled in the source. What it currently does and does quite quickly as far as I know is it generates the noise for all blocks at the beginning when it loads the map. Then it regenerates a block when an adjacent block or itself changes.

At the moment, I think the source is using glLists to render everything. So I am not entirely sure what you mean by DIPs. Unless by that you mean draw calls.

Lighting is currently done by rendering static lights by using the glLight variable then reusing them. They are stored within a list as far as I know.

Now for the questions:
    1- Would it be possible to code the rendering in openGL for cross-platform support?
    2- Would it be possible to make it modular so that is is easy to replace a subsystem?
    3- Would it be possible for me to get hold of the code so I can have a look how you've coded it all?
    4- You're welcome to join the coding team. PM me you msn addy and I'll talk to you over that

I just have a few things to ask about your engine and a few things to comment on . We may scrap the old one and use this if it turns out better

Noise is added in NBKE when it's enabled in the source. What it currently does and does quite quickly as far as I know is it generates the noise for all blocks at the beginning when it loads the map. Then it regenerates a block when an adjacent block or itself changes.

At the moment, I think the source is using glLists to render everything. So I am not entirely sure what you mean by DIPs. Unless by that you mean draw calls.

Lighting is currently done by rendering static lights by using the glLight variable then reusing them. They are stored within a list as far as I know.

Now for the questions:
    1- Would it be possible to code the rendering in openGL for cross-platform support?
    2- Would it be possible to make it modular so that is is easy to replace a subsystem?
    3- Would it be possible for me to get hold of the code so I can have a look how you've coded it all?

You're welcome to join the coding team. PM me you msn addy and I'll talk to you over that

Yep, DIP is draw call. Sorry for the confusion, I'm just very used to DirectX.
    Quote Originally Posted by nebster View Post
    Why would you need cross-platform for a game? Writing cross-platform complicates things for me.

Again, why would you replace a subsystem?

Sure, as soon as I make it readable, I'll share it.

Check out your PM.

Demon Spawn

I guess NBKE also uses only OpenGL 2?! This should be considered. Some features have already been removed in 3.x

Quote Originally Posted by Kopavel View Post
    Yep, DIP is draw call. Sorry for the confusion, I'm just very used to DirectX.
    It's fine, I'm used to openGL

Why would you need cross-platform for a game? Writing cross-platform complicates things for me.
    The reason being that it makes it more compatible and I use linux as much as I can because it doesn't crash that often. Windows really doesn't like this laptop. I'm sure other people love using linux too

Again, why would you replace a subsystem?
    For the reason that if you wanted to code it in DirectX, I could easily just port of it easily to use OpenGL for example. This means I can easily do all the extra work just by changing a file or so (For example in NBKE/WFTO it's RenderManager.cpp)

Sure, as soon as I make it readable, I'll share it.

Check out your PM.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. I've added you in wlm. You mention skype, if you add me in that (I PM'd you), I can also talk over that

Quote Originally Posted by Trass3r View Post
    I guess NBKE also uses only OpenGL 2?! This should be considered. Some features have already been removed in 3.x
    All features that have been implemented, I think they're still in 3.x as far as I know. People were expecting all the deprecated features to be removed but most of them weren't

one of us! one of us! one of us!
    join us, come with us, we will feed you, join us.

oh, and

I <3 linux

Demon Spawn

All features that have been implemented, I think they're still in 3.x as far as I know. People were expecting all the deprecated features to be removed but most of them weren't
    Afaik everything deprecated in 3.0 was removed in 3.1, and those of 3.1 were removed in 3.2 like immediate mode and all the fixed pipeline stuff.