Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Living in Possession

Default Living in Possession

Do you think it would be possible to add a few functions to the possession spell?
    My goal is to be able to stay in possession mode for an entire game without having to get out of it at all unless death occurs.
    Here are my ideas.

1. Eating chickens in possession. You can do this in dungeon keeper 2 until you have eaten a certain amount of chickens.
    And in dk1 you can smack chickens but it does not kill them or feed the minion. It is the biggest problem of long term possession because my health slowly goes down. So if I am in a creature that has a long walk to go and don't have a heal spell I am in trouble.

2. Dropping gold onto a treasury picked up from mining as an imp.

3. Fortifying walls by claimed tiles as an imp.

4. Picking up money needed by each creature from a treasury on payday.

5. Training in the training room in possession.

6. Working in a workshop in possession.

7. Picking up traps from the workshop and dropping them where they go as an imp.

I have thought about these possibilities for a while and have always wished I could do more in possession.
    I don't know if these are possible but mefisto would know of its possibility.
    At least tell me which ones are possible and which ones are not.
    And throw more ideas my way too!

Beetle

Default Re: Living in Possession

Not to be rude but what would be fun about this? If it is possible at all, it would probably take a bit of work, and for what gain? Possessing a creature and doing daily dungeon life doesn't sound entertaining. I can see Possession maps that revolved around combat being fun but those exist already. Maybe it is just me though, I just think if this was possible, that time and effort could be better used with improving and fixing bugs or making new maps.

I guess making more imp actions available in possession mode would require a lot of the game rewritten. Even the dig action is limited in possession mode, e.g. standing in front of a wall the game does not "know" if you want to dig or fortify it. Therefore additional fortify action to chose would be needed and this would require to write it new. Also other actions would need this. Just some thoughts, I´m not a coder but it seems so.
    It is clear that possession was meant as an addition to the game, not as a replacement for the keeper view.
    Last edited by Noanechu; January 29th, 2014 at 16:57.

Beetle

Exactly, I can see possession based maps about combat being made, since that is already possible, but these ideas are way too much work for if any benefit at all. It is a nice idea, don't get me wrong, but it isn't worth it since it is a lot of work for what almost everyone would ignore.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: TrippyDaze

Fantastic idea, I'll give you that. I am inclined to agree with the rest of the comments though. It is a very impractical re-write of the game's code. Maybe if more people felt strongly about it (I do think it's a great idea), it can be petitioned?

Beetle

It would come down to if Mefisto feels like doing it.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

While I personally would enjoy the feature, I do not think it is something that should really be considered at this point. Even if it were fairly straightforward to code, there's always the potential bugs it could add or other related issues that are not really worth it for something extra. I'd rather see progress made to improve Keeper AI even further or adding more flexibility for map designers. Bypassing the 64 IF command limit and other limitations is something that would make me eager to work with DK1 again. I'd certainly enjoy trying to create a very elaborate map.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Shonji View Post
    It would come down to if Mefisto feels like doing it.
    Mefisto made it open source, so anybody could pitch in.

Thanks for all the replies everyone I just wanted to see how people would react to my idea.
    My point for coming up with this is personal to the point where I would make a dungeon with my buddy in a multiplayer match. And set silly rules just for fun such as "Pick a creature to possess" And you cannot leave that creature until you get killed. Then we would find eachother in game and just duke it out. Or try to team up and fight the computer or something like that. This is where I am coming from.

As for claiming walls as an imp I understand it might be weird putting it as an attack but what if you just set it to the spacebar or something like that?
    I am only trying to throw in possibilities and ideas I came up with from playing this game so long.

The MAIN ones I want are eating chickens and training in a training room. along with all the imp ones.