Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Torture chamber torturer

somewhere fun (i tell a lie it's actually quite boring, oh I wish I lived in liechstenstein)

Default Torture chamber torturer

I don't know if this has already been discussed but I was wondering whether or not people wanted the original style of torture from DK1. In The original the best bit about the torture chamber (for me) and one of the biggest incentives for torturing creatures was the different torture animations. I think that that it would be cool if this was brought back. Although I can see where it would be difficult modelling and animating it. Also if it is implemented in some way there could be torturers hanging out of reinforced walls working in a similair way to the the torture stuff on the reinforced walls in dk2. I know there's quite a few people who like the Dk2 torure room style so maybe this could be implemented as a type of torture device or the torturer could walk around the torture chamber torturing people when he sees them. IMO the torturer is a must have because he produced some of the most funny bits of the entire game like him repeatedly turning the wizard into a frog with his own wand.

Imp
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: lunanoko

Default Re: Torture chamber torturer

I really didn't like the DK1 torture chamber compared to the one from DK2. I do however, like the idea of a single torturer walking through the room. But I don't know what the role of the mistress would be then? Maybe they help the main torturer by whipping their victims?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

I agree, the Dk1 style of torture brought a great deal of character to the game. It brought insight as to what certain creatures found the most painful (i do NOT envy the troll, childless he shall remain).

I'm personally amazed that anyone could have a disposition towards the DK1 torture that wasn't on the posotive side of neutral, but as a compromise the single torturer would work. I wouldn't mind the keeper allocating him to whichever creature was... say, the toughest nut to crack.

For example, the Lord of the Land is the personification of good. That, and he's a tank. I doubt he's going to truly bow before a keeper due to a little pain - he'd much rather die. A personalized torture, like a fellow hero being murdered infront of him, however, might turn his views around.
    And mistriss. They like being tortured, YES? So they aren't likely to convert from being tortured. So they'd need a personalized torture that isn't really torture - something that doesn't hurt the masochists, but rather provokes their lust to be hurt. Like... standing in the corner of the torture chamber and watching the fun the master torturer is having with another victim.

And Mistriss would still function with the lone master torturer, methinks, as they could provide contrast. EVIL BASTARD cop, not so evil bastard and easy on the eyes cop. There are very few professions that can't benefit from an assistant or collegues.

General thoughts on the Torture Chamber and what not:

I think that when you place enemies in the torture chamber, it should take up mana. I mean, merely torturing someone of the Hero persuasion wouldn't be enough to just convert them. No, you need to corrupt them by way of magic. The Torture chamber mana consumption would be used to weaken the subjects' wills, and make seconds seem like hours.

Corrupted hero characters should also take on a slightly altered appearance to convey their corrupted personality. Paler skin, darker eyes, scars, different coloured clothes .etc

Personalised torture: Good idea. I feel the worst torture for a dark mistress would be all sensory deprivation. IE: her vision and hearing are blocked by way of a mental box, and her arms and legs are bound together like a straightjacket, allowing no movement. Her death would result in suicide, via biting her own tongue and bleeding to death (unnecessary detail, but it helps in explaining the health loss).

somewhere fun (i tell a lie it's actually quite boring, oh I wish I lived in liechstenstein)

I never liked the DK2 torure chamber it was too boring (but you did have that element of choice or at least the illusion of one). I completely agree with searing flame. There should probably be a bonus for using a torturer. I would love the idea of having the corrupted heroes changing slightly but it would involve quite a bit of extra work and also with some of the characters from dk2 it wouldn't work (a knight would end up looking too much like a black knight). I don't think that it should take up mana to torture someone because you already use mana when healing them and in some cases loads of mana (you can either have people lose health or use mana you can't have both). I'm curious to know what people think an updated torturer would look like. I picture him as quite a mechanic being.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Consoles Suck XFIRE ID: Searingflame2 Steam ID: Admortis

Hmm, funny that. I invision the torturer as being a robed figure who enjoys carrying around stuff like barbed wire and chains.

He walks with his arms behind his back or wielding his weapons at his side, and is constantly standing as tall as he can and pointing his chin up.

He laughs as if he enjoys nothing more then the pain of others, and he often coughs after fits of hilarity due to his own withered soul.

so you want actual characters instead of machines?

Well natchoguy I like the idea of a torturer on every torture machine like in DK1 like as part of the machine but I know some people (inexplicably) don't like this. The idea of having him as a seperate character but still as part of the torture room adds more variation gameplay wise. I just think he should definetly be in it. searingflame2 I also thought of him as a dark robed figure but I never imagined him with eyes or a soul like a mechanical being not physically mechanical looking but not truly alive either. Almost like a shell possesed by a demon.
    Last edited by tehbassdemon; November 12th, 2009 at 20:55.

My idea for the torture chamber:

Every 5x5 torture chamber should generate a Torturer.
    -The torturer does not count toward your maximum creature count.
    -It cant be picked up, killed or anything like that.

The Torturer wanders the torture chamber only and tortures one of your "clients", but he can only attend one at the time, so the mistress can still torture "clients".

Torturer its like having a free mistress in the torture chamber... excepto it does not waste time torture herself like most of the time in DK2... and actually concentrate in torturing people. The Mistress can still torture people if there is more than 1 "client" in the torture chamber or the torturer cant attend every "client"
    Last edited by Dark_Omega MK2; November 12th, 2009 at 22:23.

Good idea, I agree.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif