Thread: DK Mobile - BBC article

Default DK Mobile - BBC article

I was having my morning cup of coffee and browsing the BBC news website when I stumbled upon this article: EA faces criticism over mobile Dungeon Keeper game - this is the first I'd heard of the new app, but I was even more pleasantly surprised to see Subterranean Games get a brief mention and screen shot included of their game War for the Overworld! Absolutely terrific stuff. I can remember when this project was just a few enthusiastic KK members with an ambitious plan, so to see them get a mention on a truly worldwide website is an incredible feat and a testament to all their hardwork and dedication. Well done guys.

Alex / Patrician

Default Re: DK Mobile - BBC article

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcast View Post
    I'm just curious, how many people actually seriously play mobile games? I have zero interest in them so I'm pretty neutral about the D.K. mobile game.
    I've played the occasional mobile game now and then. Some can be pretty fun and addictive (read: Angry Birds), and sometimes they are just convenient when you're stuck in e.g. a bus without any other handheld game devices. Smartphones are generally small enough to conveniently bring along everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcast View Post
    Are people really spending hundreds of pounds in currency to build dungeons in the D.K. mobile game?
    Most people don't spend more than the one buck to buy the game (I hope). But I know of examples where some people with too much time/money have spent crazy amounts of cash for their virtual dollhouse (although I don't know if that's happened yet with DK).

The Awakening

Beetle

I view it as no different than the games on Facebook and such social cites. There is a lot of people that are a little too interested in those games than is healthy and throw countless amounts of money into it. I knew someone that would constantly spend money for anything that took longer then like an hour to do. Easily spending scary amounts ($200- 1000) a month. It is clear EA already knows the game is a flunk, what with the in my opinion illegal way they make it so you can't rate the game other than 5 stars(any other option makes you write out a ticket and WON'T show your results) and is also looking for those short of people. They gonna fall flat on their face since they made nothing more than a money grabbing game. Normally you hide that stuff into the gameplay, this failure openly and repeatedly shoves it down your throat.

But this is EA, they lost all value years ago and are only digging their hole deeper and deeper. I am not surprised they did something like this. Being just a gamer I only hope one day they finally stop being the giant asshole company and start making quality games again. No more shovelware or DLC abuse and crap like that, that or just enough people get a brain and stop feeding the company and force them to do above or fade away. Seeing as how they have been since who knows how long, can't say it will be too bad for the industry if EA ceased to exist.

Sure there's no reason to have bad feelings, hostile? definitely no need to be hostile, but disappointed? I'm sure a lot of people are very disappointed. They're unashamedly making it clear to us as consumers what their priorities are. The only shame is that we allow it. The mobile market is going to become a cesspool if more and more companies start adopting this behaviour of producing games that are unbearably slow, or extremely difficult to complete without micro-transactions.

There's a lot of money in it, and it makes sense to explore this avenue, but now it's getting to a point where games companies (King, specifically, but don't get me started on King) are producing algorithms to trick us into spending. The game isn't a game any more because we're the ones being played, and unfortunately a lot of the general public are still too ignorant to realise what is happening. There is a growing distrust and paranoia between the consumer and the bigger companies that produce these games, and this worries me greatly.

EA can assert their copyright claim to the Dungeon Keeper franchise by... y'know, actually making a GOOD, honest and enjoyable game too.
    Last edited by devilhood; February 14th, 2014 at 19:43.

Beetle

Quote Originally Posted by devilhood View Post
    Sure there's no reason to have bad feelings, hostile? definitely no need to be hostile, but disappointed? I'm sure a lot of people are very disappointed. They're unashamedly making it clear to us as consumers what their priorities are. The only shame is that we allow it. The mobile market is going to become a cesspool if more and more companies start adopting this behaviour of producing games that are unbearably slow, or extremely difficult to complete without micro-transactions.

There's a lot of money in it, and it makes sense to explore this avenue, but now it's getting to a point where games companies (King, specifically, but don't get me started on King) are producing algorithms to trick us into spending. The game isn't a game any more because we're the ones being played, and unfortunately a lot of the general public are still too ignorant to realise what is happening. There is a growing distrust and paranoia between the consumer and the bigger companies that produce these games, and this worries me greatly.

EA can assert their copyright claim to the Dungeon Keeper franchise by... y'know, actually making a GOOD, honest and enjoyable game too.
    Your final two sentences hit the nail on the head. Its this general hate between the two that is teh reason games aren't as great as they used to be. The big industry think we are either A. Cash cows for them. or B. Assholes that should be ignored and force fed their shit they give.

It used to be about pleasing the customer and getting a good reputation which in turn got you the money they want, but that should be second priority. Money keeps them going yes I know, but quality people and games and getting a reputation is what should be most important. Hence why companies like EA and Activision, while being EXTREMELY successful, are both hated. Both have such a bad mentality of money=everything that they would kill you for a dollar if they were allowed to. I mean looks at the whole EA being worst company thing, twice, and probably a third soon enough. It is clear a lot of people are mad at them and it shows they still could care less what we think. Until they start losing money, which they would probably blame the poor studios or the general pubic.

And the customers are angry because of the above. Most feel that we are being screwed by the big guys, from being force fed shovelware and the little companies either get destroyed through the big guys killing them off (Bullfrog for example) or making it as hard on them as possible. Customer support doesn't even exist for the most part anymore, as far as most big companies are concerned, once they got your money, you can die in a hole, they could mostly care less about your complaints. And one of my personal most hatreds is a tie between abusive micro transactions/DLC as well as dumb gamers. Micros are a stable in FREE TO PLAY games, it's how they make money. It should always be either things that are cosmetic, or convienence items like say there is enchant failure in a game, an item that is a get out of jail free is fine by me. Mounts in games where you gotta pay for them is fine by me, you don't NEED them, but it is nice to have them since they are faster than running. But when you start adding in things that are literal pay2win items (my examples are either stat boosting items that are needed to beat certain things like bosses, or an item that you NEED to continue a questline....and trust me, this does exist, I have seen games where you needed a cash shop item to continue a story, you could buy it in the market from someone else, but it was expensive.) This creates roadblocks that are totally unnessesary and destroy the game for almost everyone. I remember a game in the past did something like this, called Fallen Earth. IT was a Fallout MMO pretty much. It was doing pretty good until they did this crap and it is a ghost town compared to before, and will never recover. And worst to come is recent games that you paid the big $60 price and those have micros in them as well, which is totally bullshit. There is no reason short of being greedy assholes to have that when its 60 per game. I feel Micros should only be in F2P games, period. Then comes the dumb, uninformed, ignorant gamer. Most or less the ones that allow shovelware like CoD and Madden be successful. Those two games are the bane of the gaming industry as a whole since you aren't getting anything new and yet they call them new games. With Madden really fucking you since all your getting is a new teams and that is it. There is no gameplay changes. You literally are getting the same game with very little changes at all, hence why its out every year when real games normally take 2-5 years to make. CoD is getting an ever shorter single player and your literally just buying a map pack. Since from my knowledge, the last like 5 CoD have been map packs and a few guns added or removed, thats it. Does that sound like its worth 60 dollars to you? In my eyes they should be like $10 since its the same game made shiny every year and called new. But it is the dumb gamers that allow this to happen. I like CoD...the OLD ones, that actually had a story, that made changes when a new game came out, that didn't look the same every release. My favorite being Big Red One and the first Modern Warfare since it left the WW2 theme. But since then its been the same game repeated. Its those gamers that buy every product no matter how shitty it is. Be it being gullible or being the reason big conpanies think we are Cash Cows. They are the reason that gamers can't force the companies to start being good again.

Games should be BASED on the consumer. You make a game that is fun and people buy it since its fun. Not make a game that sucks the most money out of someone or make the same game 50 times (looking at you CoD and Madden) with a new brand $60 price tag. Also that in itself is another thing. Most games around aren't worth the $60 pricetag, either through not being fun or just simply being too short. I have seen some games that only have like <5 hours of gameplay with 50-60 dollar price. I think there should be a tier to how prices work. Either the game is long IE TES games, or it is very fun and replayable from single AS WELL as multiplayer

/end rant

Tldr- read last part

I believe the game is moddable in unity just download the apk file and rename to zip open in winrar and extract and you see Unity libraries ... This game can be ported and modded.