Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: KeeperFX for DK 2

Default Re: KeeperFX for DK 2

Would you mind sharing some screenshots?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

Can't speak for Rex' version, but this is how it looks like in my version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    There is absoluetly nothing wrong with DK Mobile, whatsoever.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Here are my screenshots.

Color Tests.zip

The most significant change is the impenetrable rock. It effects so many things, it's actually quite amazing. Looking through them, I'm not sure about the Hero Gate (3x1) look. The reason why it's brightened up is because I increased the Ambient Lighting for it, as I did for the end Hero Gate and 2x2 variation. Notably, I increased the lighting for the latter two even more than the 3x1, it looks so bright and a bit awkward because of the relative difference of the Impenetrable Rock. I may consider reducing those settings just a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmcast View Post
    Well sure but if you're only playing through the game for the first time, wouldn't it seem a lot harder then?
    Not necessarily. DKII was my first game so I had no experience with DK prior, let alone any sort of RTS or management simulator. Yet, the only levels I remember being difficult were levels 6a, 9, 10, 14, 19, and 20. But mind you, I was between the ages of 6 and 10 when I played the game and had a difficult time with any aspect of it.

Level 6a was difficult because it does put some pressure on you, while no level before that actually does so. It's a significant step up, even if it's not necessarily all that difficult itself. A lot of it is management of Hero Parties, something I didn't know how to do at the time. Level 9, I don't think I abused Lightning spell, Barricades, or anything, I just kept trying to catch the Lord with my Creatures and that never really worked. Level 10, also applies a lot more pressure is another difficult step up in the game, or would be if the rest of the maps followed up in that level of difficulty, so naturally I struggled a bit, but I don't remember struggling as much as some other people.

For Level 14, I had some difficulty with the parties early on. Usually it was the first party that did damage and then I never recovered from that. That was the only difficult aspect of the map. For level 19, I found it more annoying to deal with the three princes simultaneously. And Level 20, similar situation to Level 6a, the level puts more pressure and you need management to deal with the multiple parties. I think I was too slow to really deal with the simultaneous waves as they do come fairly early. I rarely utilized converts at that age and I don't think I bothered shutting down most of the gates, either. That's probably why I also had difficulty in 6a.

That's 6 maps out of technically 24, and one of those maps could easily be remedied if I used the Lightning spell more frequently. Level 19 is not necessarily difficult either, just gimmicky if of an annoying kind of difficulty. Even including those maps, that's a very small percentage of maps to be difficult for even a 10 year old, let alone a 6 year old.

The problem with a lot of the game is as I said, the levels don't put pressure on you. The only maps that have any sort of difficulty are those that apply pressure. Playing first time doesn't make that much of a difference because the game plays at your pace. Unless you're impatient or just bomb rush the enemy before you're ready, you're not going to have much of a difficult time. All expenses are incredibly low relative to the amount of Gold you get compared to DK1 because the game is allowing you to turtle and take your time before digging out. It's designed to be incredibly easy. I actually do believe this to be intentional, probably to help sell the game without challenging the game's mechanics itself, where some of its flaws would be revealed.

For example, I never noticed how bad DK2's targeting system is until my patch, where I actually created a need for precise and quick targeting. In vanilla DK2, there is no need. Spam Heal, that's mostly all you can do in battle. Even if you miss, it won't matter all that much as it's cheap. It's so powerful that even a late Heal will fully restore most Creatures at most levels. In my patch, you can't afford to miss because of the recharge time. The effect is also much weaker, even if it's still strong in its own right, but that still means that you cannot infinitely heal a single tank at the frontlines. There's also the swapping between Heal and Lightning, and then the precision and timing to properly use the latter for similar reasons, but it's needed to maximize the efficiency of your fighting troops. It's under that pressure does the poor targeting system reveal itself.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the matter.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

I modified the Hero Gate 3x1 Hero Gate, reduced the ambient settings. It seems to look much better now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Hero Gate 1.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	1356

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Hero Gate 2.PNG 
Views:	79 
Size:	552.1 KB 
ID:	1355
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!