Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KeeperFx Windows 8.1 x64 : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)

Default KeeperFx Windows 8.1 x64 : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)

Hi every one,

I'm trying to launch keeperfx (0.44) on a windows 8.1 x64.

I correctly installed as mentioned. The launcher found the original files and says everything is ok.

I then try to launch the game, a little command box pops up and then dissapear. Then I get a windows popup that say's : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)

The log file is empty, nothing inside.

I've tried with my gog version and original CD of the game, same result.

I've also tried various things like : disable antivirus/firewall. Disable my SLI, other versions of keeperfx (0.40, 0.41, 0.42, 0.43 and the last nightly build), changing compatibility mode (xp, 7 ...), administrator rights ...

I've try with the debug version, changing parameters of the launcher ... always the same result : nothing in the log file (empty), nothing, just the window crash popup

keeperfx version : 0.40 -> 0.44 and last nightly build

Hope you can help me ! thanks

Default Re: KeeperFx Windows 8.1 x64 : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000

I don't think this is KeeperFX issue, it looks more like Windows issue.

Maybe windows loader can't access one of DLL files?

Try adding keeperfx.exe to DEP.
    Try modifying permissions of keeperfx.exe and all DLL files in the folder, giving read access to everyone.
    Try 'run as administrator' option.

Try googling for a solution on Microsoft's sites.
    Last edited by mefistotelis; February 13th, 2014 at 16:35.

Default Re: KeeperFx Windows 8.1 x64 : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000

Thanks for your response mefistotelis,

I'm going to try all this things, I'll post the results.

Anyway you're doing a great job !

Hi ! So I try everything :

Adding keeperfx.exe to DEP, modifying all DLL's in the folder and giving full access. Run as admin ...

In google this errors looks like a DLL problem ... I wondering if it can be cause by a DLL in the mounted img of the original game ?

I also think about creating a virtual machine with an older windows version to play the game, does anyone has try to play in a VM ?

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by partyboy View Post
    In google this errors looks like a DLL problem ... I wondering if it can be cause by a DLL in the mounted img of the original game ?
    It's not easy to tell - normally no, but Windows can be reconfigured for many things.

Try scanning keeperfx.exe in some on-line AV software.
    Try running Dependency Walker - it's a windows tool which shows you which DLLs the program is loading. You still won't know which one is failing, but at least you'll have a list to check.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try,

Dependency walker could be a good start

Thumbs up Re: KeeperFx Windows 8.1 x64 : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000

Hello

I also had this problem with using windows 8.1 x64 and did a lot of searching around and it seems to be a windows 8.1 problem with some dll's missing causing some things to not work properly, I found this page searching for the error code that you had and I did some poking around Google to see If I could fix the issue. I managed to fix It and will attach the dll's I used and I did do a virus total to be sure (0 / 50) and they came up clean, I'm not sure If these are an offense to post in any way being some operating system files and If so please remove them and I'll elaborate on the steps a little more but I did find most of them from dll-files and the others I had to get from my windows 7 x64 copy on the other PC or I would of not found them or fixed it. Here's what I did to make it work:

Started with grabbing some of the files it needed with Dependency Walker which is in folder 1 in the attachment, I did try this last time and It did not work for me at first (Try this first, put em in your KeeperFX folder and if it works then great!) so I then thought maybe it needed some other dll's as a dependency and luckily I had another rig with windows 7 x64 on it and I grabbed a bunch of those to copy over which are in folder 2 also in attachment (Make sure show hidden files and folders is on or folder 2 might not show the dll's.

I put those into my KeeperFX folder and it's now working, It does now work also taking all the files that we're In folder 2 out so maybe that kicked something and started it working. The only other thing I did at some point is to copy over the IEShims.dll into the KeeperFX folder also and it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer but that's a last resort and maybe the other steps will sort it out
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much, it's working for me now ! I've just copy/past the first dll folder into keeperfx folder and voilà !

I've pass all files into eset, they seem ok.

Now, I know what I'm going to do on my sunday afternoon !

Thanks !

Edit : Adding keeperfx.exe in DEP is still required, if not, you can't start a new game or go to options in start screen.
    Last edited by partyboy; February 16th, 2014 at 12:42.

After Win 10 image recovery/reset KeeperFX doesn´t start anymore. Reinstall doesn´t fix it. The Gog game works without the KeeperFx. The fix files from Dave (the 1 folder) in the Keeperfx folder brings another error (cannot locate value 1 in this dynamic library dxplay.dll etc.). I installed this GOG game on my wife´s laptop before all this and that install still works. However moving those folders directly to another PC still produces the same popup and instant close. On my other laptop it doesn´t work including my desktop, after switching them to a new SSD. I have the old DirectX https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35 installed.
    Last edited by Keeperfxfan; August 25th, 2017 at 05:29.

What you need to do is enable DirectPlay. Open the start menu and type "control panel", then click "programs and features", then "turn windows features on and off", then expand "Legacy Components", and put a check in "DirectPlay". Confirm the setting and your game should work.

As found in the troubleshooting section of the FAQ.