Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Community maps worth playing

Default Re: 10 best community maps

Quote Originally Posted by Lquiz View Post
    I really appreciate what you've done YourMaster, your DK map database is very well made.
    I've done nothing. I'm just some random user.
    That's also on Mefisto.

352 Attack

A horrible map. There's no portal on this level and you can't build any rooms, so don't expect any dungeon keeping. Dig out to get all the rooms you'll need and a starting set of level 10 creatures that make sure you'll never need to worry about losing a fight either. You'll get a choice between defeating a hero dungeon filled with avatars, samurai and knights you can easily convert, or take down a blue inactive keeper that has some beetles but the heart-bell removed.
    Attacking the heroes will spawn some very large parties that are no match for your avatar filled army. Attacking blue will result in a very annoying situation where you can't kill him but your creatures will continue to try to attack the empty heart. This also causes the level to be unwinnable. There's really no upside to this level.

354 Dead Hero

Another map that's not worth playing. Close to your starting location you'll get lots of 'experience-specials' and a 'multiply-special', so the level more or less beats itself. You also start out with gems and lots of room to make sure it really is as easy as can be. Furthermore the level is basically a square box.
    A hero party spawns at the beginning of the map, that kills the blue keeper. Because you get so many creatures I accidentally build my dungeon against the hero fortress. The starting party could then also breach my dungeon and release all heroes defending their fortress at the same time. So I used my multiply special, killed them all, killed the hero heart and won the level before I was even finished with building my dungeon.

355 Converted!

You have little gold, no prison and can only face a very powerful-hero keeper head on. But you've got a workshop, so with patience and boulders you can win the level. Once you manage to kill enough of blue with boulders you can take over his rooms and slowly take over the other keepers and hero. Your only limitation is that your gold comes from your workshop. The level starts out right up against the creature limit, but otherwise worth a shot if you like this sort of thing.

356 Evil Prozak

This map should simply be removed from the database. It is not complete. When you start digging you immediately get a lvl 10 avatar and reaper, so dig towards blue that starts with nothing and win right away. I've looked at the script file, and that clearly shows this level is a work in progress.

357 Mission Imp_possible

The description mentions you've got to complete the level with a single imp, but this is not true at all. There's an interesting - but brief - start to this level where you'll use a superpowered imp to claim stuff. With the prison and torture room you find you can easily expand your army, with the temple and create imp spell you'll gets loads of imps and there's gems to support all this. And then if you search around you get TWO multiply specials as well. So it's an easy level.
    However, it is very well constructed and one of the better maps out there. I had fun playing this map and abusing my superpowered imps. When I had enough I cast Armageddon and it was over.

358 DogWorld

This is a very boring map. You start out with a message that 'dogs' are going to attack you and you've got to prepare. You have a prebuild dungeon and non of the powerful rooms. However, it takes ages for the 'dogs' to appear, so all there is to do is frameskip beyond the point where all your creatures are max-level. Eventually a few parties of hell hounds will spawn, and every few minutes after that the hell hounds will attack again, until suddenly you've won. Map would already be better if they gave you a timer telling you how long you'd have to wait for the attack.

358 Imp o Mania

This is a simple but unique map, and really difficult. I wonder if KeeperFX changes made this map more difficult than it was intended to be.
    You get a few imps, can't make new ones, but they are automatically replenished. You get the basic 5 rooms minus the treasure room, and hardly any creatures to attract. Any gold mined has to go long distance, so you go real broke, real quick.
    Your mission is to defeat blue that has a bit of a head start, has loads of gold and can make all the imps he wants and quickly claims towards your dungeon and gold. So far so good, but his army also gets replenished through the script so he never runs out. Good luck.

359 Brainman's First

I did not expect this, but it is actually a well-made map. A very short, very brief puzzle map. It's worth it to give it a shot, it can be won.

360 Gold Heat

The special thing about this map is that the entire northern half of the map is gold and you need to research a bridge before you can mine any of it. Once you do you can continue research and training, everything is available for you. There are two keepers on this map, but they won't cross lava to attack you besides some early harassment with a fly or dragon. There are some low level heroes among the gold to give you skeletons.
    When you've mined enough gold you'll find a multiply creature special, which seals the deal. Use it and either cast Armageddon or build a bridge towards your rivals and you can't lose.
    What's fun about this map is that you have to build your dungeon in the limited space between the lava. It is well build and there are no problems, but it is a very, very easy level. I've played it in KeeperFX 0.4.6, if a future version allows the computer players to function better on lava maps it might become much more of a challenge.

EDIT: Played this map over a year ago, moved its description to this post as it has the same author as the next three.

361 Two on one

The map looks ugly, and the beginning made me expect it to be a bad map, but I actually really enjoyed this one. I died at the start though, and I guess everybody will the first one or two times. Once you make it past the beginning there's still some challenge left. You can get every room and spell in the game and get some gems, but you can't just make yourself super powerful easily because there are two keepers who can kill you in a heartbeat before you get there if you don't defend really well.
    If you got some skills, play this map.

362 Gold magic

Looking at the script formatting, this map seems to be from the same maker as 'Two on one'. However, where in the other map only you were handicapped by gold blocks, in this map your rival keepers also have to mine out their dungeons from gold instead of dirt, and the AI simply can't handle that. By the time I had 'Armageddon' researched they still hadn't managed to claim their portals, so I cast the spell for an instant victory. Even if they got their portal from the start, they could never have beaten me.
    It was an interesting start however, digging out a dungeon completely out of gold. Still, not worth playing.

363 Goldenized castle

Third map in a row by this anonymous gold lover, and it could have been interesting, but for the second time it simply doesn't work. Like on 'Two on one' there's a gimmick where you've got to build an army before a large number of ghosts break through your magic doors, but in KeeperFX the bug is fixed which prevented ghosts from being able to pass through doors. In other words, you immediately have to deal with lots of ghosts, which wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have the three rival keepers that - with massive speed - attract 35 creatures each, leaving the creature pool empty. With just three flies in my army I'm not going to attempt the map.

371 Vulcania

This seems like a fine map - a bit of a slow start - but as it has a lot of lava, the gold veins border the lava and the enemy keepers are active the map crashed from the pathfinding bug before my first fight. To be revisited if this bug is ever solved.

372 Gainer

A classic 'become super powerful' map, but quit well done. At the very start you have a 'reveal map special' that isn't supposed to be there. With the gems and temple you can get several reapers and mistresses, and you're fed many enemy flies to convert to vampires. What makes it nice, is that at the end you at least face a set of heroes that can rival your army. Unfortunately though, at the end heroes continue to spawn quite quickly until it crashed my game.

375 Cold War

This is one of many maps by Oetelaer, and it shows that some effort went into it. Luckily no crazy shenanigans with column mode this time, yet I didn't really enjoy this map as patience seems to be the key to winning. For quite a while you've got no choice but to simply train up, as you've got an avatar, get reapers from the portal and demon spawns have gotten a big stat boost on this map, this pays off. Mine your gems and wait until you're powerful enough. I just took a chance and cast Armageddon.
    After that though, you still got to defeat all the heroes that spawn now. Wait until you're strong enough again, or take over the enemy workshops and use boulder traps to win.

376 Dordas

A very boring, but functional map. With lots of gold, gems, and room to build attract and train up to 45 creatures. If you want capture and convert some high level heroes. Then cross a very long white pathway to the dungeon hearth and face another strong hero party that is no threat to you to win.

381 Trinus

This is the kind of map that stretches the game to its limits. You get to build op a huge and powerful army and have plenty of gems, and there's very little to do while you train your creatures. You don't get a prison or a scavenging room, so you're limited to a fixed number of creatures+Vampires. There's still some huge final parties though, that you've got to cheese to defeat.
    What I strongly dislike - and the reason I only found by checking the script - is that when you've got an annoyed creature the game gets flooded with a lvl10 fairy and wizard every 3 seconds. By the time the first one finds the game has reached the creature limit.
    It is not my kind of map, but it might be for others.

382 Vulcano Heart

I did not finish this map because of the pathfinding bug.
    Beyond that though, it starts out fine because you've got an interesting space to build your dungeon. And a reveal map special that seems to be left by accident. Before I stopped I had noticed that the blue keeper had walled in tight and I had to start raising an army of vampires to teleport in over lava and kill it like that. After that I would have to destroy a massive hero army, so I guess I had to raise a very very big army of vampires, which wouldn't have been an issue with all the easy gems available. I won't be replaying this one if the pathfinding bug ever gets fixed.

400 Flaming-Heck

Hades already played this map and found it quite good. Personally I don't have patience for this kind of thing. There's hardly any dungeon building, but instead it is patiently progressing first defeating insects with imps, later clearing out a hero castle without sight.
    EDIT: The ending used to be broken due to scripting errors, but version 1.2.0 has this fixed.

406 Reaver Verruckt

This map is made by Duke Ragereaver, who also made the undead keeper campaigns. His maps are always expertly crafted and difficult, and this map is no exception. I've played this map a long time ago, and found it really difficult, so I didn't feel like replaying it to write down this description. You start out with a first-person section needed to gain the imp spell, you can use the barracks here. After which you'll keep getting attacked by hero parties in a loop, and whenever you lose a creature you can't get it back. If you're up for it, give it a try and share your feedback here.

407 Frostsorrow Glacier

Another Duke Ragereaver map, one where you can only attract heroes. Unfortunately crashes in KeeperFX due to the pathfinding bug. Definitely worth a revisit if that bug is ever fixed. I have a feeling though that the increased competence of enemy keepers will make this map very difficult as you can easily be attacked by the enemy keeper early on.

410 Ultima Underworld

This map is a multiplayer map. I played it against 2 computer players instead, but due to the restricted sizes in this map they really don't function at all. Not worth playing that way. To play it against other humans seems completely unbalanced.

412 Minotaur Maze

I expected something horrible, but this map is actually kinda ok. It really is a complicated maze and you've got to keep your imps alive until you've got both the spell and a library to put it in. Unfortunately, near the end the map finally gave in to the pathfinding bug.

415 Hero Invasion test

The idea of this map is nice, but the execution is very bad. The map is about the heroes invading the blue and yellow dungeons. You get a handful of creatures, including a tunneler dwarf, to possess and join the invasion (as an ally to white) to kill the keepers. Crucial is that your tunneler can destroy gold blocks where the white tunnelers cannot.
    For some reason though endless tunneler parties spawn clogging up the map. It will also quickly crash due to the pathfinding bug.

EDIT: Seems it's a bug in KeeperFX that spawns infinite creatures. Worth another try if the bug is ever fixed.
    422 Hero Invasion 01, 423 Hero Invasion 02, 424 Hero Invasion 03 and 425 Hero Invasion 04 all work the same way and have the same bug.

EDIT2: The bug is fixed. I'll give them a shot.
    Last edited by YourMaster; May 8th, 2019 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post

362 Gold magic

Looking at the script formatting, this map seems to be from the same maker as 'Two on one'. However, where in the other map only you were handicapped by gold blocks, in this map your rival keepers also have to mine out their dungeons from gold instead of dirt, and the AI simply can't handle that. By the time I had 'Armageddon' researched they still hadn't managed to claim their portals, so I cast the spell for an instant victory. Even if they got their portal from the start, they could never have beaten me.
    It was an interesting start however, digging out a dungeon completely out of gold. Still, not worth playing.

363 Goldenized castle

Third map in a row by this anonymous gold lover, and it could have been interesting, but for the second time it simply doesn't work...

how does that even happen ? do people even play the maps they make ?

My guess is that in many cases they don't. They spend some time building it, and when it doesn't work they say 'fuck it' and upload is somewhere anyway. I don't even know where Mefistoteliz found all these maps in the database, it could very well be the case that some of them never were intended to be published.

Right now, the situation is just awful, there is no way for players to find the good maps hidden deep in between all the crap and mediocre entries. I hope for this topic to be helpful for people, but at this rate it will take me another decade to get through he entire database.

416 Return to Skybird Trill

Finally an excellent map. From the same author as 415 - which was broken but with potential - this one has its potential fulfilled. Based on the template of Skybird Trill, it plays nothing like this map as you start in a different location, all interesting bits are inaccessible at first and you are left to figure out how to even play this map. I admit at first I thought it was neigh impossible and considered skipping it, but by looking carefully I found a way to get the level rolling. The author shows a good understanding of some of the mechanics, and has some messages to show you the way. There are four mini-hero dungeons you've got to conquer in order and after each one you gain some key abilities - like access to a portal, a training room, a bridge or imps. Complete them all and you have a big final battle against the center player. Creatures don't return to the pool.
    I suspect though that many will find this map quite difficult, but it is smart usage of doors, traps, bridges and knowing when to retreat that will win you this map, not fast play against a high pressure opponent. If I was to say something negative, there are too many traps for my liking.

417 Imprison

Coming up to the third map of this 'Diety Demon', I recognize the map, and realize the author is our very own Metal Gear Rex. You can read impressions about this level in this topic, where it is deemed interesting but overly difficult/frustrating. But if you got skills or a healthy pair of gonads, try this map.
    Last edited by YourMaster; February 9th, 2017 at 23:13.

Valosch has the makings of an intriguing and epic map, it is however riddled with contradictions. It is worth checking it out though, the overall difficulty is average and the initial part is fun.

The premise is straightforward; you play as the Heroes and you have to get rid of two enemy Keepers and the Vampires (represented as the Heroes). Even though the enemy outnumbers you by a fair amount, you can quite get easily get your hands on more minions due the access of the Prison, Torture Room and Scavenger Room. The only room you can’t gain access to building is the Graveyard, but they are so commonplace you will sell them to stop Vampires from constant spawning. Despite playing as the Heroes, you can still attract useful creatures like Dragons, Dark Mistresses and Hell Hounds. Oh you also start right off the bat with an Avatar, which makes things a lot easier, too easy actually. The Vampires have a lot of Hero units that you can "persuade" to join your cause. Once you defeat one of the two Keepers and gain access to their gems, the money shortages cease to be a problem. I did not finish the level due to the game freezing but I destroyed all enemy Dungeon Hearts and was fairly close to eliminating any stragglers.
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; February 10th, 2017 at 21:52.

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Dungeon Keeper I campaign: Post Undead Keeper
    Download it here!

Nice of you to participate!

418 Magic Might

The next map made by Metal Gear Rex is a bit easier, but still very challenging. You start with six fully trained magical creatures, loads of gems and the option to research all spells and a temple, but without any option to get more creatures. You have to face three keepers just starting out and single lvl10 avatar. This would be very easy but for two things: Both the avatar and blue keeper are loaded with traps, and as long as the avatar lives he'll continuously send a hero party your way which you have to pay attention to as they should easily die to your units, but can cause serious harm if left unattended.
    I have to say though, the countless traps got on my nerves, I guess you've got to clear over 80 traps to be able to do something. And additional difficulty is that in KeeperFX keepers can claim past their locked door, allowing blue to attack you which was never the intention. And when I finally defeated all opponents I did not win,... looking at the script I found out I should have won but Rex did not consider me killing two keepers before the avatar causing the win not to trigger. Still one of the better maps out there though.

419 Army of Three

Army of Three, again made by Metal Gear Rex, is actually quite an easy map. You are allied with the blue keeper, but without space to build your own dungeon. You get some small pieces within the blue dungeon and loads of starting gold, and together you have to defeat yellow and green. However, you own a graveyard, temple and the spells so you can build your own vampire army. Blue also has more creatures than your two rivals combined so victory is more or less assured.
    It's an interesting map and worth giving a shot, but it does highlight how these kind of alliances don't really work. Blue claiming land actually limits you building your own dungeon, you can't use each others rooms and worse still is that your imps are killed accidentally by walking through the training room. This does help you with the steady stream of vampires, bot overall the team up is simply annoying.
    Last edited by YourMaster; February 11th, 2017 at 10:53.

231 Keepsafe

From the same author as map 230, it plays basically the same. Your walled in with a few heroes and some gold so take your time to build up, claim the destroy walls spell to get access to a massive hero fortress with lots of traps (centered in water instead of lava this time) where you'll find a the four powerful rooms and more gems. This causes you to have an impossible powerful army, which you can use to quickly and easily destroy two walled in keepers. Easy, but nice for players who like to build and not worry about anything.
    I've managed to play this map without suffering from the pathfinding bug. However as soon as you load Keepsafe 1.2.0 you'll have won the game due to a scripting error. To be able to play the level change line 239 from map00231.txt from 'IF(ALL_PLAYERS,DUNGEON_DESTROYED == 1)' to 'IF(PLAYER0,ALL_DUNGEONS_DESTROYED == 1)'.
    I picked this map at random to play, after fixing the script error that is.

This map is pretty good with the opening stages. You have some initial objects to complete in order to progress and get beyond your starting area. The Heroes offer decent resistance early on and you will be strapped for cash until you get the gems in the Heroes’ dungeon. Unfortunately this stage is a war of attrition with a lot of traps (including boulder traps behind doors) and some tough Heroes guarding the place. This part tests patience and is a bit slow to clear out. When you get the Prison, Torture Room, Graveyard and or Scavenger Room, you will indeed become unstoppable. Both enemy Keepers’s armies were undertrained and posed little to no threat in my game.

302/405 YAMI

Yami is a complex level, and it must have taken quite a bit of effort making it. Unfortunately it has too many flaws. The player gets a choice of going east and defeating heroes, or south and defeating the blue keeper. It makes more sense to go south first as to get access to gems, but the level assumes you go the other way. By facing the keeper you get access to the powerful spells and rooms that make the level a snooze.
    The center of the map is riddled with traps, you have a temple and a huge graveyard from blue, so unless you put a lock door on the graveyard you'll end up with dozens of vampires. And that is before the multiply-creature special comes into play. So no matter how many knight the game throws at you, they will melt against your army of vampires. The map takes a long time because of all the magic doors, lightning traps and boulders, I'm not sure if anybody enjoys cleaning those up.

And to make matters worse, if you don't take the route the level expects, you cannot win,... the final hero party shows up, but due to a scripting error you will never win the level even after killing every hero on the map. If you do want to give this level a shot, go east, not south and it should play out a lot better.
    I’ll see what I can do.

Some fixes and rebalances in this map are long overdue. Writing my own experiences with Keepsafe makes me see some similarities with Yami regarding the tedious clean up of traps.
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; February 11th, 2017 at 20:08.

Download it here!

Download it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Ragereaver View Post
    I’ll see what I can do.

Some fixes and rebalances in this map are long overdue. Writing my own experiences with Keepsafe makes me see some similarities with Yami regarding the tedious clean up of traps.
    Cool, I never expected this. Very nice to see you inspired again now that you're back. May I ask why you left here in the first place?
    And an overload of traps is unfortunately a common theme in many maps,... it's very tempting to place them but for the player it's never fun to deal with as it's always the same, boring routine. And having traps on maps without a temple is even more frustrating as you'll lose imps through no fault of your own. There's no counterplay, no way to outsmart the traps, nothing. Traps only work when the player uses them against invading armies.

426 Hero Invasion 05

The last available map of Metal Gear Rex, I thought it was quite a challenge until I realized I was able to build imps and lots of them since I had limitless gold. This left a very basic, albeit unique, map where you have to defeat three keepers. The keepers start out with rooms but have to attract their creatures, while you get a very weak hero party, and as soon as you lose it you'll get a slightly stronger hero party. Lose all your hero parties and you're defeated, or kill the keepers to win. You can't build anything, so just straight up dig towards the keepers right away.
    Because I assumed I had no imps, I possessed my first tunneler and dug straight through the three dungeons to be able to get access to all my enemies. This may have accidentally won me the map as the rival keepers were not allied and softened each other leading to an easy victory.

428 Loki's Realm

A puzzle map that requires you to know the mechanics of the game. And more commitment than I have. If you like this kind of thing, give it a shot. I have given up before completing it. I managed to get my orc on the enemy temple, get the ghost but was fed up by then.

429 Two-Face

This is a map with above average production values. Starting out you can select if you want to be creatures or heroes, and face the opposite. This is well done, and afterwards you can build your dungeon and attract 8 creatures from your portal. You'll face 6 hero parties and end up against a powerful keeper. You get no prison.
    Now here is where it gets weird,... the first hero party spawns by the time you have about two creatures, giving you no choice but to quickly wall in and turtle. The next three are also way too powerful for how strong you can be, and the final two actually spawn inside your dungeon. That last one will kill you for sure, unless you do as I did on my second attempt and rush towards the graveyard and kill your own imps until you have several vampires. That allowed me to just hold on and rebuild. The final keeper is also far too powerful to take on - especially with his countless traps - if you do anything but spam countless vampires. Still not a bad map, but I feel it would be more fun after some rebalancing.

430 Mine

I don't get the point of this map. You can't build a dungeon but get some creatures including avatars. When you take over the dug out tunnels you'll find lots more avatars, and an unprotected dungeon heart. Kill it and a few avatars spawn - use your much larger army of avatars to defeat them. Now you haven't won the map, because you've got to kill heroes trapped behind a wall. Research the spell, destroy the wall and kill the single witch to win the level. Nobody will enjoy it.
    Last edited by YourMaster; February 12th, 2017 at 23:52.

Cool, I never expected this. Very nice to see you inspired again now that you're back. May I ask why you left here in the first place?
    Shifting priorities (college) and interests.

And an overload of traps is unfortunately a common theme in many maps,... it's very tempting to place them but for the player it's never fun to deal with as it's always the same, boring routine. And having traps on maps without a temple is even more frustrating as you'll lose imps through no fault of your own. There's no counterplay, no way to outsmart the traps, nothing. Traps only work when the player uses them against invading armies.
    I have been working in my spare time on Yami, so far I am pleased with the results. I think it will be ready in a week at this rate with the playtesting involved with it. Amongst of the changes is that the Temple can be acquired faster and that the number of traps have been reduced. I have also shifted the focus on the map somewhat. There is still a choice in going after the Heroes or the Blue Keeper first but the script will no longer check if either is defeated before coming with a response (reinforcement of the remaining enemy). Also, the Blue Keeper is much more formidable and very aggressive after an initial "sleeping" period.
    Last edited by Duke Ragereaver; February 14th, 2017 at 18:06.

Download it here!

Download it here!

422 Hero Invasion 01

All versions of KeeperFX from before Februari 2017 contain a bug making this set of levels unplayable. With the bug fixed I gave it a try, but I must say I did not enjoy the map.
    In this level you face a blue keeper, but you can't build a dungeon yourself. Instead you get a very weak hero party you can possess and walk into the enemy dungeon, and when they are defeated you get a new one until either he is dead or you are defeated. But either this map was meant to be very difficult, or the increased competence of enemy keepers in FX compared to the original game make it near impossible to beat. One of the five parties you get contains a lvl1 knight, with which I could do some damage, but the other parties having only 3 lvl1 tunnelers or archers simply did not do damage quick enough to actually hurt blue. He gets new creatures from the portal in the time you can walk over your heroes, if you even manage to kill something. The only way I see victory here is just keep doing bits of damage to the heart until it is eventually destroyed. I did not have the patience for this and gave up.

423 Hero Invasion 02

The second of this series of first person maps was quite manageable as in some of the parties you had some non-useless heroes. Possess a creature and fight until blue is destroyed.

424 Hero Invasion 03

In the description Rex hints of a method on how to play - which I don't think I figured out, but for this map it did not matter. You have to possess your tunneler and dig towards the enemy dungeons, and there are heroes that will kill the keepers for you. I'm not sure if this was intended. Bonus points for proper tunneling I suppose.

425 Hero Invasion 04

This map hangs KeeperFX due to the pathfinding bug before you can play a single second.
    EDIT: The map was actually just corrupt. Fixed and reuploaded a working version as version '6.0.0'.

431 Mike's Balanced

I thought map 430 was bad, but this map from the same author is worse. I guess it is meant as a multiplayer map, but even there it would fail as it simply is a race who manages to drop an imps into the pockets of neutral avatars first to win. A definite don't-play.
    And that is after needing to put an 'endif' command at the end of the script to make it even work.

435 Lightning-light

Yet another map I strongly recommend to skip. At least you can win it in a minute.
    There's a large room between you and the white dungeon heart, filled to the brim with your traps. When the heroes walk to you they are immediately destroyed. Then destroy the white heart with your lvl10 avatar you start with to claim the victory.

440 DragonWars

I would say this is a very easy map, but there is no victory condition. And for a map that is called Dragon Wars, I must admit I didn't really use my dragons.
    You face two enemy keepers who get no advantage over you. You start out with a reveal map special, when you use it you see there are dozens of 'steal hero' and 'increase level' specials 'hidden'. Use them to become powerful, then destroy both keepers to not win. Better yet, skip the map completely.

442 Heroic Invasion

An excellent map, clearly inspired by level 17 - Mirthshire, but upped the difficulty a bit. Simply build up your forced - without the benefit of a prison - and defend against invading hero parties. Kill enough of them and the white dungeon heart to win the level. Sounds simple enough, but this is exactly what Dungeon Keeper is about. What sets this map apart from most others is that it is very well balanced, you get time to build up, and the heroes that attack you are powerful enough to hurt you, but not ridiculously strong. I beat it on my first try, but suspect not everybody will.
    What I thought was strange is that there are many things in this level you can only get with a bridge, but there's no way to get said bridge. Also see this topic.

520 Dark Sombre River

Another exercise in showing how powerful you can become. You get the perfect space to build, plenty of gems, can research all rooms and spells and will not be attacked at all. To top it off you get five increase level specials, and as soon as you bridge the lava two multiply creature specials. In the center is a white dungeon with lots and lots of heroes that will all attack you when you break down their door, including a few avatars, but that doesn't really matter when you have 30 lvl 10 bile demons as just the frontline of your army.
    To the north is a blue keeper that is supposed to be your mirror image, but it isn't defined in the script so it doesn't do anything. Define it in the script if you want to face it after you've converted a set of avatars and samurai to your army. That still would not provide any challenge though.

531 The Barbarian Embarian

The basis of a reasonable map is there, and some effort has clearly went into this map, but in its current state it simply does not work. You get 40 creatures from the portal and gems to support them, but no scavenger room or prison, so your power remains somewhat in check. In the east there's a keeper as powerful as you, but you don't need to destroy it and you've got nothing to gain from doing so.
    In the center surrounded by lava and walls there's a hero fortress with lots and lots of powerful heroes, but you don't get a bridge or destroy walls spell. I managed to invade the fortress with just my dragons and reapers, but the heart room is also surrounded by walls and no way to enter. In short, I found no way to win. Looking at the script there are some tunnelers that are supposed to spawn when you reach certain action points, but I haven't found them. All in all, a missed opportunity.

533 Sablier

Sablier has been made as a multiplayer map, so either follow the instructions in the readme to add it to the multiplayer menu and play it either against another human or in -1player mode, or add a computer player to the script and play it from the 'Free Play Levels' menu.
    That being said, it's never much fun playing a skirmish map against a computer. This is a level without walls and a very quick portal time, so basically quickly build the rooms to attract bile demons and perhaps dragons and rush the enemy to win.

580 Or Grec

Another multiplayer map. Three players, each get a large space without walls, and then a large gold vein between rock leading to the center - and thus your rivals. There's not even a point in trying to run it single player, as the AI does not know how to dig gold on this map.

581 Airasos

Airasos seems ok at first, but I couldn't finish due to the pathfinding bug. Your two rival keepers and you can each attract 50 creatures, and you need to 'escape' from a maze. (So no surprise on the pathfinding bug). But you soon get a set of lvl10 heroes including an avatar and a multiply creature special, and you have all rooms and spells, so I doubt this level can throw anything at you to faze you.

582 Surianas Triplayer

Another multiplayer map. This one forces you to train up before you fight your rivals, as a powerful group of heroes lies between you and your rivals.(That you first have to define in the script if you don't want to add it to the multiplayer menu). For me, one of the keepers decided to take them on early and died. When I did decide to dig into the center, the large army of samurai, wizards and witches melted quickly to my army of 40 consisting of mostly dragons, bile demons and mistresses. I decided to first convert the lot of them before I waltzed over the remaining keeper, but there was no need for this. You'll feel like you've played this one before.

602 Jambos

Jet another multiplayer map. It's kinda interesting to build your dungeon in the space available, but that immediately disqualifies it as a skirmish map as the computerplayer will not be able to construct a proper dungeon here. To make matters worse, it's about racing to the center to get some knights which the computer doesn't know AND it is not even needed as you get plenty of gems and all creatures so you can make as many reapers as you want.

603 Four corners

I believe this is supposed to be a 4-player co-op map. The computerplayers aren't initialized for them to work in a skirmish, but it doesn't really matter as they wouldn't be able to properly function on it anyway. In KeeperFX don't bother trying to defeat the heroes either, as you might run into the pathfinding bug.

613 Avatars

On this level you face 3 rival keepers and a massive hero army in the center. With every player just getting a few gems and with many gems in the center your rivals quickly die to the heroes. There's no way for you to take all those heroes out, but as the map is divided up by lava rivers you can easily allow small groups of heroes into your dungeon by building and selling your bridge, and using the converts for the next group. It's all just going through the motions really. Luckily to get to the hero heart where the final bunch of avatars are located you've got to cross massive amounts of traps. Not worth playing, it doesn't even look nice.

617 Surianas Quadplay

A multiplayer map where the rival players aren't even defined so you win immediately. I looked over the map, and it isn't worth fixing to play against the computer because they wouldn't function well at all on this map.

642 The Pits

This map is a grid, you and your 3 rivals each get a corner, with 4 large squares filled with 5x5 bedrock rooms. You are divided by a strip of lava. The map is quite all right, even though its layout will ensure the computer players will have a difficult time giving you the advantage, but due to the massive grid and the lava the pathfinding bug will make it impossible to play in (this version) of KeeperFX.

Maps 643 Riverview, 644 Cold Day in Hell and 645 Guns and Roses are from the same author and seem to have the same concept and thus the same problem so I'm skipping these.

647 Garalon

A multiplayer map that doesn't even have the computer players defined. I added them but still the map basically won itself, as it's a free-for-all and the only way to reach each other is through a center with lots of heroes. Your rivals will try to kill each other while you sit back and train. As soon as I had a temple I made some reapers and killed them all.
    The map can be improved quite a bit by simply allying the three computer players against the players, but it would still not be all that special.

910 Life as crush-fighting

This is a fun little map where you've got to manage one samurai, one mistress and one lair to defeat some islands filled with heroes before you run out of gold. Don't be afraid to use frameskip on the map, and it's quite alright if you're looking for a map to beat in 15 minutes.

650 Balanced Fun Map

A multiplayer map where the computer players have not been defined, and no victory condition either. There's no reason to make this work as you simply each have a corner of the map and gems with a wall between the players.

660 Arena ville

Very similar to the one above, except this one does not work because the computer players start without gold and that causes them not to function. I fixed this in the script, but still the computers did not manage to do anything. This made the map unwinnable, as the computer players stay walled in and you can't break in. It won't work as a multiplayer map either, because it is very imbalanced.

679 Cheaullaim-Harhons

A multiplayer map. Enable the rival keepers in the script to face 3 keepers and you have a working but forgettable map. You're all close together which means that if you wall in your enemies will destroy each other. If that isn't enough you can fight and convert heroes to get an advantage.

680 Prisoner

This map is unplayable because of the pathfinding bug, but that is no great loss. It is a multiplayer map, and again one where you need to add the computerplayers in the script to make it works as a skirmish, but one where the computer does not know what to do at all. Between you and your rivals is a massive hero fortress filled to the brim with small rooms of heroes. You can't build any rooms, have a small prison and torture room so slowly convert what you want. Luckily you have the destroy walls spell and gems to support it so you can circumvent most of this maze and go straight for the kill.

681 Ombreroc

A map that is actually quite fun to play, after you've added the rival computer players to the script. You're on a completely open map, with a rival keeper in each corner and a hero fortress in the center filled with lvl10 heroes. Your objective is not as much defeating the rival keepers, as it is defeating them without them opening up powerful hero pockets that will go after you instead.

682 Haut-Mont Baathos

Perhaps this level could be quite alright to play (after you add the computer players to the script) but in KeeperFX it suffers from the pathfinding bug.

683 Basic and Balanced

The title is apt. Each corner a keeper with rock in between. You need to use destroy walls to go through the center, so even if you enable the computer players in the script they won't know how to attack you.

685 Centerpoint thuff mode

I've reached the maps of DzjeeAr, the most prolific DK map maker there is. He does know his stuff, but he makes some decisions that aren't always to everybody's liking to put it lightly.
    This map is described as 'the hard version' but it seemed quite all right. Than I suddenly lost my army and I had no idea why. I recovered and found that the heroes managed to kill two players when I let the few remaining ones into my dungeon to capture, when I lost my army again now noticing why. The knight received a massive boost in strength, health and armour so that he just destroyed my army of mistresses, bile demons and dragons.
    After reloading my save I noticed that this wasn't really the main concern, the third keeper had a portal limit of 60 and could attract avatars and those massively overpowered knights. I know some tricks to defeat it still, but there's no way to win a fair fight. Starting over I could go and convert all creatures from the other keepers to my cause to help me out, but I decided to give up and go for the 'standard version' next time.

686 Centerpoint std mode

Clearly the 'thuff' version is the default version of this map, as this map simply has the two easy keepers disabled. Very sloppy as you still need to kill them to win the level and they start with lots of imps you can easily convert now. It still has the ridiculous Knights(it kills lvl 10 dragons in 3 hits and lives twice as long as an Avatar). I converted one from the heroes that helped me kill the two knights and two avatars from the keeper, but this was a very, very long fight.
    Not much happens before that as you can stay in your corner with gems as long as you like, and there's water between you and your rival. Not a bad map, just kinda boring and it would have been better with a slightly weaker knight.

710 Bad Heroes

This must be one of the earlier DzjeeAr maps, because it is unlike the other ones I played,.... a very basic map. What makes it stand out is that you play as the heroes, and you can't build a prison. All units have the regular stats but you can't train thieves into knights. There's no level objective, and there's nothing happening on the map. Simply build your dungeon, frameskip until your units are trained enough, find the area that gets you a bridge and kill both keepers one by one. The keepers are quite strong, but you should win this without any issues.

721 Ancient Dungeons

What a strange, strange (DzjeeAr) map. It comes with 3 different scripts, one of them was prechosen to be the default so I played that one. They seem to determine which creatures you can use,....
    I started mining rooms for my dungeon when I noticed I could neither build nor research a hatchery, so I assumed I would play undead but I also couldn't research a prison or graveyard. I did not bother training the creatures I got because they would leave anyway without food, but I was quickly attacked by a party of mid-level heroes that would have killed me,.... until I won the map because the rival keeper was destroyed by heroes. The end.
    If it was a good map I'd say the 3 scripts could be combined to at random play out one possible scenario, but now my recommendation is to skip it and never look back.

722 Anoumordis

Now, this is your typical DzjeeAr map. A forgotten reveal map special that allows you to claim an avatar from the start, no prison, massive, massive battles and some ridiculously overpowered knights to defeat at the end. Mind you, this is no easy map, and if you don't mind the typical DzjeeAr shenanigans you could give it a try.
    There are two powerful keepers and they have access to all the gems. I 'lucked out' by having one of them dig into a powerful hero-pocket and basically getting defeated, which got me access to gems and the confidence to take out the second keeper, but this also led to me having to fight some big hero-attacks early on. Over the course of the game I lost my entire army 3 times I think.

723 Ancient underground

It has the standard DzjeeAr features: No prison, OP-Knights, massive end-game hero parties. This one I find kinda boring, you start with three quarters of the map filled with gems and gold and no enemies at all so you can become as strong as you want. You can than break into a large hero-fortress filled with mostly low level heroes, until eventually a few high level parties spawn. At this point you also get a prison so this will only make you more powerful. At the end you reach a massive battle which you should have no trouble at all winning.

725 Ice Crisis

This map has a bit of a chaotic start where you quickly have to defend against invaders before you claim the portal and then deal with skeleton/bile demon infighting, but after that it is a pretty standard DzjeeAr map. You get the prison later in the game, massive parties filled with lvl10 samurai spawn and in the end you've got to defend against some very OP-Knights. This map you get no bridge and you face some ranged heroes in long lava-mazes, but I worked my way around that by casting Armageddon. Not a bad map at all if you like big fights.
    Last edited by YourMaster; November 29th, 2019 at 19:47.

Seems like the pathfinding bug is a big deal. If there's one thing that could be fixed for the current best KeeperFX, would that be the one you'd choose?