Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Community maps worth playing

Default Re: 10 best community maps

Most definitely.

Mapmaker

In my defense. I made maps 430 and 431 when I was 13 and 14 having only just started making maps. I realise how shoddy they are compared to others. I've changed them since then.
    But hey. You win some, you lose some. Not all of our mapmaking skills are going to be the best.
    Nice to actually get some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by shortmicky View Post
    In my defense. I made maps 430 and 431 when I was 13 and 14 having only just started making maps. I realise how shoddy they are compared to others. I've changed them since then.
    But hey. You win some, you lose some. Not all of our mapmaking skills are going to be the best.
    Nice to actually get some feedback.
    Haha! Have just read the review, your childhood efforts... absolutely slated!

Maybe we can convince Mefistotelis to come back even just for the pathfinding bug, if it's not a terribly difficult bug to fix. He's very responsive to email. I'm sure he is just busy elsewhere (perhaps with drones and other projects https://github.com/mefistotelis).

In six months or so I might have time to work on it myself, if I can even learn what would be involved. I'm a programmer but not familiar at all with this type of project. Is anyone else on here familiar with the whole process and possibly interested in figuring it out?

You're free to ask. I won't, he's aware the bug is there, and when he stopped working on keeperfx he intended to return to it someday but indeed having lost a bit of motivation in combination with having some positive but time-consuming developments in his personal life.

He never looked into the pathfinding bug because he though the bug itself was difficult to reproduce. When that became clear I provided him with maps that crashed because of this straight away and he would look into it as soon as he would finish refactoring some submitted code, but left before he got to that point. So how easy or difficult to bug is to fix is unknown. But like I said in the other topic you commented today, the extent to which this bug manifests is much worse in keeperfx than in the original game so there's a good chance it is not in the original code but in Mefisto's code you can find here.

812 The Causeway
    http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk1_map...hp?start=00812

there was a great potential in this map, but in the end it turned out to be easy, and a lot of camping.

spawning hero parties are low level, and you can take a route around them so you dont have to fight them in the beginning (but you also have no bridge, so u CAN'T really fight'em before you go around and dig from the south) so just when you lvl up your creatures, you can waste'em to make vampires, but you dont really need'em cuz the final fight vs lord of the land and avatar is nothing but a walk in the park for your already built army. pity.

btw i managed to play 249 Ashfordania without game errors and i have to say it was quite a challenge: main hero keep was really well guarded and full of dangerous traps but overall the map lacked harassment from the heroes: as soon as i found out when and where they spawn i was easily able to wall myself in, and btw it was a must do, cuz the parties were 10lvl heroes including samurai' while i was only halfway in my research in library.
    another thing: rival keeper sometimes builds himself up nice, and sometimes digs right into big hero party and dies (also there is a hero door at his 4sides gem site, but when he develops well, he is able to keep'em at bay).
    Last edited by troco; January 15th, 2018 at 17:21.

337 Dragonpeak
    http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk1_map...hp?start=00337

hero invasion map, with no hero dungeon heart, only heroes spawning to crush you, it also has nice story BUT... unfortunately it's a little imbalanced: first party that attacks you consists of lvl 5/6 enemies (thieves, dwarves) and you could defend from this with no problem, but there quickly join much higher lvls like 7-10 (knight, barb, giant), so the only way to win that is to wall yourself in (you've got 1side gem tile, prison, torture chamber - but no mistresses thru portal nor temple, cuz there are no insects, and scavenger room - yeah, you can syphon them wizards and samurais, if you obtained them from the nearby gold covered caves). so all in all, it's camping unfortunately, nothing new since lvls 17 and 18 from original DK, and looks a little easier then Batezek in DD.

i forgot about one thing: you only have a treasury that can keep about 18k of gold, and cannot expand it (building unavailable), guess you can call that some kind of a challenge, still, you have workshop.
    Last edited by troco; January 15th, 2018 at 19:28.

1103 Drosophilium
    http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk1_map...hp?start=01103

interesting map, early harassment (awkward tho, you'll like it :P), very nice plot/scenario.
    it is quite well scripted, there is quite a lot of exploring + uncovering, yet final fight could be harder.

what I didnt like is that after the first really big wave of enemies, there is a lot of time for camping, and you only have 1 gem tile so you have to frameskip.
    would be much better if you got attacked more often with lower level enemies than just one attack by horde of highlvls, would be funnier, and kept you occupied.

I'm gonna check other maps by RangeX becacuse I've seen that they have nice script to them, although I have the same problem as YourMaster: I like maps with nicely created terrain, and RangeX's maps are a little simple.

Does anyone else think that maps where there are tons of lightning or gas traps in between each door you have to get through are just tedious and annoying? It doesn't take any strategy to exhaust them and claim the tiles, just time. When it's one room after another of that, it just seems pointless.
    Last edited by spartahawk; January 16th, 2018 at 18:48.

Yeah, preplaced traps on maps are no fun. It's not like you can do anything about it to prevent it from triggering in the first place so all you can do is limit damage by dropping an imp on it before it recharges. It also makes using your temple for imp-sacrifices mandatory. I've listed it as one of the no-no's in this topic.

Traps are ok for the player to use defensively but even there they aren't what make the game.