Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magic door and magical attack

Default Re: Magic door and magical attack

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsLover View Post
    Magic doors are best destroyed in possession mode. If you have a vampire with drain, you can just punch the door instead of draining, it's going to be way faster. In fact, the same goes with the lightning of the mistress: claws are more effective.
    I know that, you know that, but the game doesn't tell you that. So a regular player doesn't know. Besides, the AI doesn't 'know' either, so you can keep vampires out with magic doors quite effectively. I'm talking about consistency and affordance for players, not about how easy it is to break a door.

In my head every spell matched to one category, I didn't though about complicating it.

Physical
    - all attacks which crush, cut or slap are physical.
    Electric
    - lightnings are electric.
    Combustion
    - all fire explosions are due to combustion.
    Frostbite
    - This is only freeze spell
    Heatburn,
    - All non-explosive heat attacks (firebreath, lava)
    Biological
    - Diseases and live splatting projectiles (missles)
    Respiratory
    - Things creatures inhale - gases
    Restoration,
    - Things that have positive impact over your creatures
    Magical
    - Everything which is odd enough to not match any other category

ok, kinda makes sense. In that case would take out magical though, and make up specific categories for whatever doesn't fit. What do you have left, drain?

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    ok, kinda makes sense. In that case would take out magical though, and make up specific categories for whatever doesn't fit. What do you have left, drain?
    DRAIN and WOP.

I will also have to categorize some things which do not cause damage, but for these the category won't have any impact in the game.

In that case you could drop 'Magical', add WOP to combustion(perhaps rename that to heatimpact or something) and add a new category for drain, like 'Vampiric' or 'Lifedrain'.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ecarus333

WOP and Drain fit in Magical category, since WOP is a magical powerful explosion, and Drain steals with magic some life of your enemy.

In that case you could drop 'Magical', add WOP to combustion(perhaps rename that to heatimpact or something) and add a new category for drain, like 'Vampiric' or 'Lifedrain'.

Why combustion? I dont think that the WOP is a fire explosion, is more like a magic attack, because of the name. If WOP is a fire explosion it could be called different.

Another thing: I notice that WOP doesnt make any damage to any creature. Is that intended or is a bug?

I do agree that WOP and Drain are magical attacks. But lightning is also a magical attack, and fireball is also a magical attack, and hailstorm.

WOP always looked like a fire explosion to me, but I'm happy to accept that it's not a ring of fire exploding from the caster but just magic that resembles fire.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ecarus333

I do agree that WOP and Drain are magical attacks. But lightning is also a magical attack, and fireball is also a magical attack, and hailstorm..
    Why not? Just think on the name "Word of Power", it sounds like magic, not like a fire explosion. And if WOP is a fire explosion, as you said, why it doesnt fit in magic category? And why fireball IS a magical attack? If both are fire attacks you dont think that both fit in magical category?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dragonslover

What's the purpose of sorting all the spells in many different categories btw? To my eyes, it has always been divided into 2 main categories: abilities such as melee attack, arrow of the archer, dig & claim of the imp, fart of the bile demon, flame breathe of the dragon/hellhound and spells which is the rest. What's the importance of making the fireball a fire based attack and the freeze a cold based one?

As for the SPIKE, VORTEX and SOLID_BOULDER shots, I think these are alpha version stuff, unless SOLID_BOULDER is actually used by the boulder trap which would be surprising since there's already the BOULDER shot. GOD_LIGHTNING and GOD_LIGHTNING_BALL is the Lightning Keeper spell and the rest is self-explanatory.
    I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ecarus View Post
    Why not? Just think on the name "Word of Power", it sounds like magic, not like a fire explosion. And if WOP is a fire explosion, as you said, why it doesnt fit in magic category? And why fireball IS a magical attack? If both are fire attacks you dont think that both fit in magical category?
    I think you missed what he said. He specifically agreed that Word of Power is magic and even mentioned how it looking like a fire explosion is a personal vibe that applied to him.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!