Thread: University of Hades (Ancient Keeper) Issue

Default University of Hades (Ancient Keeper) Issue

Hi, I'm a new user here who played Dungeon Keeper as a kid back in the late 90s / early 2000s and recently found it again, and through KeeperFX, got it back up and running.

I completed the original campaign easily enough (minus one level that seemed to have been edited hugely to include countless unpredictable triggers, each dropping a small army).

At the moment I've been clearing through the Ancient Keeper campaign, with which I'm hugely impressed, though it's quite time consuming as I have frequently had to restart the level and consult walkthroughs or threads here.

In 'University of Hades', I've managed to get as far as destroying the Green Keeper's Heart. Funnily enough, I used the Ghost to blow the Hero Knight through the wall corner into the dungeon, but he was killed by enemy imps. I suppose it was a minor bug and he got stuck, which sometimes happens. So I blew my Samurai through it and used him to destroy the Heart. I then blew the captured Tunneler throgh as well, hoping he would break through the Hero walls, but he didn't. He would wander around the Treasure Room but never dug into the walls, and so I could not progress any further.

I even tried dropping my Imp into the area to let him chase him and then retrieve the Imp, hoping he'd be incited into tunneling out, but to no avail.

What can I do here?

Also, from threads I've read in the past, I've seen the term 'dexterity bug' or 'fix' mentioned a few times. Does this refer to certain creatures never seeming to land a hit, which I've noticed before?

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: University of Hades (Ancient Keeper) Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Gwame View Post
    Also, from threads I've read in the past, I've seen the term 'dexterity bug' or 'fix' mentioned a few times. Does this refer to certain creatures never seeming to land a hit, which I've noticed before?
    In vanilla, melee units had the problem of their dexterity surpassing 255 and then overflowing due to 8 bit limitations, resetting it back to 1. Ancient Keeper is built entirely around vanilla, including its bugs. So when KeeperFX fixed this bug, it naturally can cause certain problems with Ancient Keeper, as have been reported in the past.

I don't know what to say about this level specifically and cannot help you there. Personally I didn't like Ancient Keeper and found it too repetitive and time consuming, I stopped at Level 5.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

I don't know about repetitive, but it certainly gets frustrating. I suppose Ancient Keeper is, by now, ancient itself, so bugs are to be expected. It's pretty ironic since the campaign relies on constantly exploiting bugs. Is there a list of issues KeeperFX is known to cause with it?

And would you know of any other custom campaigns worth playing? I only reinstalled DK a couple weeks ago so I haven't tried much. I started the campaign where you play as Heroes but found it quite underwhelming.

And the recorded 'mentor' voices in both of the above, woeful.

I don't know about repetitive, but it certainly gets frustrating.
    First level demonstrates the repetition quite well with the fact that you have to go back and forth while slowly casting Meteor w/Fireballs to kill countless Archers with a Level 6 Warlock while exploiting high tiles adjacent to low tiles. Then there's that one level with the Mistresses, I found the early phase of possession to be rather annoying.

Is there a list of issues KeeperFX is known to cause with it?
    Not that I know of. When I tried Ancient Keeper, I didn't want to deal with any potential problems FX might offer with a campaign like Ancient, so I played with the vanilla game. I was still on XP back then so I could actually run default DK1 easily.

And would you know of any other custom campaigns worth playing? I only reinstalled DK a couple weeks ago so I haven't tried much. I started the campaign where you play as Heroes but found it quite underwhelming.
    Which one? There's a number of them if I recall correctly. I played one of them that, in the first level, involved a hero dungeon that was supposed to be a "Keeper" and it had some weak Creature Heroes like Beetles. I found it kinda uninteresting personally and never finished it, but that was when I was much younger. I don't remember much about it other than the fact that the Hero room attractions was done via script, which was a detail that stuck out to me as I was much more interested in DK1 level designing as a child.

I haven't played much of most campaigns. Usually it was when I was younger that I had the time but I found a lot of them unappealing and didn't get far before stopping. I did beat Burdened Imp's campaign and enjoyed it quite a bit. I found the level design to be creative and gave me the same feelings of enjoyment as playing the original game for the first time. There's a certain feeling of professionalism in them that other campaigns I felt lacked. The Undead Campaigns can also be fun, as most maps made by Duke Ragereaver I believe can be recommended. I playtested a lot of his maps myself.

And the recorded 'mentor' voices in both of the above, woeful.
    Oh god the Mentor messages. I struggle to understand what a lot of them are saying. Though I have to admit I like Burdened Imp's overworld messages. It's an Imp voice that sounds kind of cute without being annoying and is very understandable, in my opinion.

Tesonu is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    First level demonstrates the repetition quite well with the fact that you have to go back and forth while slowly casting Meteor w/Fireballs to kill countless Archers with a Level 6 Warlock while exploiting high tiles adjacent to low tiles. Then there's that one level with the Mistresses, I found the early phase of possession to be rather annoying.
    That's what you did? I just cast the disease spell a few times on them. Possession is necessary a few times throughout the campaign, at least thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    I haven't played much of most campaigns. Usually it was when I was younger that I had the time but I found a lot of them unappealing and didn't get far before stopping. I did beat Burdened Imp's campaign and enjoyed it quite a bit. I found the level design to be creative and gave me the same feelings of enjoyment as playing the original game for the first time. There's a certain feeling of professionalism in them that other campaigns I felt lacked. The Undead Campaigns can also be fun, as most maps made by Duke Ragereaver I believe can be recommended. I playtested a lot of his maps myself.
    There are far too many maps/campaigns included in KeeperFX so I just meant to ask what you'd recommend. Burdened Imp sounds interesting so I might give that a try next. Is there a multiplayer scene these days?

That's what you did? I just cast the disease spell a few times on them. Possession is necessary a few times throughout the campaign, at least thus far.
    Oh, was there a Disease spell? I think I vaguely remember that one now that you mention it. At least the Warlock got fed EXP. The Mistress possession was a definite issue though.

Also I just remembered that I probably spammed Navigating Missile, which is much faster as it's so OP in possession for some reason reason.

There are far too many maps/campaigns included in KeeperFX so I just meant to ask what you'd recommend. Burdened Imp sounds interesting so I might give that a try next.
    I would agree. More the reason not to try adding too many more without some kind of filter ^^

Is there a multiplayer scene these days?
    No, not yet at least.

Tesonu is napping!