Thread: Music gets irritating

Default Music gets irritating

I just tried playing it.

I actually downloaded it just after release. Then tied to play, but it started downloading updates. After 30 minutes of looking at progress bar, my free time window ended.

Then after reading a few reviews (which gave the game 1/10 up to 3/10) I've decided to try it again a month ago. It downloaded updates again, but this time I got further - I started the game and tutorial, played ~10 minutes, then it crashed and restarted, starting tutorial from the beginning. I gave up again.

Today was my 3rd try. As always, it started with downloading updates. But after ~7 minutes I was able to start the game (tutorial, again).

I'm not planning to describe how the game encouraged me to buy gems, as every review mourns on that.
    I must say I really like the mentor voice, it's funny and the right person is reading it.
    But the music - at first I though it'll be great, as the theme matches the game. But soon after I realized that it's the same, short theme, played over and over again.

That brings me to the point:

Is there any more music, unlocked later, or maybe in other screens/actions?
    I can't believe you're supposed to listen the same 1min sample for hours of gameplay...

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: Music gets irritating

Wow. Just, wow.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

The game seems to be made on as cheap a budget as possible. The game is made in Unity, which is both relatively cheap and simple to use as far as game engines are concerned, and allows for trivially easy deployment to iOS/Android.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had a very low (if even existent) music budget and just threw something together to last a minute.

The Awakening

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

So basically, EA wanted to make some money, but they also had to take a crap, so they decided to get both of them done at the same time.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

After playing a bit more, I think I solved the mystery.

You are never able to play the game long enough for the music to replay.

Also, the music sample is longer - it has, i think, over 5 minutes.
    It's just one song, so one theme repeats many times in it.

Now, after a few days of "kind-of-playing", I think I understand how you're supposed to play the game "correctly".

The thing is - you can only do as many tasks as you have imps - if you have 3 imps, it's 3 tasks (you actually start with 2 imps).
    So you can play ~20 minutes only first time, during the tutorial, and after it.

Just after the tutorial, you can upgrade rooms to level 2 and build new basic rooms, and also dig out some terrain near heart. This is the only time you can do a lot of actions in a row. Later, you're supposed to play this like "Ogame" - start 3 new tasks (ie. mark 3 blocks for digging) and close the game for 24 hours (I also recommend forcing its process to stop).

You are only able to play ~1 minute each day, then you can just watch your dungeon.
    So - yeah, now the music no longer irritates me, it didn't even looped for the last few days I played it.
    The game actually loads a few times longer than the time I'm spending on playing it.
    Last edited by mefistotelis; April 17th, 2014 at 19:43.

You can spend a lot of time raiding. The common complaint from high level players a few months ago was that you needed to do 8 hour raiding marathons to upgrade top level rooms, otherwise you could never hope to amass enough resources to upgrade them, as people with lot of stored resources are prime targets for plundering. (You cannot be attacked while your game is open.) Combat has a different music, which I find less annoying.