Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Overworld Gameplay: What will it be like?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: beringline

Default Re: Overworld Gameplay: What will it be like?

I think it would be too easy if you had a creature / minion with you at each level. I had a level 10 vampire in most of the maps - and some maps I defeated in just a matter of few minutes, because I just went straight for the opponents dungeon hearts - even if they had loads of creatures, they could not kill my lvl 10 Vampire.

So I don't think it would be balanced if you can transfer your creatures often.

I kinda miss maps where you start out with 1 creature, no imps or anything. I like them, they take time to win, and they are challenging.

Also the map in DK1 where you can't build a training room, untill very late in the game - is very nice too. And then imagine, no training room at all.

About the gameplay - I think it could be cool with the three planes, or what you call them, upper middle and lower. where the middle could be some barrent place, where you only can build traps and such. (AND you can restrict your imps for going there - so they won't get killed over and over agani by lightning traps! - and there should be a creature, which can disable traps, I think)

somewhere fun (i tell a lie it's actually quite boring, oh I wish I lived in liechstenstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbaby View Post
    I think it would be too easy if you had a creature / minion with you at each level. I had a level 10 vampire in most of the maps - and some maps I defeated in just a matter of few minutes, because I just went straight for the opponents dungeon hearts - even if they had loads of creatures, they could not kill my lvl 10 Vampire.

So I don't think it would be balanced if you can transfer your creatures often.

I kinda miss maps where you start out with 1 creature, no imps or anything. I like them, they take time to win, and they are challenging.

Also the map in DK1 where you can't build a training room, untill very late in the game - is very nice too. And then imagine, no training room at all.

About the gameplay - I think it could be cool with the three planes, or what you call them, upper middle and lower. where the middle could be some barrent place, where you only can build traps and such. (AND you can restrict your imps for going there - so they won't get killed over and over agani by lightning traps! - and there should be a creature, which can disable traps, I think)
    Exactly Transferring cretures should be difficult like you have to go through a massive ordeal to get to it and they wouldn't be in every level or maybe the creatures transferred would go down a few levels.
    I agree i like the maps where you have like one creature and no imps. Myy favourite dungeon keeper level ever was the one in deeper dungeons where you have a spider and you have to build up a dungeon by finding other creatures. (love the bit where you've got to set off the boulder traps to kill the giants). About the planes what I've heard most often is that you have an overworld area then underneath that a dungeon area which is where you were in the first 2 games and then underneath that you've got a deeper area full of inpenetrable rock and big creatures like the giant worm or whatever evi is calling it now. So the lower area would be the barren place not the middle.

Imp
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: lunanoko

I think three layers is too much... Two is fine. I say this because of my experience with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic. You could have three layers in the world, but I always used two, because a third makes it a bit too much to handle (my opinion, ofcourse).

About the Overworld itself: I don't think you should be able to claim anything with your imps! My idea about this is you would build all your stuff on the Dungeon layer, then send your creatures to raid the Overworld. You can set a target on the overworld, then drop all the creatures you want to attack in front of an Overworld entrance. The creatures go up and 'attack move' to the target. Maybe you can cast spells on the overworld if you claimed the dungeon tiles beneath.

Anyway I have to work on school now :P But I'll think about this some more.

somewhere fun (i tell a lie it's actually quite boring, oh I wish I lived in liechstenstein)

I thought that was one of the tings about war for the overworld, it was going to be fought on three layers. I know nothing is final but... .It's not really that much if you think about it The lowest layer is mainly impenetrable rock and so there isn't much down there. You won't actually need to go down there much or at all. Maybe there would be like gems or stuff like that (things that are worth getting but not nessersary. I don't like what you're suggesting for the overworld. It sound to me like you would have little or no control over the overworld and that there's no way of changing that in game. Therefore really what it sounds like you're suggesting is have the overworld on auto and just have it as a bit of visual fluff. Also the other worrying thing about that is that we won't be able to include a lot of the ideas and creatures that people have worked on. The ones that are meant for the overworld like the pixie. I think that the overworld should just react in many ways like normal dungeon keeper the only difference being that you can only really claim areas like villages and towns the rest is either claimed through paths or through influence. It may make sense if you claim villlages to have like a well that your creatures can climb out of and onto the surface.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: beringline

Quote Originally Posted by tehbassdemon View Post
    . It may make sense if you claim villlages to have like a well that your creatures can climb out of and onto the surface.

Hehe very nice Idea. I can just imagine, a trailer - where you see this blond, monk haired kid getting water from the well, and he looks down, and he sees the rope is doing some wierd movements, he takes few steps back, and suddenly, goblins and trolls are comming out of the well, and of course a demon spawn, sceaming. And next you see people screaming, while the village is being burned to the ground, and what left is the well.. quite burned and dirty though.

i think that only 2 layers its more than enought,the third layer its an unecesary complication for the game,just think if you add a lot of deep to the third layer will be too much to control at same time,with the others layers
    if you add low deep/things to do, to the third layer,theres not reason for it,more than an useless add

about the overworld way to work,well it will not look good if imps reclaim there,i think that imp should only work at dungeons
    and only some creatures should be able to go to overworld to steal ,destroy and conquer

i like that you have to conquer some kind of tunnel ,door,well to have acces to the overworld,and from there your creatures will come out and destroy the villages that will be next to that tunnels
    about how to creatures will work,in teory you should only able to use the flag to make your creatures attack (maeby we could have a flag for every kind of creature) but the keeper should not be able to use his power in overworld because that heroes land,keeper powers cant reach heroes land only the creatures can

maeby at overworld you will be able to build watch towers or something where you can assing a creature or maeby more,because like creatures need to sleed and eat,they will have to go down to the dungeon so that will take them time ,and in that time nobody will be keeping the tunnels to the overwolrld

I think gameplay on most levels should generally be in keeping with DK, ie digging out a dungeon, kill heroes, etc.
    But with a few editions to the objectives that would effect the Overworld, such as:

• Destroying support structures for a building that contains a large portion of the hero army.

• Poising the underground spring by putting some dead bodies in it.

• Doing various things to force the heroes to come down into your domain, where you have the home advantage.

Basically keeping to the traditional recipe and adding a bit of extra flavouring. Also I think it would feel a bit like you are commanding a guerilla army.

Of course I think that these unique objectives should be something that only occurs every so often. Therefore making it more special
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"

Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: popgunpigeon

Quote Originally Posted by A New Room View Post
    I think gameplay on most levels should generally be in keeping with DK, ie digging out a dungeon, kill heroes, etc.
    But with a few editions to the objectives that would effect the Overworld, such as:

• Destroying support structures for a building that contains a large portion of the hero army.

• Poising the underground spring by putting some dead bodies in it.

• Doing various things to force the heroes to come down into your domain, where you have the home advantage.

Basically keeping to the traditional recipe and adding a bit of extra flavouring. Also I think it would feel a bit like you are commanding a guerilla army.

Of course I think that these unique objectives should be something that only occurs every so often. Therefore making it more special
    I like that. I think you should also be able to undermine battlefields whenever fighting on the surface and collapse them beneath the heroic forces.
    {RPG} Creature Page: Here | My Maps, My Comic

Not even Vermillion reads the OOC threads

Current Awakening Creatures

8 :Creatures Dispatched | Creatures Killed: 9

Think about it this way, the creatures can go anywhere (no more restriction of walls) so their characteristic features should really determine where they go. However if torches are in place most creatures with an IQ of 30+ will follow the torch(read below) instead of buzzing off.

For example, Bile demons will wander but will always come back out of hunger,
    as long as they don't get lost but they can be picked up.

I think Imps should plant stick-torches where the flame is your colour (red Keepers have red-flame torches etc) and a torch can also be set as a patrol path. (making reason to have more than them just being a direct route from location A to location B)
    These torches also have a 5x5 spacing which is what allows you to drop your creatures there, placing torches near enemy structures will take longer to assemble but once assembled the enemy's building(s) will be yours and though you cannot sell them, it will make any of the buildings in the vicinity to look blood-scarred and ruined looking, but a useful foot-hold on the overworld which allows you to create an underworld tunnel to/from it.

Also, you don't need to have torches leading up to the enemy in order to attack them, you can always use the call to arms flag and your creatures will come running, however they may get lost on their way back.

Alos. Perhaps to make your spells stronger you could build a 'shrine' of some sort on the surface which has to be directly above your library, this amplifies your spells at a larger rate with no extra cost to your mana(or gold, whichever one is decided) but this shrine also acts as another way to access your dungeon(or the overworld).
    Last edited by Madkill; January 20th, 2010 at 00:58.

I think that for the now the idea of going onto the surface should be a lesser concern. but the 3 layer idea doesn't really feel like the correct way of doing it. Seems a bit thinly spread in my opinion. Like:

Downstairs there are Rocks and a few things that are just going to beat the s**t out of you, above you is a land that has... well... err... I mean... what is on the surface that a Dungeon Keeper really wants anyway?
    Mentor: "You remove your own heart, fortify it behind stonewalls, deadly traps, and then rely heavily on beings you create yourself. Even psychoanalysts lack words for just how absurdly emo you are…"