Thread: DK interview where they talk about shadows

Default DK interview where they talk about shadows

A couple of years ago I've read an interview about DK somewhere on the internet. Actually, I'm not sure it was in the form of an interview, may have been in third person. Anyway, there was a very interesting (to me) piece of information mentioned there. You know how in the original DK, creatures cast several shadows depending on their relative position to a light source? Apparently this feature wasn't to be in the original game. When the game was very close to shipping, a programmer asked if they would implement shadows, to which Molyneux replied that "shadows were very low on the priority list" and that she (the programmer was referred to as female) could make them if she wanted to, but only if she could do it in a couple of days. Evidently, in a sort of a programming feat, she did.

Anyway I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIND THIS INTERVIEW NOW. I've raped Google search multiple times trying to find it, including quotes like "dungeon keeper shadows", "shadows are very low on the priority list" (for some reason I remembered this exact phrase), "dungeon keeper behind the scenes", and many more, but so far no luck. My question is, does anybody know of this interview, and where I can find it? I am 100% sure it's not a product of my imagination, I'm not that imaginative, and some of the details were very specific (though I can't remember anything else except the bit about shadows). The interview with Simon Carter found here https://keeperklan.com/threads/3533-...-DK3-amp-more! is not the one I'm talking about, because he only very briefly mentions dynamic shadows and no word on the time constraint.

Anyway, this forum is my last and best hope, because I know some of the most dedicated fans of the game frequent here and may know what the hell I'm talking about. Thanks.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: DK interview where they talk about shadows

Closest thing I have is mention to it in the DK1 Gold guide, but it is missing some of the details you mentioned, so it probably isn't what you're looking for. I don't have it with me right now so I'd have to go looking for it at another time.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Still, thanks a lot. Do you mean they have behind the scenes information in the guide?! That's awesome, I'm going to try to find one.

OK, so I was reading the DK guide, the last section of it where there are short interviews of the developers, and found out that Simon Carter had a brother called Dene who also worked on the game. In that short interview, he takes the credit for programming the shadows:
    "What bit of the game are you personally most proud of?" "In my case, the creatures' shadows. I programmed them on a bet. I won"
    So basically this is the story I was talking about, but it's not the actual interview. I'm still hoping to find it.

I remember such story.. but wasn't it a video interview with someone?

Hmm it may have been, through I think I remember actually reading it...