Thread: Use of Jobs: GUARD, BARRACK, GROUP

Default Use of Jobs: GUARD, BARRACK, GROUP

In Dungeon Keeper and KeeperFX among the jobs that could be assigned as Primary/Secondary jobs are: GROUP, BARRACK, GUARD.
    Other jobs for example are TRAIN, RESEARCH.

It is unclear what the GROUP job does, and it has no effect.
    The BARRACK job also had no effect, but is supposed to send the creatures to the BARRACKS
    The GUARD job sends creatures to the GUARD Post.

Since the nightly build of today (R1150), the BARRACK job has been fixed, and it now correctly sends creatures to the BARRACKS.

This leaves the question on how to assign these jobs.

Current implementation:

Orc:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = GUARD

Skeleton:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = GROUP

DemonSpawn:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = BARRACK

Archer:
    PrimaryJobs = MANUFACTURE
    SecondaryJobs = GUARD

My suggestion is to modify this, as the GROUP job has no effect. I would leave the DemonSpawn and Archer as they are, but the GROUP job of the skeleton has no effect, so that could be changed into 'BARRACK'. However, the Orc is attracted by Barracks, and the Skeleton is the perfect guard as it doesn't need sleep nor food so I suggest to set it like this:

Orc:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = BARRACK

Skeleton:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = GUARD

Any opinions on the matter?

Default Re: Use of Jobs: GUARD, BARRACK, GROUP

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    In Dungeon Keeper and KeeperFX among the jobs that could be assigned as Primary/Secondary jobs are: GROUP, BARRACK, GUARD.
    Other jobs for example are TRAIN, RESEARCH.

It is unclear what the GROUP job does, and it has no effect.
    The BARRACK job also had no effect, but is supposed to send the creatures to the BARRACKS
    The GUARD job sends creatures to the GUARD Post.

Since the nightly build of today (R1150), the BARRACK job has been fixed, and it now correctly sends creatures to the BARRACKS.

This leaves the question on how to assign these jobs.

Current implementation:

Orc:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = GUARD

Skeleton:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = GROUP

DemonSpawn:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = BARRACK

Archer:
    PrimaryJobs = MANUFACTURE
    SecondaryJobs = GUARD

My suggestion is to modify this, as the GROUP job has no effect. I would leave the DemonSpawn and Archer as they are, but the GROUP job of the skeleton has no effect, so that could be changed into 'BARRACK'. However, the Orc is attracted by Barracks, and the Skeleton is the perfect guard as it doesn't need sleep nor food so I suggest to set it like this:

Orc:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = BARRACK

Skeleton:
    PrimaryJobs = TRAIN
    SecondaryJobs = GUARD

Any opinions on the matter?
    Having seen the barrack job in action, i think it is better left unassigned to maintain the sole functionality of the barracks (i.e. you selecting which creatures you want to lead for a particular mission e.g. dragons/hornys for over lava missions / self heal creatures for battles).

While it is true that the barracks attracts orcs, this does not qualify them for every barracks group you might want to lead, and it can be tedious locking fully trained orcs and skeletons up every time you want to use the barracks. especially when so many missions involve huge skeleton armies.

I would suggest SecondaryJobs = GUARD for both orcs and skeletons. This would improve gameplay since skeleton lightning is a good imp deterrent.

Or skeletons could be assigned "guard prisoners" if there is such a job. if not, maybe they can be assigned 'freeze prisoners' so they hang around the prison without freezing anyone.

No such job as guard prisoners.

And keep in mind the default jobs don't need to be helpful. The pray job from the ghost is also a pain, but that's part of managing your dungeon. You could just make the game easy and give every creature a primary job TRAIN.

Having level 10 orcs dwell in the barracks have their up and downsides, if you want to have a specific party without them you'll have to throw them out, but they are fine additions to many a raiding party meant to destroy the rival dungeon hearth.
    Flavor wise, I think it is nice to have them there,... gives orcs a bit of a personality, instead of simply training then sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    No such job as guard prisoners.

And keep in mind the default jobs don't need to be helpful. The pray job from the ghost is also a pain, but that's part of managing your dungeon. You could just make the game easy and give every creature a primary job TRAIN.

Having level 10 orcs dwell in the barracks have their up and downsides, if you want to have a specific party without them you'll have to throw them out, but they are fine additions to many a raiding party meant to destroy the rival dungeon hearth.
    Flavor wise, I think it is nice to have them there,... gives orcs a bit of a personality, instead of simply training then sleeping.
    It is a bit more tedious than managing ghosts in the temple. Orcs are blazing fast while ghosts are slow. And as soon as you drop orcs elsewhere, they rush towards the barracks. This gives you very little time to select your group without orcs and requires that you build a barracks as far away from the orc lair as possible. Or lock them in, in which case they'll probably vandalize your dungeon since barrack missions are long whenever i do them. workshops/temples are not always available to keep them occupied.

The only time you need space in the temple on the other hand is for horned reapers. You can build a hatchery very close to the temple, clear it and place all horned reapers in there and you will never have to worry about ghosts taking horny space again in the level. In contrast, using the barracks would involve managing orcs every single time.

I did think orcs to barracks would make great sense when i first saw this post but having seen it in action, i was much happier with their guard personality- good imp deterrant and low hatchery downtime.

If it was possible to create a large enough delay between idle and seeking barracks, this would make more sense. taking their speed into account, of course.

Ghosts are annoying as hell in temples,... they crowd it so your horned reapers won't fit anymore and get angry. They make it difficult to sacrifice enemy imps/creatures because they are attacked by the ghosts before they fall down the temple. And they cause the announcer to keep yelling 'you need a bigger temple'.

As for the Orcs, why don't you bring them along on your missions: They are sturdy fighters, when low on health I guess they flee even when in a party, and if you want to cross lava they just stay behind.
    Besides, if you don't want to bring them, throw them in the workshop, they are the second-best worker you have, or send them to the temple to pray, or manually put them to guard.

I really don't think it's a coincidence that each and every room has creatures going to it by default. The barracks is no exception, there are creatures defaulting to it, that just didn't work because of a bug. And I think we should keep some creatures there by default.
    The demonspawn also has it as a default room of course, but still that's early game. I think the Orc is thematically a much better fit then the skeleton(especially because it is also attracted by it), and the skeleton is nice to be at the fringes of the dungeon.

If you're trying to overwhelm a few creatures, orcs are great. If you're taking on an enemy keeper's level 10 army, however, orcs will be the first to die.

Ghosts crowding temples can be managed in a multitude of ways which is why this works. Orcs crowding barracks is much more tedious to manage in levels without workshop.

If you can create a delay before fully trained orcs seek the barracks and/or make them split their time between 30% of sleep and 70% of barracks, this would work a lot better. Simply dropping them in their lairs where they sleep for a while before seeking the barracks would make it much easier to manage.

They'll use the barracks most of the time as they were meant to and you can leave them out of your group if you want with a little management.
    Last edited by jbthirteen; June 10th, 2014 at 03:24.