Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making a Campaign

Default Making a Campaign

I'm making a campaign (currently made 4 levels) and it all works well and good, with two huge exceptions:

1. The AIs don't work, as in they don't even show up as 'active players' on the information/player tab in-game. I have tried so many things to fix this. To try and fix this at first I essentially copied the file layout for another campaign, and that didn't work. I have also tried a myriad of other potential solutions to no avail. Currently my level scripts have codes for the computer players (i.e. COMPUTER_PLAYER(PLAYER1, 1)) and the levels are listed exactly as they should be in the actual campaign text file. When I change the directory listed in my campaign text file to another campaign's levels (and change level numbers etc accordingly) the AI players are there, and I have no idea why they work and mine don't. The AI players are present in 1-player mode for my level. I have tried with both .lif (computer scripts present in text) and .lof (computer scripts removed in text) files.

2. All in-game tool-tips are messed up due to my 'text_eng.txt' file. I have no idea what I'm doing with that. I have tried listing all my objectives/information and objectives alone in order - basically everything I can think of doesn't work.

So ultimately I have 2 questions:

1. Does anybody know how to fix these issues?
    2. When complete, are campaigns still accepted for integration into KeeperFX?

I am really interested in producing content, and levels are really the only way I can right now (I have little experience with actual code outside of java, which I have mostly forgotten anyway).

Default Re: Making a Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    1. The AIs don't work, as in they don't even show up as 'active players' on the information/player tab in-game.
    This is exactly what would happen if there was no COMPUTER_PLAYER() command in script. If there is such command (as you claim), then look into log file - maybe you'll find some kind of indication why the command is skipped (start the heavylog game, enter the level from map screen to make sure this specific map is loaded, then exit the game and look at keeperfx.log; you will easily locate area in the log file where map was loaded).

2. All in-game tool-tips are messed up due to my 'text_eng.txt' file. I have no idea what I'm doing with that. I have tried listing all my objectives/information and objectives alone in order - basically everything I can think of doesn't work.
    KeeperFX doesn't use .txt files for in-game strings, it uses text_eng.dat. the .dat file is generated from .pot file - this is described in detail on wiki:
    https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/wiki/TextLangMain

2. When complete, are campaigns still accepted for integration into KeeperFX?
    Yes, if only they are long enough (my aim was 6 levels, but many people consider this too short), playtested (by author and someone else), have land view and mentor included, and have certain level of playability (I got quite bad feedback for some campaigns currently included into the game).

Thanks, I will do those things. Hopefully I can fix the AI.

As for the campaign, it's probably going to have 10 levels, with 2 bonus levels. I'm planning every level to have 4-players of varying nature, in that there will be levels where:

+ They will be allied with one another (think the Nemesis mission from Dungeon Keeper 2)
    + Some will be your ally (I'm aware this can be annoying, so probably 1-2 levels with this where they have a specific role and/or simply provide flavour to the map)
    + Heavily trigger involved - i.e. killed by heroes/keepers at a certain time, as to provide somewhat of a progressive 'story' feeling

Obviously due to the low number of levels there won't be introductory missions with level 1 creatures etc, similar to Deeper Dungeons. It won't be a campaign that involves exploits like Ancient Keeper either.

My second listed point actually made me think, is it possible to have players un-ally due to an IF command, or are they permanently allied from the start? As for the land view, is it ok to use the original Dungeon Keeper map? I find that the land views for all other campaigns are highly unattractive and detract from the quality feeling the original Dungeon Keeper campaign had. If not, is it possible to create a land view that does not have poor quality?
    Last edited by Auxin; June 10th, 2014 at 18:36.

is it possible to have players un-ally due to an IF command, or are they permanently allied from the start? As for the land view, is it ok to use the original Dungeon Keeper map?
    You can un-ally, if you will use KeeperFX script syntax (needs LEVEL_VERSION command).
    See KeeperFX readme for details, in the game folder or here:
    http://keeper.lubiki.pl/html/dk_keeperfx_read.php

I find that the land views for all other campaigns are highly unattractive and detract from the quality feeling the original Dungeon Keeper campaign had. If not, is it possible to create a land view that does not have poor quality?
    I don't think I understand.
    The land view is as good as the bitmaps of which it is composed.
    Its creation is described in campaign creation guide:
    https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/s..._campaigns.txt

Technically this may be true, but making a land view is really really difficult to do. To design and make the artwork I mean. Especially because with the flags, it requires a 3d-view of a land corrupting. Doing this well is something very few people are capable of doing.
    Mentor voice is less difficult, but faces the same problem: Very few people are capable voice actors, and just having anybody doing it results in a bad script and bad voice and just an overall worse result.

It is that there really is no active community for either making or playing custom campaigns, but if I were to design functionality for custom campaigns I would make a few changes that would allow high quality work without the need to find/hire a pro-designer and pro-voice actor. Something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	1418

A simple 2d map view is something almost anybody can make, and looks all right. Also, text for the next campaign level, with a possibility for a voice over. A simple button to start the level, and possible bonus levels.

You can probably pay an artist on the myriad of public art blog/websites

Spoiler

for an acceptable/good landscape for cheap. Depends on the artist and what you want. If you want something well-detailed, the person you ask is probably going to want something for it. An average quality cartoony-style landscape that anyone with one hand and a basic understanding of GIMP can draw could be banged out by an artist for $20. Probably. Maybe.

If you do decide to do a voice over, just do a personal job with your desk-mic/headset that's barely adequate enough to appease Mefistotelis. For the sake of everyone, please don't try to do an imp voice. Don't let your mother find you sucking on a helium canister and squeaking into a microphone. That said, I don't see the big deal in needing voice overs. I couldn't understand most of the voices for the custom campaigns because they were either too distorted or they were in another language. Didn't bother me none, the levels themselves were still fun.

Sorry for being a nuisance but I've got two more questions, if anyone could help, that would be highly appreciated:

1. What is the most efficient way to make a new text_eng file for a campaign?
    2. If you use the original DK map view, will the land become corrupted, or does that require additional code?

1. What is the most efficient way to make a new text_eng file for a campaign?
    I updated the Wiki, that will hopefully answer your question.

Thanks for the update, though I don't have linux/android etc so I won't be able to run the script. I'm not entirely sure what it means to text edit a .pot file; I'm not entirely sure what I'm meant to replace, and how I would go about converting that file into .dat format.

Is there anyway (prior to sending them to developers, as it states) to ensure that the level code works? Would the solution be to create a multiplayer version of each level, test them individually, and then slightly recode the levels according to the campaign?

-----------------------

I also figured out what was wrong with my AI, and it was something incredibly simple:

Despite the 'LEVEL_LOCATION' directing my campaign to the appropriate level folder, it would load my map of the same name and number from the multiplayer levels folder. I know that's what was happening because when I modified the multiplayer level's code, it would present in their campaign level (as itself). When I removed the multiplayer level entirely, it would load the intended campaign level from the campaign folder. I also did all this using other campaign .cfg files to make sure that there was nothing wrong with my .cfg specifically, and it yielded the exact same results.

The strange thing is, that problem only occurred when it was 'map00151'. I had to reload the map in Adikted, and re-save it as 'map00000', and then it worked just as it should. I don't know why the number of the map matters in this way.

-----------------------

Thanks for the update, though I don't have linux/android etc so I won't be able to run the script. I'm not entirely sure what it means to text edit a .pot file; I'm not entirely sure what I'm meant to replace, and how I would go about converting that file into .dat format.
    I don't fully understand your questions, but will try to further improve the wiki.

Is there anyway (prior to sending them to developers, as it states) to ensure that the level code works? Would the solution be to create a multiplayer version of each level, test them individually, and then slightly recode the levels according to the campaign?
    If you just ment to ask about playtesting the level - you should test it yourself, and then you may give it to a friend or post it on the forum - someone will surely try it.
    Whether you'll test it as multiplayer, "free play" level or a campaign - it's up to you (note that MP levels have a bit different script, so I'd avoid that). You should give it to someone else to test when it's almost ready for release - best in form of a campaign.
    If you ment to ask for level script verification - just load the level in KeeperFX and look for errors in log file. ADiKtEd can also verify level script, but the game engine itself knows best if there are errors.