Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: modified GUI panel example

Ghost

Default Re: Suggestion: modified GUI panel example

Thanks guys for all your constructive critics. Let me this afternoon when i arrive home think about all and modify my design, i'm now working at the office.

When i proposed the panel, my idea was to keep all the original elements as possible, that's why i maintain the tabs, also, because with the MAIN ICON tab, you know you are in the creatures tab, workshop tab or what else but i must modify it to supress the black horizontal rectangles in some way to gain space for the creatures.

I will try to post a new panel today.
    Last edited by jomalin; July 1st, 2014 at 09:42.

Ghost

Done.

We have gained 4 more creatures now with my new redesigned panel (10 in total are shown) because i saved space deleting the black rectangles between different panels, but i have keept each main icon panel so no more space can we saved if we want it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot - modified 3.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	1457

Remember this is only to get an idea of the panel redesign, it is a draft: borders are not quite well drawn and the background has been repeated without precision of the background pattern.

Some points:
    - Obviously, the sidebar is wider if we want to show all information... it only takes 140 pixels more of width, but i think it doesn't matter with the current modern screens (remember that the original game was 640x480 and now we can have 1280x960, so we still have more ingame screen than the original)
    - I always make the design preserving all the original draws (i didn't supress any icon), and my intention is not to create new objects, only all the original.
    - It is impossible to show all creatures with the original design style in a large panel with the original width. The total number of different creatures are 15x2 = 30. Although we will never have 30 types of different creatures but is technically possible (torturing the enemy creatures to finally get them)
    - Below the info panel, there is a space that now has nothing. How can we do with that?

UPDATE: I have a very good solution to show more creatures and having the panels looks more separated. I will post again a rereredesigned panel tonight...
    Last edited by jomalin; July 2nd, 2014 at 09:45.

I'll await your next design, but I have to say this already looks a lot better, more clean and structured.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Need to add three more Keepers to fill in the empty space of the information tab / section.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ecarus333

I like the new design, i will await to the another for give another opinion, but in this one i still think that those holes where no traps/doors are annoying, but there is a way to clean it?

Ghost

Before posting my new design, let me ask you a thing i don't understand. I do not use so much the info panel, so maybe you can tell me why.

Why in the info panel, there is only information about me? (my number of creatures and my number of rooms) Why the information about the enemy keeper it is not shown?
    For example, playing the 7th level of Deeper Dungeons (Abbadon) and having fought with him and having seen his enemy dungeon heart even, there is no information about the enemy. I only see my number of rooms and my number of creatures, what about this information about my enemy keeper?
    Is that normal?

No, you should see the enemy keepers there.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    No, you should see the enemy keepers there.
    Thanks YourMaster. Can you check if this also happens to you (or anybody else)?

UPDATE: I have checked it and looks like you only see allied keeper info but not enemy keeper info
    Last edited by jomalin; July 2nd, 2014 at 21:54.

This might be a solution for the empty space in info panel.

I suggested a while back that creature info (i.e. wages, anger, etc.) be shown on mouse-over in a DK2-esque style. Here

This would make the empty space less prominent since creature info would fill the space when triggered. The mechanics still need a bit of thought.

A couple of other points:
    A minimum resolution needs to be decided for the new panel and it should be scaleable when using higher resolutions.
    The old-style panel would need to be used for lower resolutions for those who still need/prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by jomalin View Post
    Thanks YourMaster. Can you check if this also happens to you (or anybody else)?
    It works perfectly for me, not just for allied keepers, but always. I'm still on version 1216 though, I've been on 3G-in-the-mountains internet for some weeks(about 4KBs), so haven't had a chance to download full version. I'm now all the way up to 45KBs (hey, that worked well 15 years ago), so I'll download a new version soon. So this could be a bug in the latest releases.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthirteen View Post
    A minimum resolution needs to be decided for the new panel and it should be scaleable when using higher resolutions.
    The old-style panel would need to be used for lower resolutions for those who still need/prefer it.
    I'd say the panel should just be scalable, period.