Thread: other than Ancient Keeper, which other custom campaigns are actaully worth playing?

Default other than Ancient Keeper, which other custom campaigns are actaully worth playing?

Ok. out of all the custom campaigns the Ancient Keeper Campaign is more or less the only one that's actually worth playing.

Still, after playing all the others, I noticed that each had different strengths and flaws than others.

Take the Conquest of the Arctic, It had some interesting level design and a decent script. It's only flaw was that most of the levels were unplayable due to the amount of too many graphic sprites and things on the map all in one go.

Another I noticed was D,j arr's 6 level campaign, the first level was rather poorly done if you ask me. it was let down by failure of an in game script, plot, objectives and most of all, it was just a sheer annoyance to play constantly battling an endless wave of heroes. Still, it had decent level design.

the undead Campaign might have also been a campaign that might had actually been worth playing if the player didn't have to rely on using undead creatures, that have to go up against tougher opponents that are classed as excellent fighters, such as the Dragon, Mistress and Bile Demon. Where as undead creatures are only your typical basic average fighter, that have little change of going up against great armies like that. Still, the author had made some Excellent level designs that were also well scripted.

Evil keeper Campaign was a campaign that was actually playable. It's only drawback was most of the levels lacked any detail or design though to them whatsoever.

Despite me criticizing here. the very first custom map I ever created was Rockhearth. the inspiration of me to create that map was from one of the Deeper Dungeon Maps, Belbata, where you have to go off against three Rival keepers. Still the one thing I often ask for about my work, is feedback, and after receiving several comments, I received some good and negative comments at the same time. I was highly praised for the perfect level design of the map itself. but the not so good side of the map was the fact that I'd not added an objective or dialogue script to the level, or any Hero parties that could spawn from action points. Still at least that was a start.

the second map I ever created was Danbania, and after listening to the criticism and advice that what other people had given me. it gave me that extra push to take that extra step further. I scripted the level with a couple of in game dialogue scripts and even added a couple of spawning hero surprise attacks at the end of the level. something I'd failed to do with the Rockhearth map. Shortly after I released it, the feedback I'd got of other people who had played the level gave me positive remarks. the level Design, The plot and the Script were all something that received general positive feedback unlike the feedback I'd received on the previous level I'd worked on.

So, If you're thinking of creating any Campaigns of your own in the future. here are some useful tips and hints that I've picked up.

1. plan ahead. the first thing you need to do is come up with a decent story or script that would actually suit the campaign. Ask yourself, what would appeal not to just yourself, but possibly to other people. remember, a good script and plot is something a Campaign needs.

2. How should I design the campaign levels? Spend some time coming up with a concept and design that would suit the levels. The most important thing to bear in mind is that the level design should not be rushed, ask yourself, what type of rooms and creatures should I add to the map. you need to give your audience a fighting chance at least. you want to design a level that's challenging but also fun at the same time. And also make sure it's evenly balanced, Such as the type of rooms and creatures available, spells, Gold etc.

3. thoroughly test your levels before releasing your maps. Test your levels extensively. does it play out how you want it to? is their something you've missed? Is it balanced? Does the player stand a fighting chance? Do the creatures I've placed on the map fare well against other specific hero or other creature's that are on the map? Are the scripts and in game commands showing up at the right time. IF not then edit and correct these errors until it works out how it should do.

4. Learn from your mistakes and always ask for comments and feedback. Asking other people for advice and what they thought about your campaign can broaden the attention of your audience. this is a key for how to understanding what other people expect from a campaign that you've made. And most of all, quality and assurance of your audience. further encouraging you to take that extra step in the future.

because of the advice and feedback I've received. I may think about doing a Campaign of my own in the future. I've no idea on what the concept are details of it will be at the moment. But I'll think of something. What does anybody else think?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ecarus333

Default Re: other than Ancient Keeper, which other custom campaigns are actaully worth playin

Did you play Good Campaign? I played it but I didnt complete it, in my opinion is very easy because you can have infinite knights training your thieves and well, some things of the script are very crazy, also, the last level is incredible easy, I have played it and you started with an lvl10 avatar and you have to cross something like a labyrinth with boulder, traps, creatures and more. What did the designer believes? Even using like 15 creatures for killing the avatar is very complicated. Also, the boulders are only decorative, because the avatar is invulnerable to them.

I also wanted to create a campaign, but im the inverse to you, Im very good with the script but creating the map's design Im very bad hahaha

How are you going with script? I hope to see that you create a campaign and that it is added to KFX :P

Default Re: other than Ancient Keeper, which other custom campaigns are actaully worth playin

Yes. I've also played the good Campaign. but like you say, it's too easy. Still it is rather enjoyable and at least it's playable. And yes, I've mastered most techniques of using various script commands.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Ecarus View Post
    Did you play Good Campaign? I played it but I didnt complete it, in my opinion is very easy because you can have infinite knights training your thieves and well, some things of the script are very crazy, also, the last level is incredible easy, I have played it and you started with an lvl10 avatar and you have to cross something like a labyrinth with boulder, traps, creatures and more. What did the designer believes? Even using like 15 creatures for killing the avatar is very complicated. Also, the boulders are only decorative, because the avatar is invulnerable to them.

I also wanted to create a campaign, but im the inverse to you, Im very good with the script but creating the map's design Im very bad hahaha

How are you going with script? I hope to see that you create a campaign and that it is added to KFX :P
    I think the last map was intended like that, to show the awesome power of good.