Thread: General Mapmaking Questions.

Default General Mapmaking Questions.

Hello, I've been playing Dungeon Keeper for the past 15 years or so and it's still classed as my favorite game of all times. I've completed the official campaign a uncountable amount of times, and I've got quite far in the fanmade ones from KeeperFX (There are some which I'm still stuck on though)

Anywho, I really want to repay you guys with my own Campaign, but I'm currently a noob at mapmaking, I've noticed that Unded is the best editor according to most of you guys, even though the graphics of that program is quite confusing to work with. But I was wondering, what kind of programs would you reccomend for creating entertaining maps in Dungeon Keeper? If you could just list the ones that comes to mind, that'd be lovely c:

And also, I'd really love to use the official editor due to it actually letting me see what my map looks like. Is that such a terrible idea? o:

I tried to google Dungeon Keeper Mapmaking guides, but it just gave me a bunch of stuff about DK2 and some random mumbo-jumbo :/ So, would anyone like to link me some guides about how to get started with it, as well as some advanced guides so I can enhance my skills further? :P

Those are basicly my current questions, once I get more into the mapmaking process, I'll use this thread to ask more of them
    Thanks in advance, I really love you all for keeping the Dungeon Keeper community alive <3

P.S. If topics like this already exists, then just guide me there

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Re: General Mapmaking Questions.

The Unded editor is the worst one to use because it produces glitchy maps. I'm not sure how you got the impression otherwise actually as everyone I hear says otherwise. Who exactly said it was good? Just curious.

The official editor is probably the best for new mapmakers as it's the easiest to use and the best to reflect upon since you see everything. The Adkited editor is technically more powerful but it can be a little slower and is also a little more difficult to get used to due to the lack of proper GUI. From what I remember, there's not too much more you can do with Adkited honestly. You just have access to a larger selection of objects. Like you can make grave objects and stuff, like in Level 12 I believe how there are graves at the entrance to your dungeon. It's mostly decorative. There's also built in scripting functions but outside of verifying proper use of commands and such in the script, I personally always preferred to work with the script file in a traditional notepad file. Seems about the same to me.

You can check here for scripting advice once you actually make a level. With the official editor, you can figure out most things just by working with the editor, although there's still some extra stuff like how to lock doors. There's a manual for that in the link I gave you.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

I'm sorry, I actually meant Adikted, not Unded x3 But thanks for the info, it's very much appreciated c:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthexx View Post
    I'm sorry, I actually meant Adikted, not Unded x3 But thanks for the info, it's very much appreciated c:
    I had a feeling that was the case. But nevertheless, there's some clarification and guidance for you.

Tesonu is napping!

Quick question, I got Dungeon Keeper GOG Version, since my original copy is scratched enough that I can't use it, but the GOG version doesn't come with the Editor, so... I tried to download it seperately, and got the installer, but when I put it in my GOG/KeeperFX folder, it says that it can't find my Dungeon Keeper executable, so could you link me a working version of the original editor that I can just perhaps extract into my DK folder? c:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthexx View Post
    Quick question, I got Dungeon Keeper GOG Version, since my original copy is scratched enough that I can't use it, but the GOG version doesn't come with the Editor, so... I tried to download it seperately, and got the installer, but when I put it in my GOG/KeeperFX folder, it says that it can't find my Dungeon Keeper executable, so could you link me a working version of the original editor that I can just perhaps extract into my DK folder? c:
    I don't use GOG nor FX. However, there is this thread forgetting the editor to work with FX.

Tesonu is napping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAYXgbSlSv0
    This applies to pretty much everything that lacks a GUI, you get used to it very quickly.

Just draw up something nice and ask in this thread when you hit any problems. When you get around to scripting you'll definitely have some trouble, but again, just ask and someone will help (eventually).
    The only resources you need are;
    Adikted
    dk_adikted_manual doc
    dk_scripting_ref doc
    https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/w...ScriptCommands

Scripting ref and manual should have come with ADiKted, in your docs folder.