Thread: Colors a little wrong when importing sprites

Default Colors a little wrong when importing sprites

I've noticed when replacing some textures that the colors appear different from when you view an image in Windows as a PNG and when it's imported. I don't think there's any problem with the pngpal2raw-tool as it's importing all the existing textures correctly. Most of them appear as they do in-game except fo the Ghost that's much darker as PNG. I've also noticed it's mostly the color blue that appear the most noticeably off and there's really no creature with that much blue.

What I wonder really is if this effect can be explained and maybe emulated in Photoshop or GIMP? Red and green just seem a little darker but blue is more on the side of purple. I'm thinking just so I don't have to import a picture to see how the colors look.

I've attached an image of an image how it looks like as a PNG and in-game.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ingame.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	1532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	1533

Default Re: Colors a little wrong when importing sprites

Quote Originally Posted by Daver690 View Post
    What I wonder really is if this effect can be explained and maybe emulated in Photoshop or GIMP? Red and green just seem a little darker but blue is more on the side of purple. I'm thinking just so I don't have to import a picture to see how the colors look.
    KeeperFX uses 8-bit colour space - the texture during conversion to KeeperFX format has the colors snapped to nearest color of KeeperFX palette. This is most likely the reason you see different colors, although KeeperFX engine can also adjust the texture to in-game lighting.

Anyway to emulate this behavior in photoshop/gimp, you'd need to load KeeperFX palette there (ie. create a new image, convert it to KeeperFX 8bpp colour space, and then paste the texture there).

Also, note that the tool to convert KeeperFX graphics (pngpal2raw) has options to use diffusion - this makes the converter to accumulate colour error values, and use pixels of different colour to compensate. This makes the image more chaotic with colours selection, but from a distance it should give the impression of original colours.