Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Campaign - New game plus

Default Re: Campaign - New game plus

Keepers in this game have a serious issue with training their creatures. They usually only have a small handful of high level troops and they're the ones that automatically train. Half their creature pool is taken up by low level trolls/biles/locks. They don't react well to traversing lava either. Just convert their bridge when they build it and sell it. Attack over. The end. Everybody go home. We'll try again in five minutes.

If you can find a way around those problems, it'll definitely spike the difficulty of the game a bit.

Yes, they don't always have the best trained creatures. However, it is already completely different in KeeperFX from the original game. There only creatures with primary job as training would train, and then only until gold ran out. There you always faced mostly level 1 creatures.
    In KeeperFX the AI prioritizes research - and uses all creatures who can for this, including the bile demons and spiders - but afterward will throw his creatures into the training room. When gold runs out he will use the workshop to gain gold until enough to train a bit more. This is of course a slow process. All in all, the result is a lot more trained creatures.
    What helps is to give the AI more gold or fewer spells to research, which I have occasionally done.

Are there any particular maps where you found the keepers creatures under leveled?

The bridge thing,... yes, claiming the ai bridge is an overly successful way of dealing with your rival. I don't think there is anything I can do about it, except for completely redesigning levels so that the AI doesn't need to use bridges.

Where there any particular maps which you didn't enjoy because of this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Krizzie View Post
    Oh and I didn't get the ending movie when I won the map!
    This was a bug with the game, I reported it and it is now fixed. I also needed to update my file to match. See: issue

I've also updated the last 6 levels to boost the difficulty a bit:

15: When one keeper is almost dead, the other one gets a boost in power
    16: More difficult to wall in hero party, boulder trap removed
    17: Some levels of heroes raised, additional party spawns at endgame
    18: Most of the gems removed
    19: Thieves replaced with dwarves, temple moved to be inaccessible
    20: Slowed creature generate speed, this increases the advantage of blue's starting vampire.

Download here.

may be an obvious question but... i dont see 0.4.6 on the official website? i only see 0.4.5

0.4.5 is the latest full release. Work on the next version has been going on for quite some time, and this includes a some new script commands. This campaign already uses them.

So the choices are wait until the 0.4.6 release, or download the latest nightly build, which has all recent improvements.

KeeperFX 0.4.6 has been released, and it contains a bug where computer players do not do anything including mining gold when you don't give them enough gold. I was informed that level 5 in New Game + became unplayable in version 0.4.6 because the blue keeper stopped working there. I reported the bug, but in the meantime I have updated the level to give blue more gold and the level works again.
    So please redownload the campaign if you are on KeeperFX 0.4.6.

If any other levels have problems in 0.4.6 (or beyond) please let me know.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ecarus333

What a dissapointing campaign, i expected more than a challenge, but almost nothing has changed from the original. Im still playing it, so i will only do a review for the 13 levels i have played so far.

Eversmile: Its the first level so there is little to say here. It is faster and the heroes are a bit stronger.
    Cosyton: This is for me, the hardest map compared to the original one, the heroes are a lot stronger, and they come faster, the lord of the land literally killed all of my minions, i won because of my imps. No joke it was so funny hahahaha.
    Waterdream Warm: Almost no changes, heroes are stronger, but nothing more.
    Flower Hat: I just frameskip until i have all my creatures lvl10, so this was easy.
    Lushmeadow-on-Down: I transfered a lvl10 demon spawn from Flowerhat, so i cheesed really easy.
    Snuggledell: Just wait for blue to end without gold, creatures will soon leave and it they dont you have lvl advantage.
    Wishvale: This is the map that really annoyes me. Blue plays so aggresive, but in a bad way. I transfered a lvl10 Mistress from Snuggledell when he started digging out my NW gold, he breached my dungeon when most of his creatures were lvl3, so my mistress killed them easily and blue too. Heroes are a joke. Btw i didnt knew that there was a transfer creature special in this realm.
    Tickle: Same as Wishvale, but atleast in this case blue attacked later, so most of my creatures died. How ever it was easy.
    Moonbrush Wood: The lack of gems in my side made it a lot harder, i didnt meet the criteria for the transfer creature special because of this. Heroes here are a joke too.
    Nevergrim: Same as original except that there is no Transfer creature special. If i wanted to use the transfer creature special from Moonbrush or the secret realm I would cheese here so easy.
    Hearth: The lack of Transfer Special in Nevergrim made it a lot harder. Also i liked that you have to get the Transfer Special before final wave or byebye special lol.
    Elf's Dance: Another map where i dont feel any change. Also the Transfer Special has no criteria, so you could easily cheese here and use it.
    Buffy Oak: Same as Elf's Dance but here you can cheese easier, i transfered a lvl10 Orc from ED. Blue died quickly, green was a little bit harder but as i have numeric advantage he died easily.

Sorry to disappoint, but yes it is supposed to be almost the same as the original campaign. It's not a 'hard version of the original campaign, or a 'new campaign inspired by the original campaign', it IS the original campaign, just a bit streamlined with the tutorial taken out.

Take level 3(waterdream warm) where you say the only change is the heroes are stronger, in fact there are many more changes.
    For example in the original you have to build all rooms before you get a library and instructions on how to use it, in NG+ you get it straight away. In the original the level waited with the timers until you had built everything, in NG+ it starts straight away. The original level had 269 lines of script, NG+ has reduced that to 149 lines and this includes 80 setup lines in both files. All that is tutorial stuff taken out. This doesn't make the level difficult, it just makes it less annoying for somebody who has played the game before.

Simply put, play this campaign if you feel like playing the original levels again, not if you're looking for something new.
    (I did tweak the two imp-killing bonus levels to play completely different though, be sure to try those)

I am a bit puzzled though about your comment on Elf's Dance and Buffy Oak,... it sounds like you are somehow playing the original campaign again. I ran into a bug before that my game continued from a campaign back to levels from the original campaign, perhaps this affected you too. On NG+ this would be very difficult to notice. On Elf's dance on the original campaign you could just claim the transfer special, in NG+ it is across from lava and when you kill heroes your bridge disappears so you can no longer get it. Did you have to cross lava to get the special on this map? If not, you're now playing the original campaign somehow.
    Last edited by YourMaster; November 2nd, 2015 at 23:36. Reason: grammar

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ecarus333

No, i didnt. That explains why i got the tutorial message when i first researched the chicken spell
    Well you advertise this campaign as "Original campaign for experienced players with increased difficulty" so i thought it was to be harder.
    I tried the imp slapping secret, that is the harder lvl of the campaign hahahaha But for some reason the game crashed to me on this map like 2 times

That's the opposite of what I tried to communicate. I tried to say that yes there's a slight increase in difficulty, but still below deeper dungeons, so not hard, and that the changes I made were not to increase the difficulty. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And the level isn't supposed to crash and didn't used to. Which version of the game are you playing it with, then I'll also give it a shot and see if it crashes for me.

Edit: I reported the bug here. Doesn't seem to be confined to just the NG+ campaign.
    Last edited by YourMaster; November 3rd, 2015 at 16:01.