Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to fun DK1 maps

Default Re: Guide to fun DK1 maps

"I really don't understand what you're trying to tell me, sorry." - I like the other kind of map, less exploring, or exploring in other method

"The first person segment is really brief, just to get rid of the 4 heroes in the starting base. I don't know what you mean with 'edit out',.. if you mean by using the editor, then yes the level is easier if you use the level editor first. But I'm happy to hear how you feel after you've played it." - No, it is a phrase from Max Payne 2: "...edit it out"

Also, map is brief yes

"I am however, also very interested not in simply if you like the map or not, but also your opinion of the DK1 map design principles I mention. Would you like to see that come back in more DK1 maps, or not, and if so, which ones?" - Design of the map feels like you have done it no matter what. Feels, dull, tough the final battles were on good, fresh thing.

"What is it that strikes you as different in the map I posted, and is that because of one of the principles I listed, and if yes, does that mean for you that principle is invalid?" - Yes, too much scripted thing, it eats out the original style of playing.

EDIT: Try to compare this one to my map/maps. They are completely different and design of my maps are pretty noobish, though I tell you the maps what I haven't released are better in big time.

Digging, Building, Defending, Attacking, and no possession spell unless specifically used in certain circumstances. Also slapping is disabled, as well as speed monster spell and so on.

Like playing as Neanderthal

I finished the map, failed at first time with Warlock being too long on lava, second time I was way out unprepared, third time same thing, but after I found it out you can do things easier, you win.

I recommend to select Warlock for better start. Of course the gamestyle affects there
    Last edited by UnknownMaster21; December 11th, 2014 at 04:55.

Spider

I'm enjoying this, but I entered the yellow dungeon too soon, and my savegame is too far, so I'll have to start again. No problem, as it's fun. Clever that the hand doesn't work,

some script errors shown:

Error: command_quick_objective(line 238): Invalid QUICK OBJECTIVE number (99)
    Warning: command_add_to_party(line 353): Party 'CLEANUP' member added inside conditional statement
    Warning: command_add_to_party(line 357): Party 'CLEANUP' member added inside conditional statement

dayokay

Thanks for letting me know,... the first is a silly mistake, I changed it into a valid number and reuploaded. It is the objective shown when you lose straight away.
    I believe the warnings are just that, warnings, and not actually problematic. It is an unconventional structure.

You did notice that the hand starts working again after the brief first-person segment right?

How do you feel about having such a limited creature pool?

Spider

so does it work when additional members are added to parties within an IF statement then?

I did notice that the hand returns after the 'first phase'. However, I only realised on re-starting that one can choose a warlock or a vampire. The first time, I simply filled in the library without thinking. Maybe modify the script so the opening text makes clear that you're going to make a choice? I didn't do too well with the vampire. I was losing the battle so I jumped to the heart to save myself. Seconds later he became angry as he used the scavenger room. I couldn't make him research so as to give him a lair and hatchery. He then vanished from the dungeon and I was defeated. I started again with warlock, and have gotten much further, though I am losing precious creatures in the battles each time! The limited pool is fine, and it's possible to keep afloat financially if carefully managed. I am wary of the timer, but as it's so long I can't judge if I'm going fast enough. Maybe an idea to put some check scripts in to advise the keeper if he is going too slowly? It's a long level, and it is possible that I have already lost by having impossible tasks ahead of me given the time remaining. To be very close and fail would require a complete re-start which I'm not sure I could stomach if I've seen the whole level?

I'm going out now, so I'll finish it tomorrow.

dayokay

PS I 'found' a word-of-power trap, and it was hauled off to my workshop, but it never became available on the GUI?

Yes, adding party members with an if-statement works.

Personally I much prefer the vampire. The Warlock has heal at the low level and is easier to manage and cheaper, but the vampire is the much more powerful creature of course. There are two ways you can keep your vampire happy long enough to keep him until you have a lair for him, but I won't spoil it. Hint: When he's hurt, he wants to sleep.
    As for the timer, you have 83 minutes, but I did it in about an hour. Since I know the map, I gave the players a bit more time. When you go too slow, you'll run out of gold so you'll be forced to hurry up, and I have included a message to nudge the player along if he takes too long to take over the hero fort.
    But yes, you will always face the final battle, and it is possible to lose if you're not powerful enough. UM21 did seem to win though.

As for the word-of-power trap, that's not my mistake. In the latest nighties mefistotelis is working on claiming traps, and the latest attempts didn't go too well, so claiming traps has issues. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed soon.
    Last edited by YourMaster; December 13th, 2014 at 21:15.

Goes absolutely easier if you manage to keep Dark Mistress on "fast" positioned, like getting super rapid.

I tried to play with Vampire and man, I got something extraordinary glitches/bugs. A way different playthrough this time, I failed it on very close one. Something similar about what dayokay experienced, except the game crashed. Luckily I saved game before that and I waited some time before entering.

The start of the level is like having pain in a ass when playing vampire, I think it is the matter of taste.

Ok, can't resist to comment on the vampire.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Yes, adding party members with an if-statement works.
    Um, it works - but works as if the statement was without conditions.
    Currently changing the party definition during the game is unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    Um, it works - but works as if the statement was without conditions.
    Currently changing the party definition during the game is unsupported.
    O, good to know,... I tested it and saw the creatures added to the party. Failed to consider the fail condition.
    Updated the map around it.
    Last edited by YourMaster; December 13th, 2014 at 23:55.

Hello! I am new here. I am a experienced DK1 and DK2 player and I would like to try your map.... but I have no clue how to do this. I have checked the forums for a sort of tutorial but I can't find it. So how do I install the map so I can play it?