Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Guide to fun DK1 maps

Default Re: Guide to fun DK1 maps

Hello. It is quite easy really.

Be sure to have installed KeeperFX 0.4.6 or newer.
    Download the map, and extract the file into the KeeperFX\Levels directory. Now open the game, select 'Free Play levels' and then click on the level to play.

And here is the tutorial: https://code.google.com/p/keeperfx/w...yingCustomMaps
    Last edited by YourMaster; October 1st, 2015 at 18:04.

Ghost

As a more turtling player I have some trouble with this map. :P

But I get further each time!

And how many times is that?

Ghost

5 times or so?

I've beaten it now.

Personally, I think that the Knights should come after you've claimed all the hero establishments.

I won the map before I claimed the "fortress" to the right and got the speed spell.

Then perhaps I can boost the final party a bit more,... I had it stronger at first, as such I could only beat it with just one or two creatures alive at the end of the battle, but was afraid that as I know what to expect on my own map other people would find it too difficult.

But, besides the map itself, did you notice the principles I mentioned, and what's your opinion on those?

Ghost

Then perhaps I can boost the final party a bit more,... I had it stronger at first, as such I could only beat it with just one or two creatures alive at the end of the battle, but was afraid that as I know what to expect on my own map other people would find it too difficult.
    The problem I have with 99.9% of the maps is that, ones you've won it, you know what to do. There is no randomness. So you can change it to be more difficult but ones you're figured out how to beat it, it's "easy" again. It took me a couple of tries to figure out what to do, so I guess the difficulty level is fine (I would rate it as Very Hard, especially winning the first try)

But, besides the map itself, did you notice the principles I mentioned, and what's your opinion on those?
    I noticed I had to be on guard every second of the game, I like that and I don't like that at the same time, cause it gets tiresome after a while. I surely wouldn't want a 20 map campaign this way lol. In my opinion(!) there should be some pauses where you can clean up the mess and get yourself back in the saddle.

But as I said, I'm more of a turtling player, who likes to be safe and charge a door ones I feel it's time to do that.

It surely is more fun and challenging than the Original Campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Krizzie View Post
    The problem I have with 99.9% of the maps is that, ones you've won it, you know what to do. There is no randomness. So you can change it to be more difficult but ones you're figured out how to beat it, it's "easy" again. It took me a couple of tries to figure out what to do, so I guess the difficulty level is fine (I would rate it as Very Hard, especially winning the first try)

I noticed I had to be on guard every second of the game, I like that and I don't like that at the same time, cause it gets tiresome after a while. I surely wouldn't want a 20 map campaign this way lol. In my opinion(!) there should be some pauses where you can clean up the mess and get yourself back in the saddle.

But as I said, I'm more of a turtling player, who likes to be safe and charge a door ones I feel it's time to do that.

It surely is more fun and challenging than the Original Campaign.
    Glad you enjoyed it. This map had the timer as a gimmick of course, which causes a play-style of having to go full speed ahead the entire level, with no time to relax or build. This doesn't leave you with a lot of time to build and/or train. I think this is also where UM21 is coming from in not liking the style.

I much prefer playing maps over making maps - my main goal with this topic and map was to inspire people to make the kind of maps I like to play - but perhaps in a few months I make another map following the above principles, with some more room for the player to build.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. This map had the timer as a gimmick of course, which causes a play-style of having to go full speed ahead the entire level, with no time to relax or build. This doesn't leave you with a lot of time to build and/or train. I think this is also where UM21 is coming from in not liking the style.

I much prefer playing maps over making maps - my main goal with this topic and map was to inspire people to make the kind of maps I like to play - but perhaps in a few months I make another map following the above principles, with some more room for the player to build.
    True!

I like the maps where you are able to get extra time, and be relaxed to think about attack point, but with nasty surprises, like just when getting sleepy by bored, you are getting toasted!

Ghost

I think mapmaking would make a rise if the editor were to be included in DKFX (Working out of the Box)

Scripting isn't the easiest thing to do either, especially if you want parties and such on the map. Somesort of editor for that would be lowering the bar a whole lot I think.

I used to make maps back in the day when I was a kid, but the scripting was always crappy and not much was happening. Now I just don't feel like going through all the troubles of getting the Editor to work. :$

Sure, people having the official editor to be a bit easier to get up and running or addikted to be a bit more inviting to use some more people could be drawn over the line to make some maps. That said, of the very few people still active here most of them seem to be able to make some maps - it is not difficult to get the editor to run, and with the scripting guide there is little to go wrong there.

A bigger problem I think is that there are still several hundred user maps, but very little stand out. People have trouble making their maps fun - often just resorting to just adding bigger and stronger hero armies because the regular game is too simple. In turn this causes that the development time of a map/campaign is often longer then the total playtime of all people who play the map put together. And when people don't like the custom maps they play, they are less likely to download a new custom map, and start playing the game less and less.

I think we find out what people really like to play, have some good examples of community maps everybody think are great, so that people can use those maps to get inspired, use as an example, and make some good maps of their own.