Thread: DK1 Recording

Default DK1 Recording

yo guys, I use the original dk1 version (not keeperfx as it changes gameplay from what I gather), and I was wondering whats the best way to record gameplay in high resolution? I don't want to record it with fraps and low res again lol, looks so bad. Ty.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Skarok

Default Re: DK1 Recording

Try out Bandicam, it's much better than Fraps and way less performance heavy.
    There is absoluetly nothing wrong with DK Mobile, whatsoever.

I did, it didn't capture anything in directx mode and in screen capture mode it recorded the edge of the screen with corrupted colors after i pressed record and alt tabbed back into dungeon keeper.

have you personally got it to work?

Oh and, in case I give up on this and just use KeeperFX, what's the best way to record that? Can fraps record it in high res?
    Last edited by 12114_v2; December 11th, 2014 at 23:20.

For KeeperFX there is an ingame command to capture video. And if you don't like the changes of KeeperFX, I just uploaded a patch with which you can revert all the gameplay changes.

Well the questionable ones anyway. There are still differences, rival keepers now train their minions, your workshop won't get filled up with crates you cannot place, level 10 creatures are no longer broken. Those are valuable bugfixes though, and even most of them you can get back by enabling classic-bug mode(also included in the patch, off by default).

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    For KeeperFX there is an ingame command to capture video. And if you don't like the changes of KeeperFX, I just uploaded a patch with which you can revert all the gameplay changes.

Well the questionable ones anyway. There are still differences, rival keepers now train their minions, your workshop won't get filled up with crates you cannot place, level 10 creatures are no longer broken. Those are valuable bugfixes though, and even most of them you can get back by enabling classic-bug mode(also included in the patch, off by default).
    it's not a matter of not liking it (I haven't even tried it yet), its for speedrun reasons (the game was completed on original dk so I have to play original dk), in other words for standardization and compatibility purposes (i.e making sure the game matches for everyone and everyone is playing the same thing). But now I'm thinking since a speedrun with crappy 240p quality already exists, maybe i'll do a keeperfx speedrun in high res instead.

I'm also planning to remake the original dk campaign for original dk and making it 100 times harder (a project i stopped in 2010 lol), a glimpse of which you can see here (only level 9 is done so far): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ApAfynD_zY

I'll probably use the original maps and edit them to make the process a lot faster, instead of creating everything from scratch. Again, I don't know if this would make sense in keeperfx, a game that is always changing.

Ok, with classic bug mode you could get close enough to get a very similar experience to vanilla DK, but you are right, it won't count as the same for a speed-run.

Using the original maps to remake the original campaign is perfectly possible. Many people have done so, I did so too very recently. Doing this in KeeperFX makes sense to me, as I think it has a much larger player base by now then the original game, and the game isn't changing that much. KeeperFX isn't just inspired on DK, it is a remake, with some minor tweaks and fixes, it still plays basically the same as the original game.

A map you make now, you could probably still play the same 3 years from now.

Edit: O, I just remember one mayor change to KeeperFX which would make comparing a speedrun with vanilla impossible. In KeeperFX the rival keepers will notice if you attack their hart and defend it. In the original game most levels you could beat by possessing a strong creature and sniping the heart straight away, so those times would be much, much better then you could do in KeeperFX.
    Last edited by YourMaster; December 12th, 2014 at 00:05.

aight, I'm just gonna switch over to keeperFX for everything, tired of original game's problems. Btw you should play my campaign when and if I finish it bro. its gonna be nearly impossible

I'm not sure I'm looking for something 'nearly impossible'.

Have fun though.

one more (last hopefully) question. I installed the complete keeperfx version. Do i need the so-called patch? and what does it do?

or is it just an updater that compares your version to the latest?

as for recording, it says it will have no sound and be in .flc format? do i have to convert to .avi if i want to play it in vlc? and what about sound?
    Last edited by 12114_v2; December 12th, 2014 at 02:16.

That's more then one question.

I'm not sure which patch you're talking about,.... I do recommend updating to the latest nightly build, as the latest complete version is already from quite some time ago, and the latest nightly includes quite a few useful fixes.

If you're talking about the patch I just mentioned and released yesterday, you don't need that. A few years ago a user here set out to rebalance the game and made some changes to creatures. During testing quite a few of these changes proved to not make sense, which he wanted to fix, but never got around to it. Small example: He gave the Hell_hound a fireball spell, which causes him to draw agro sooner, and die much faster. He gave the vampire hailstorm, which seemed to make sense on a ranged creature, but as the vampire functions as a tank it made him completely overpowered in some rare cases, but in most cases causes him to die much quicker because most ranged-heroes have the reflect spell that bounce the hailstorm back.
    What I did was revert all his changes, so the creatures are like bullfrog released them.

I have no experience with recording my games. If there is no sound and you want sound, you could try fraps or bandicam. If they don't work on the original, that doesn't mean they won't work for KeeperFX.
    Last edited by YourMaster; December 13th, 2014 at 10:53.