Thread: Issue - Fleeing Heroes

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Issue - Fleeing Heroes

Started playing FX again, I began by trying out YourMaster's Death Clock map with the DragonSlayer patch to revert most of DragonsLover's patch.

One of the first few things I noticed, outside of the tiny health flower issue, is the fact that Heroes seem to flee quite a lot. When Heroes get to low health, they flee to either a Hero Gate or their spawning point. They will continue to flee if further engaged unless they are engaged within a certain radius around said Hero Gate / spawning point.

A little bit further in the map, I encountered two Lv7 Archers who would flee from almost any encounter, even a Lv5 Warlock one-on-one (if they're both there, they'll fight said Warlock). Half the time, they seemed to flee from my Imps trying to claim the area even. I had 1 Lv3+ Imp, which might have been why only some of the time the Archers got scared. It took a while but I eventually managed to confront them at their spawning point so that I could kill them.

I spoke with YourMaster briefly afterwards. He told me that Heroes shouldn't be fleeing and that the changes in the DragonSlayer patch merely revert the fear algorithm changes.

Regardless, Heroes should not be fleeing in this fashion. It makes Heroes not only easier but more annoying and time consuming to kill. It took me somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes to kill 2 Lv7 Archers because they would not stand still and it was difficult to keep claiming land with Imps. The Archers would normally pose a threat, but seeing as they don't even attack, well it's just boring and annoying to chase after them. The same goes for injured Heroes.

Here is my log, it's the same as the thread I just posted. [Link]

I should be on the latest version of FX and Nightly build.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Default Re: Issue - Fleeing Heroes

I just thought of something: On this map I used guard posts,... this causes heroes to stand guard, follow you for a while but if ventured too far return to the guard post.

Is this perhaps the behavior you are seeing?

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I just thought of something: On this map I used guard posts,... this causes heroes to stand guard, follow you for a while but if ventured too far return to the guard post.

Is this perhaps the behavior you are seeing?
    They don't seem to be capable of venturing that far out though. Even then, it's still a problem because they're heading towards my heart to attack me and will keep traveling until a battle encounter, in which case they will flee. It's pretty funky.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Ghost

Unless something has changed, Heroes will not return to guardpost duty ones they have come of the post.

The fleeing of heroes is something that I have seen on other maps as well, but not always. The most annoying thing I have seen is thieves (with speed and invis) or dwarves getting into the hero gate and pop out a few seconds later, run to the heart and retreat again at the first glance of enemies (including imps) Keeping a CTA spel on the gate doesn't always work cause they pop back in faster then the creature can attack..

outside of the tiny health flower issue
    Somewhat nice to see that you also experience this. It's not present in 0.4.5, but when I started using nightly's it went bad.

I've reported the issue on the tracker. Heroes do return to guardpost duty, they just suck at it a.t.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    Started playing FX again, I began by trying out YourMaster's Death Clock map with the DragonSlayer patch to revert most of DragonsLover's patch.

One of the first few things I noticed, outside of the tiny health flower issue, is the fact that Heroes seem to flee quite a lot. When Heroes get to low health, they flee to either a Hero Gate or their spawning point. They will continue to flee if further engaged unless they are engaged within a certain radius around said Hero Gate / spawning point.
    Since KeeperFX 0.4.5.1646 heroes don't have issues with fleeing anymore. Not in regular fights when they run out of health, and they now properly stand guard when put on a guard post as well.