Thread: Weaponry

Default Weaponry

I had this idea when I suddenly remembered my "Iron digging" suggestion.

How about all creatures having different weapons assigned to them, rather than having one weapon texture?

For example: a goblin has 3 possible weapon choices, a club, a sabre and a mace. When a goblin would come through a portal, one of three weapons would be randomly assigned to him. They all would have very slight difference in stats.

I think it is not very difficult to implement. At the same time, it would randomize your army a little bit.

At the same time, relating to the in-game updates, you would be able to further upgrade your minions' weapons.

Now, I know, the line between a good game and a Sims sim is very narrow. But think about it for a sec. It would give a totally new look for a game, with never ending variety and replayability.

For example you have an army of black knights. you coud have 2 possible upgrades for them: one-handed longsword and a shield, or a two-handed sword/two handed axe. One type would be the offensive creature (remember, BK is presented as "blocker" while poor game balance of dk2 fails to implement it fully). The second type would turn into a blitzer.

Or imagine a Bile Demon, on one hand you could give him a door-large shield, making him practically an impenetrable wall, on the other - add something like some crazy spiked balls or blades attached to horns, turning him into a land mower of death.

I really like Evi's mounting idea. But I think it will be too much for our small dev's team to implement all those. However this would be perfect, having an anti-mount weapons, like pikes, helberds, lances and other pole-arms.

Imagine, a goblin, a weak and fragile, cowardly creature, that in hordes, wielding a pole-arm, fights against enemy's cavalry. This brings goblins back to game! I will repeat my self. My greatest desire is to make all DK universe creatures somewhat useful. not having 2 uber classes and thats all.

So what do you think, lazy ones?
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Default Re: Weaponry

I think it is an interesting idea, though I think it would be a little tricky to grab the one with the desired weapon if the menu is going to be anything like DK1s.

No, I guess you would simply choose the amount of creatures you want to assign one weapon or another and then a program would pick some creatures randomly and they would go and change the weapon.

Or each creature would have an interface. on the creature interface you would have icons, showing how may creatures have particular weapons. you would then click these icons to assign.

This is not difficult really, I remember something similar in one game, cant remember in which.

somewhere fun (i tell a lie it's actually quite boring, oh I wish I lived in liechstenstein)

hmm, If done intelligently this could be a very good feature but as you say it is quite easy to turn the game into The Sims which it is not. I think that would be a bit of a pain having to look at what creatures had what weapons. Also if you wanted to incorperate it into the menu system then it would need for the interface to be mega complicated(for DK). You could have the bonus apply to all all creatures in a species but that kind of negates the point. I generally dislike the idea of changing it so that each creature of a species is different.

is it overcomplicated?

PS ignore the "one", just a typo.

for example, you would have a standard vie, like in dk/dk2, icons of your creatures put together. When you need an army, you pick from those.
    In the bottom of each portrait would be a small button, which would call up the menu I showed above. From it you can peacefully assign weapons and see who carries what.

it doesnt disturb u when fighting. It is convenient and rather simple.
    Last edited by Hapuga; November 19th, 2009 at 23:53.

But think some creatures have different varieties like the troll-warhamer, work-only, and a cross. Or bile demon has different um... *balls*

Good point Natcho!

Imagine, havin' a troll-worker and a troll-fighter. Same could be applied to bile demons.

Consider this for a better understanding of a menu with choices (sorry, a bit sloppy):

Each square is clickable. As such, you do see your full army AND you see them diversified in groups. You can easily choose what type of creatures do you need for any activity.

This is only an example. There could be the "total" 20 number on the top. Icons can be put on the bottom, instead of putting them across the image. By playing with this we can come up with a simple, yet very useful design.
    Last edited by Hapuga; November 20th, 2009 at 13:12.

although i will like a dual sword troll ,i think its too much,we allready have different races of creature,have diffences creature in the difference races its too much complicated,and it will not really add too much fun in the game as complication.

in dk if you want more warrior creature you contruc a training room,if you want more magic creatures you construc a library and if you want more trolls you construc a workshop

ohhhhhhhh dual sword troll riding a bile demon ,sorry i was dreaming jajajajja

now going back to what i was saying,different weapons for the creatures is too much job for modellers and coders ,and the feacture will only be fun at beginning and then will get bored pretty fast because will overcomplicate things

Not exactly- In fact it could make stuff more interesting=

Defensive<Attackive

Attackive<fast weak

Fast weak<Defernsive

I think my idea is stupid but what do you guys think?

not exactly understood what you mean.

My idea was:

Separate the creatures by work. Defensive, offensive and workers. all three classes will have proper weapons/equipment. Not all classes will have all three classes available. Most combat creatures will have only the D/O availability.