Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Resolution problems?

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: 0hcYsp

Thumbs up Re: Resolution problems?

Hmm.. Should be possible for me.. i will try it!
    but first..
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    Then, you'd have to place GDB files into KeeperFX folder, and run KeeperFX through GDB, ie:
    Code:
    gdb --args keeperfx_hvlog -nointro -alex -nocd
    How should i start KFX through GDB?
    putting your command line into keeperFX doesn't work cause it doesn't find "gdb".
    putting the full bin name in doesn't work either.

hmm.. i will play a little bit with the cmd window and google.. don't know if its the right way..

EDIT:
    Alright, cmd window was a stupid idea.. cause keeperFX uses the same way. stupid me. ^^
    now i don't know some other ways to get the debugger started...

EDIT²:
    Okay.. i can't tell you how stupid i am.. unziped.. "oh, there is an .exe!".......
    Now it should work... Sorry for my shitty knowledge..

I use the debugger with the settings, made by your command line.
    No Force Driver, Fullscreen etc..

EDIT³:
    Okay.. Oo
    Command Line - Check
    Click on Start game - Check

cmd window shows for a milisecond and nothing happend.
    gdb.exe got admin rights. same issue without them.
    same issue on window mode.
    same issue with/without force driver, nointro, alex, nocd, hvlog.

EDIT4:
    Okay, played over an hour with Force driver windib, full screen and in-game res 1366x768x32...
    Works fine. i keep an eye on it and post again, if there are incoming issues.

hvlog:

Spoiler

uhm btw, i get in Theme Hospital the same issue like in my first post.
    Only with ctrl enter i can play the game. otherwise i get the same bug from the screenshot...
    But my girlfriend can play it in fullscreen on her Laptop. Just random freezes wich can be disabled by switching to windowed and back.

EDIT:
    Okay, Theme Hospital works on fullscreen again after editing the dosbox.conf
    fulldouble=true and it works fine.
    Only problem is the resolution. fullscreen and windowresolution set on 1366x768x32 and its bigger on window mode than on fullscreen.. oO
    but hey, it works on fullscreen!..

EDIT²:
    Okay, now it works perfect for me.
    setting output=overlay kills the resolution problem..
    lets see if i can use this for DK..

And here my system specs.. don't know if it help

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    ASUS m4n68t-m-le-v2
    Amd Phenom II X4 955
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    Gainward GTX 560ti OC

All drivers are up-to-date

oh.. and.. Thank you for the great support!
    Didn't expect this for an oldie like DK! Keep the good work!
    Last edited by ExAiL; January 30th, 2015 at 15:58.

Default Re: Resolution problems?

Are you trying to run KeeperFX from dosbox? If so, you don't need to, KeeperFX runs fine natively in Windows 7, no need for dosbox nor compatibility mode.

Mefisto doesn't want the keeperfx log when you run the debugger, but the debugging log.
    What you do is open a command prompt, in cmd navigate to the keeperfx folder, and run the debugger. The debugger opens KeeperFX, you'll play keeperfx until it crashes, and then with the 'bt' command get information from the debugger where KeeperFX crashed.

Are all your other games playing normally?

Gamer IDs

Ah yeah, i know.. i dont use Dosbox for keeperfx^^ sorry for the complicate text..

okay, the way with the cmd window was my first try^^ but i din'd unzip the debugger.. stupid me. i try it again now and use the normal settings.
    Only problem i see: the game will not crash if i don't use windib. The main problem was, that the game displayed totaly wrong like on my screenshot.

yeah, all other games work perfect.

EDIT:
    If i start gdb with cmd - "Programm cannot start cause zlib1.dll is missing. Re-Install the Programm to solve the issue"
    downloaded the DLL. gdb starts.. Alright lets see...
    Last edited by ExAiL; January 30th, 2015 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by ExAiL View Post
    Ah yeah, i know.. i dont use Dosbox for keeperfx^^ sorry for the complicate text..

okay, the way with the cmd window was my first try^^ but i din'd unzip the debugger.. stupid me. i try it again now and use the normal settings.
    Only problem i see: the game will not crash if i don't use windib. The main problem was, that the game displayed totaly wrong like on my screenshot.

yeah, all other games work perfect.

EDIT:
    If i start gdb with cmd - "Programm cannot start cause zlib1.dll is missing. Re-Install the Programm to solve the issue"
    downloaded the DLL. gdb starts.. Alright lets see...
    OK, full steps on debugging:

1: Download the debugger. Here is a link.. This should not give you the same error you had.

2: Place the 'gdb.exe' in your KeeperFX folder. I assume this is D:\Games\KeeperFX, so where I have that, you change it to where you have your game actually installed.

3: In Windows, go find your KeeperFX folder. Hold the Shift key, right click the folder and select 'open command window here'. You should now have a black screen open that says 'D:\Games\KeeperFX>'

4: In the command prompt, type or paste 'gdb --args keeperfx_hvlog -nointro -vidriver windib'
    You should now see GNU text, with on the last line <gdb>

5: Type 'run'. KeeperFX will now start, you can play it.

6. When it crashes, in the same window as before type 'bt'

7. Paste the text here that you get back.

Gamer IDs

okay, game runs since ~2 hours perfect...
    no crashes, no errors.

That says me, i just need to play on windib and everything is good.
    but i don't get why it doesn't freeze this time after an hour..
    Last edited by ExAiL; January 30th, 2015 at 18:53.

OK, that still leaves your original problem, on why you need to run with windib.

When you go to start-run and type dxdiag, do you get any errors? What version of directx do you have?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    OK, that still leaves your original problem, on why you need to run with windib.

When you go to start-run and type dxdiag, do you get any errors? What version of directx do you have?
    No Errors.
    DirectX-Version: DirectX 11
    DxDiag 6.01.7601.17514 32bit/64bit

http://pastebin.de/17854

EDIT:
    Interesting.. I got a Deeper Dungeons Savegame.. If i play it without gdb, it freezed 2 times.. with gdb, it doesn't freeze. just some small lags..
    Last edited by ExAiL; January 30th, 2015 at 21:06.

Don't you just love issues like that.
    Do you do anything else differently, apart from the debugger? Like use the heavylog compared to the regular version or any other command line options?
    If you have the savegame could you share and tell me at which point it freezes, I'll try to see if it happens to me as well. Also, you could post the log for the freeze as that seems like a different issue.

You said earlier using windowed mode also didn't work if you used a bigger resolution. What happened? Perhaps that is worth debugging,....

Also, you said you played KeeperFX without problems before, now came back to it months later and you have issues,.... as you did not change KeeperFX in the meantime, what else changed? New drivers, new hardware? New computer monitor with a different resolution?

Gamer IDs

Yeah, love it like two broken legs..^^
    i will now uncheck Force driver and list all possible options if they work or not..

The problem is, the debugger can't help us because the game doesn't crash without Force driver(fullscreen). The game is RUNNING.
    But i can't play because it looks like a bunch of color stripes in the left upper corner.. like the screenshot i postet some posts ago.

If i run keeperFX in window mode (without force driver) it works nice. But i have to set the resolutions on 32bit.
    Okay, done with all resolutions (menu, Movies, Failure, In-game 1366x768x32)
    But it keeps small like 320x200.
    Tried 280x1024x32 1024x768x32 1366x768x32...

No problems before, month later these issues:
    Uff.. okay.. well...
    There was so many new GPU Drivers.. Nvidia releases them like every half month..
    the only difference was, as i run keeperFX, i've got no internet. i downloaded keeperFX with my smartphone via wifi at my friends home.
    And i didn't had the newest GPU driver.. "Nvidia Geforce Experience"
    Last edited by ExAiL; January 31st, 2015 at 01:00.

Try 640x480w32 instead of 640x480w8.
    And try 1280x1024w32 while you're at it.

But it remains strange that you can't just play it regularly. Do you have any other applications running that can have something to do with video output, like something to clone your desktop or a media player or whatever?

The GPU Driver could cause this of course,... you could try a rollback and see if that fixes it. Or see if there is a newer update.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Edit:

You've updated your post. Also strange that in windows mode you can't change the size. If I put it like this:
    Code:
    ; Three frontend resolutions: failsafe, movies and menu resolution.
    FRONTEND_RES=640x480w32 640x480w32 640x480w32
    ; Original DK resolutions were FRONTEND_RES=320x200x8 320x200x8 640x480x8
    ; List of in-game resolutions. ALT+R will switch between them.
    INGAME_RES=640x480w32 1280x1024w32
    I get a window of 640x480, and when I Press Alt+R it changes size to 1280x1024, so that works perfectly.

Still, if windowed mode works and full screen mode doesn't, perhaps KFX has issues with your big widescreen monitors. You could try reduce your screen resolution or hook up an old 4:3 monitor instead and see if KFX will then run without issues.
    Last edited by YourMaster; January 31st, 2015 at 01:12.