Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spell Count

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Default Spell Count

How many spells do we want for WftO? 4 Spells or 10 spells (Melee included) or perhaps more than 10. ( whoever reaches max better be Wizard)

With the 4 spells, keys like 5 and 6 will be for First Person abilities, and 7 for grouping.

For 10 spells we can arrange something. Maybe "-" and "=" for first person abilities and "Backspace for grouping. "`" could be used for an 11th spell, but it may look weird if we don't have a 12th which I don't know what key to use.

Your thoughts on what set of spells we should use, and thier controls?
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Default Re: Spell Count

i dont like the idea of a creature having 10 spells becuase thats too much.i will like all creatures to have something special and to be the more uniq posible.if you make every creature have 10 powers,no mather what ,it will be imposible to not have a lot of clones powers

i will like a dungeon keeper where every creature has different skills ,where the low class creatures as goblin ( yes i dont use trolls as example this time,its a miracle ) if they reach level 10 they can be still usefull because they gain some special skill (maeby a bonus at damage for every other goblin who is fighting at his side)

so i dont want too much powers for all creatures,i think most creatures should get attack ,plus 2 or 3 powers and maeby one special skill or racial skill(like trolls can desactivate traps ,or dark elf can go sniper mode,dragons go trought fire ,well that one is from lvl 1 but maeby they could get at level 10 resistan to fire attacks)

in conclusion:too much powers will inevitable create clones and some creatures will be superior to others in every aspect making the other creature useless,and i dont want that for dk,i will like every creature be usefull so every keeper can make different armys and not allways use the same strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Gear Rex View Post
    With the 4 spells, keys like 5 and 6 will be for First Person abilities, and 7 for grouping.

For 10 spells we can arrange something. Maybe "-" and "=" for first person abilities and "Backspace for grouping. "`" could be used for an 11th spell, but it may look weird if we don't have a 12th which I don't know what key to use.
    Never played a MMO, eh? =D

You'll get ur fingers broken with such controls. The best way to make it is to make them user-friendly, assigning a key everywhere a player wants.

I think that 5-6 spells is more than enough.

Remember, it is the diversity, not the amount. Come up with 6 different spells for each creature and then its fine.
    Quality always > quantity.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Quote Originally Posted by reybag View Post
    i dont like the idea of a creature having 10 spells becuase thats too much.i will like all creatures to have something special and to be the more uniq posible.if you make every creature have 10 powers,no mather what ,it will be imposible to not have a lot of clones powers

i will like a dungeon keeper where every creature has different skills ,where the low class creatures as goblin ( yes i dont use trolls as example this time,its a miracle ) if they reach level 10 they can be still usefull because they gain some special skill (maeby a bonus at damage for every other goblin who is fighting at his side)

so i dont want too much powers for all creatures,i think most creatures should get attack ,plus 2 or 3 powers and maeby one special skill or racial skill(like trolls can desactivate traps ,or dark elf can go sniper mode,dragons go trought fire ,well that one is from lvl 1 but maeby they could get at level 10 resistan to fire attacks)

in conclusion:too much powers will inevitable create clones and some creatures will be superior to others in every aspect making the other creature useless,and i dont want that for dk,i will like every creature be useful so every keeper can make different armys and not allways use the same strategy
    You, my friend, are not looking in depth. 5-6 spells are excellent for a "possession" mode. I would LOVE to have a powerful engine that would support 8-10 (12 ideally) players in one game, each having 5-6 spells... "salivating" Yeaaah!

You know what it means? it means having 2 games in 1. Or 3. Or infinity.

Look at warcraft 3. You know what is the great thing about it? It has different opportunities. No, you maybe won't use all 6-7 spell slots at the same time ingame. But when you'll WANT to use them, and won't have the opportunity to do it, you'll regret your words, trust me
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6659/c2warlocki.gif

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: dotted

Well we designing the engine to basicly cope with an "infinite" amount of spells for a creature so the controls needs to reflect that.

warcraft 3, heroes have 4 skills to use as max and 6 to select from but cant use them all,there others normal creatures has generally less powers
    so its only 4 skills for characters as max,the reason is that if you have 10 skill you will be constant spamming which will be bored,really bored
    and if you want different spells well make an army with different creatures,thats the spirit of dungeon keeper,make your army attracting the creatures you want for it

Hellhound

Bump for important topic.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: beringline

We shouldn't really decide what exact number of spells there should be used, but looking at WHAT spells should be used.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbaby View Post
    We shouldn't really decide what exact number of spells there should be used, but looking at WHAT spells should be used.
    Well I was really curious of what the max spells a creature could have, considering DK2 dropped down from 10 to 4, including melee.

I also think the number pad should be used, it was ignored in both DK games (At least in my experiance) but it shouldn't be a must for those who use the cursed laptop keyboards.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: beringline

Now it's not like the entire game is finished, by controlling creatures only.

But I think, we should just figure out an average number of abilities, and balance it, based on what abilities we find suitable for our creatures. Ex, we've found 12 abilities for the warlock, which we like, we've found 8 for the dragon, and we've found 9 for the Vampire, and so on. Then we can for example cut it down being 10 abilities, and figure out, what spells should be removed from the warlock. And that will first happen, when we actually got a game, and need to balance the dmg, abilities and so on, so no creature will end up being overpowered. Perhaps it is a very complicated way of doing it. But afterall, this is something which later on easily can be adjusted, once we have the spells and abilities programmed.