Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thug of War | The Death Clock

Default Thug of War | The Death Clock

Thug of War.
    The heroes have a massive fortress filled with magic. Eventually they will find you and send in countless waves of their finest warriors.
    Can you push the attackers back into the well defended fortress to steal vital plans and stop their relentless onslaught,
    or will they crush you before you manage to raise an army of your own?

Since KeeperFX r1610 it is possible to detect the number of heroes in your army, so I've made new map to show how this feature can be used to spice up the levels. Download it here.
    In this topic I argued that reducing the effectiveness of prisons would be good, so now that this is kinda possible, that is what I did.

This map:
    • Turns imprisonment off when you have too many skeletons.
    • Turns imprisonment off when you have a few heroes in your army.
    • Ignores the heroes in reaching the portal limit.
    • Has randomized timers, so each replay is different (for Krizzy).
    • Has super-powered dragons(if you get them).

I've followed many of the principles I listed in this topic but made a far more traditional map. You will be attacked by hero parties, that will stop coming when you claim more of their fortress. However, the fortress itself is protected by even more heroes.
    Even though there are no cheap deaths, not all of you will survive your fist attempt.

Note the image of the level has been censored to not spoil the level, do not use it as a map.

Feedback welcome of course, I'm sure I made some mistakes. And I'd like to know if you enjoyed it and why (not).

EDIT: RANDOM Command has been renamed to DRAWFROM, map has been updated to match. Map now requires version 0.4.5.1624 or newer to play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map02015.jpg 
Views:	1640 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1574  
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 6th, 2015 at 10:45.

Default Re: Thug of War | The Death Clock

The Death Clock.
    Heroes have destroyed this dungeon before and left you and your rival powerless.
    Now that you are back to reclaim it they are amassing a massive army to finish the job once and for all.
    The clock is ticking, gather your scattered forces in time to repel the attack or see the light return permanently to this realm.

I've also made a small update to my earlier map. Before I had made this easy enough for everybody to see everything the map had to offer before time ran out to discuss some of the design features discussed in this topic. As that topic has died down I now upped the pressure and processed the feedback I received to make it more enjoyable to play.

Download it here. Requires KeeperFX 0.4.5.1624 or later.

This map features:
    • A 5 minute first-person introduction to claim your dungeon and imps
    • 83 minutes to build the dungeon, acquire rooms, creatures and gold
    • A massive battle at the end to see if you managed to get a strong enough army
    • A challenge without any cheap deaths.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7117DeatchClock.JPG 
Views:	1335 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	1588  
    Last edited by YourMaster; March 6th, 2015 at 17:18.

This thug of war is pretty, pretty hard. I was close to manage it to make it victorious, but my heart got destroyed, as I was little too busy...

This map is alot of actions and forces to make it out. Not my kind of style to play, but I liked it. I will finish it after I get back to mood to play it

Well, if you were close to being victorious and still got your heart destroyed, it really must have felt like a thug of war to play it.

If you feel you get a bit to overwhelmed, notice the more rooms you take away from the heroes, the fewer parties they can send after you.

Yeah, I didn't really took away much rooms for heroes, didn't even realize it, even if told in objective/information... No wonder it was hard, I try again

I managed to destroy good dungeon heart, but not all the heroes. I got finally 0 creatures left, when herores had 2 only: 2 DWARFS, which ones were attacking my imps. I tried to save my heart for creating imps, and as it is 700 as generate speed, it was absolutely hard....

2 DWARFS ONLY... Also the hero party switched an odd going, just as odd as it was on the death clock, I don't know why or how, is it my gaming style or what it is, at least it did effect cool way, like having own brains...

You have to be fast, luckily Possess Spell were open, so I switched to Spider/Warlock when enemy incoming. Simply played time, abolutely hard was to balance them to get them to the exact place, where hordes or enemies were waiting, while castinc Max Conceal to Imp, while other heroes are raiding your dungeon, while other our creatures are annoyed, as no money(anymore)... Then I switched full power and barely made it... blah...

I love this map, but I also hate it, normal?
    Last edited by UnknownMaster21; March 3rd, 2015 at 09:52.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownMaster21 View Post
    I love this map, but I also hate it, normal?
    I don't know, you're the first one to play it. I'm sure it is frustrating to just lose out, but that should lead to a bigger sense of accomplishment when you do win.

But I'm glad I got the balance right, barely dying to 2 dwarfs of such a massive army is really really close! (I think using lightning would have done more damage to your last 2 dwarfs then fighting imps!).
    The heroes don't have a brain of their own of course, but I did make sure to not only spawn them based on time, but also when you trigger action points(usually shown by alarm traps), and often in a for the player inconvenient location. Also gave them different objectives, most of them are 'attack enemies' which throws you off, but for example the party that spawns close to the gems has 'steal gold' which causes them to kill your imps mining there. Basically I used my brains to make the heroes effective.

Small hints:
    • Spoiler

• Spoiler

• Spoiler

Keeper Spells, I do not want to touch them unless really must, like Conceal, without that I wouldn't have done this far...

I won't use them.... I was so close without them...

My small big spider will do it!

EDIT: I finally beated the map, but I used r1604... doesn't make big difference though... btw Dragons weren't that much of powerful, I suggest to limit them to 1, but give double or even triple amount of strenght and armour, like HyperDragon
    Last edited by UnknownMaster21; March 3rd, 2015 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownMaster21 View Post
    EDIT: I finally beated the map, but I used r1604... doesn't make big difference though... btw Dragons weren't that much of powerful, I suggest to limit them to 1, but give double or even triple amount of strenght and armour, like HyperDragon
    Congratulations. I hope you enjoyed it. So, third attempt?

I didn't make the dragons overly powerful no, but upped the health and armour enough that I felt it made quite a difference in the final wave against the spellcasters.
    By the way, changing strength on dragons would not make a difference as they do not have a melee attack.

I really want that enhancement, where creature can use same creature spell twice. That would be amazingly amazing.

Also setting a power for each spell for each creature, now therefore dragons with changed strenght would appear.

By the wway, actually, it was fifth attempt, and it was close call, this time I had only spider left and I possessed it and sniped remaining enemies. Luckily Avatar was surprisingly easily killed

EDIT: By the way, there is one error. I think you should limit hero appearing to 240 or so, if it happens to go like this

Best Start is 3 Spiders and 3 Demon Spawn, forget Fly... 2-4 Start is abolutely hard, 3-3 is good
    Last edited by UnknownMaster21; March 3rd, 2015 at 16:44.