Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Network problem with Visual C ++

Default Network problem with Visual C ++

Hi, Guys! I'm new here, and the dungeonFX is only great, i found this these days....if there not one problem ^^

We played in lan and there comes ever a fail.... Also...sometimes it is after 5 minutes....and sometimes after 40 minutes....The fail is even the same. It means:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mircrosoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

File:src/bflib_network.cpp
    Line:1179

Expression: UserIdentifiersValid()

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the visual c++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the applicatio - JIT must be enabled)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is ever the same Fail! But i searched in google since a day and i find nothing about this fail.

I want only to play lan.....and the fail comes often when its action in the dungeon...i mean... if i use magic spells..example...thunder and so ^_^ ..... but i want to play the game full and not without this spells xD

I dont know whats the problem........ i hope somebody can help me.... pls ) i would play so much DK succesfully..... and sorry for the bad english ;D

Thanks!

Default Re: Network problem with Visual C ++

Quote Originally Posted by network-keeper View Post
    We played in lan and there comes ever a fail.... Also...sometimes it is after 5 minutes....and sometimes after 40 minutes.
    The network code in KeeperFX definitely needs some polish; but as of now, there are no volunteers to take care of it.

Unless someone will be willing to spend his/her time on improving the network code, these errors will remain.

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    The network code in KeeperFX definitely needs some polish; but as of now, there are no volunteers to take care of it.

Unless someone will be willing to spend his/her time on improving the network code, these errors will remain.

Hi mefisto.
    I think you are a great programmer, you have almost rewritten a game having to work with assembler (complex) code and reverse engineering it...

Don't you think you have necessary knowledge to work on network code? Maybe it's because you want to improve other parts of the game before?

I would like to help, but i don't have experience in game programming nor in network programming...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jomalin View Post
    Don't you think you have necessary knowledge to work on network code? Maybe it's because you want to improve other parts of the game before?

I would like to help, but i don't have experience in game programming nor in network programming...
    This is a very strange way of thinking.

If you won't try and involve into something, you won't get any experience.
    I am skilled in many areas only because I wanted to try and learn.

I do have the necessary knowledge to do networking, but this area just isn't interesting for me.

I actually never play online games. I like discovering games by myself, thinking about what the designers and developers prepared for me, and not minding the other people playing. And for playing against people - I just prefer enemies which are not trying that hard to survive. I like thinking that the AI-controlled entity I see on the screen has the sole purpose of dying by my hands.

I want to report my experience with the LAN game:
    1) We use the 0.40.386.
    2) We use the SAME version of the game (i.e when we decide to do a LAN party, we copy my keeperfx folder to the other computer and we play with the SAME version, that are file by file).
    3) We always played in 2 players, and never more than 2.
    We encountered the Visual C++ error in 2 cases:
    1) When we used different OSes (XP and 8.1), when using the same os everything was fine, using XP and XP or EVEN 7 and 8.1 (maybe 7 and 8.1 are quite similar to manage to play Dungeon Keeper via LAN)
    2) When both tried to use the "everything it's free" cheat; after all, it's enough that just one player activates the cheat and everything it's free for all player (even AI ones). If just one player activates the cheat, everything was fine.
    Of course, a crash or a freeze can still happen, but it's playable (i don't know what if we use more than 2 players)

Do you use that four year old version (0.40) because that is more stable than a recent version (0.45 or 0.46) in multiplayer, of do you have other reasons for that?

If whole game is rewritten, we can probably fix networking to be in line with other more modern RTS games. But that will (at best) not happen for a long time. The most annoying problem is the game code assumes it will run with 0 latency, so when you play on Internet you get massive lag because it must wait very frame for all computers to synchronize.
    Last edited by p_hansson; May 23rd, 2015 at 16:04.

I use the 0.40 because I'm not the kind of person that updates his software if it works!
    The 0.40 is fine for me, I like how it works (even if it crashes sometimes but I save often) and I like the meta (in the new version creatures were changed in a way that I don't like).
    Moreover, I've done some changes to the cfg files of creatures and spells and temple recipes and so I don't see reasons to update.
    The lag problem via Internet is a big and ancient one: i tried with my former girlfriend via internet with dosbox (the original DK) and was sluggish. I don't know if FX is the same, but what Hansson said makes me think that there is the same problem!

Quote Originally Posted by friscmanseby View Post
    I use the 0.40 because I'm not the kind of person that updates his software if it works!
    The 0.40 is fine for me, I like how it works (even if it crashes sometimes but I save often) and I like the meta (in the new version creatures were changed in a way that I don't like).
    Moreover, I've done some changes to the cfg files of creatures and spells and temple recipes and so I don't see reasons to update.
    The lag problem via Internet is a big and ancient one: i tried with my former girlfriend via internet with dosbox (the original DK) and was sluggish. I don't know if FX is the same, but what Hansson said makes me think that there is the same problem!
    Fair enough. So there's no reason to tell people to downgrade to an old version if they want to play multiplayer.
    FYI: In 0.4.6 the changes to the creatures have been reverted. (And it doesn't crash in singleplayer.)

I wasn't telling people to downgrade, I was just reporting my experience with multiplayer and Visual C++ problem