Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too quick to play

Default Too quick to play

Hi guys!

First of all thank you for this wonderful piece of conversion there should be a lot of work behind.

I'm using KeeperFX in Linux with Wine and wow it's some sort of thunder: simply unplayable due to quickness. I tried to lower the frame skip under 20 but without effect. Imagine to have the imps at level 1 running more than a level 10 imp; imagine to have the gold which runs to zero triple time speed than seconds. I played DK years ago on a Celeron 400 PC (at that time a super computer ) and it's not like that

Just to give you an idea: in five seconds my six (!!!) level 1 imps harvest something like 10K gold I remember that it takes a lot more time

So I suppose my point is clear: is there a way to really slow down the game?

Thank you... again

Default Re: Too quick to play

The game speed should be 20 turns per second, but I've seen other Wine-people on this board with the opposite issue, that their game runs far to slow. For those people upping the turns/second fixed it, but it seems that KeeperFX in Wine does not quite know what a 'second' is. That in the past people had the game run too slow, and now for you (assuming you use a very fast system) it runs too fast makes me assume the frame rate is unlimited and based on clock speed.

If reducing the turns/second all the way to 1 still makes the game run too fast, perhaps you can find some application like 'advanced game loader' to reduce the gamespeed. These kind of applications are used to run very old games that did not come with frame limiters (like the original dungeon keeper) on modern machines.
    Last edited by YourMaster; May 13th, 2015 at 00:08.

Thank you very very very much!!

The program you indicated is perfect and now with a 30% of my CPU power the game is playable.

The problem is solved.

Regards.

Good. Happy to help.

You could report the bug to Wine with the information that is plays to fast/slow depending on your CPU so that perhaps in a future version of Wine users can run the game at perfect speed without the use of additional programs.

Ok YourMaster I'll open a bug but prior to do that: are we sure is a Wine bug and not maybe a nasty code cycle?

Can you assure me in Windows the game sets the timer correctly?

Thank you.

There are no windows users mentioning this issue but there have been several wine users.
    To speak for myself, KeeperFX runs the exact 20 frames per second, and I know this because I made a map with a timer and it takes exactly as long for the timer to run out as I expect it to be.

So seems pretty sure to me,....

KeeperFX uses clock() routine from C standard library to measure time.

In theory, it is possible that Wine just uses host OS clock() function when it sees its use. If it is so, then it is a Wine bug - under most OSes the time returned by this function is more precise than on Windows. For Windows, CLOCKS_PER_SEC (which defines the precision) is 1000.

Doesn't clock() measure process time rather than wall clock time on some implementations? Googled it and it's suggested it is.

At either rate, QueryPerformanceCounter is the best timing method on Windows AFAIK (though it would be nice to depend on a platform independent alternative).

Quote Originally Posted by mefistotelis View Post
    KeeperFX uses clock() routine from C standard library to measure time.

In theory, it is possible that Wine just uses host OS clock() function when it sees its use. If it is so, then it is a Wine bug - under most OSes the time returned by this function is more precise than on Windows. For Windows, CLOCKS_PER_SEC (which defines the precision) is 1000.
    Hey the master developer!!!

Really thank you for the software, but REALLY You had a wonderful idea in doing that KeeperFX!!!

So I've matter to put some details into the bug description: Wine please use clock() of the C standard and not host OS clock

Regards.

Hi guys!

I've opened a Wine bug: 38781.

Thank you very much for the help.

Regards.