Thread: Original DK settings

Default Original DK settings

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered previously but I couldn't find it on the forums.

I've been playing Keeper FX for years having loved the game way back when. I recently had some issues with an old version I had (0.4.0.386) so downloaded a newer nightly build (0.4.6.1670). There seems to be loads of changes made to the game and I've been reading posts about changes and fixes but I was wondering if there's any way to get the original DK1 game with original settings, level endings etc. (Skybird Trill was a bit of a surprise!) Or, is there a document I can edit to revert to original settings? I downloaded the patch to revert DL changes I read about (found here: https://keeperklan.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=111) but, if possible, is there a way to get back to default?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Wiz

Default Re: Original DK settings

I think you could use Ancient Keeper settings, that are very close to the original Dungeon Keeper. I don't know how the settings are stored in new versions, but there should be some cfg files, one for each creature...
    What kind of trouble are you having with 0.40 (I still use it)?
    What is the surprise in Skybird Trill?

Anyway, if you want to play the original game, you should play the original keeper95.exe, i guess...

The patch you link to reverts most of the changes made by DragonsLover. The changes I did not revert with that I felt were additions that did not affect the original game.
    For example DL gave all Heroes room attractions, in the original game if the creature pool contained heroes you would always receive them they simply were never available in the pool. No you need certain rooms to for example attract a witch, but in the campaign you still won't get them because they still aren't in the pool.
    However, I did include all the changes he made to the configs, and commented out the changes I though couldn't hurt. You can open the patch file with notepad and remove all the '::' before running it to revert all config changes.
    In version 0.4.6 a lot of values have already been reverted, not everything though. See this and this issue.

I did nothing to revert the changes to the maps. Quite a few changes DL made to maps were fixes, but I have to say I also really dislike the change he made to level 20. (He forces the player to defeat blue).
    If you want to original maps back, you can simply take the maps from your original Dungeon Keeper CD, and put them in the KeeperFX\Levels folder to replace the modified ones. The original levels still run in KeeperFX.

That all being said, there is no 'default'. The original Dungeon Keeper suffered from a couple of bugs which affected many stats and spells. You'll notice that many creatures in the original game are far stronger at level 9 than they are at level 10. With those bugs fixed a lot of things behaved very differently, some creatures became more others less powerful. An effort has been made to rebalance it close to the original values, but it will never be the same.
    Last edited by YourMaster; May 28th, 2015 at 20:36.

Hi,

Thanks both for replying. I'll try the original maps. The main issue which caught my attention was level 20 where I could not defeat blue even though I managed to get quite a few more creatures. As I read elsewhere, it felt a bit of a hollow victory without a doable battle at the end. I played another level and found a similar issue where I had far more creatures than my opponent at similar levels to theirs and a level 10 knight and only just managed to defeat them in battle so I wondered what was happening with creature strength and balancing.

The issue I had with 0.40 was that it would crash near the end of Blaise End when a lot was going on. I tried lots of things to fix it but to no avail. Strange too as it worked fine for years, except occasionally crashing when I tried to load that level.

So do you mean that the compulsory defeat to the blue Keeper in order to win is the "bad surprise"? I don't think that so: if you beat the Heroes but the Blue is stronger than you, when you'll lose end He will become the supreme Keeper. In order to beat him, use Cave In on his vampires in order to kill them once and for all, then use the guard post to block his creatures from enter in your Dungeon. Then possess the Avatar and destroy his Hearh (you can use Dragon's Word of Power or Witch's Wind to move it on your turf).

For the crash in 0.40, I think it's sporadic: maybe when you load or continue the gam you carry the bug with you. Just start a new game and jump to that level (you can use the ctrl + f10 cheat)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizadele14 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks both for replying. I'll try the original maps. The main issue which caught my attention was level 20 where I could not defeat blue even though I managed to get quite a few more creatures. As I read elsewhere, it felt a bit of a hollow victory without a doable battle at the end. I played another level and found a similar issue where I had far more creatures than my opponent at similar levels to theirs and a level 10 knight and only just managed to defeat them in battle so I wondered what was happening with creature strength and balancing.
    Even in the original game, you couldn't beat blue in level 20 in a straight fight. Vampires are just far too strong for the creatures you can get in level 20. The creature balance should be fine in 0.4.6, so if you notice something which you think is wrong, please share.(You can tell us, but also share the save game for example.)
    Remember that it is not the number of creatures that are important, but also the level, how strong they are, and having the proper composition.