Thread: In need of help getting newest KeeperFX installation archive

Imp

Default In need of help getting newest KeeperFX installation archive

Hello to my fellow forum dwellers

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new computer (i3+Windows 7 x86) and I wanted to play a game of DK Gold.
    You all know how it went from there... so after googling some I found the KeeperFX patch at keeper.lubiki.pl.
    I've been trying to download that patch for 2 days without any luck... if I download with Firefox it gets interrupted.
    Same happens with DownThemAll (a firefox add-on to download stuff), where I get a "size missmatch" error.
    The same happens with Internet Explorer 8 and 11.

I sent an e-mail to Tomasz Lis, aka Mefistotelis, to see if he had any idea, and he was kind enough to suggest I ask for a torrent file to the installation archive (keeperfx_ccp_0_4_6_complete.7z) on these forums.

Thank you very much for your understanding and patience!

Cheers

Default Re: In need of help getting newest KeeperFX installation archive

I don't have a torrent link for you, but I've got two tips:

1. Try the mega link: https://mega.co.nz/#!hdMHCAbY!x_rOKy...OhjmI_Flr9DoeU

2. In firefox you can continue the download in a roundabout way.
    1. Go to your download folder of firefox.
    2. Locate the temporary file of your keeperfx download.
    3. Rename it (e.g. keeperfx.temp1)
    4. Restart the download.
    5. Pause the new download after a few seconds
    6. There is a new temporary file. Copy the name and remove the file.Remove the new temporary file. Now give the keeperfx.temp1 file that name.
    7. In firefox continue the download.

Imp

Thank you very much for your fast reply!

1) MEGA link fails at around 50%, saying I need to install some dumb extension to Firefox if I want to download files bigger than 1GB (the file is less than 400MB ?).
    When I install the add-on it goes all the way to 99, and there it goes back to 85... then it downloads to 93 and goes back to 90. Etc, etc. I spent 6 hours yesterday night watching it do that...

2) I can't seem to make option 2 work. When I click on resume Firefox stops the download and says "failed".

Isn't it possible to download it through FTP or have the original download link accept resuming?

(edit to include MEGA error message)

To download files larger than 1GB, please install our browser extension.
    [Exception... "Out of Memory" nsresult: "0x8007000e (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY)" location: "JS frame :: blob:https://mega.co.nz/d6a9b55a-5b1a-47d8-aeaf-0bf857a277b1 :: MemoryIO/this.write :: line 22091" data: no]

It is strange for the mega link to fail, you could ask them: https://mega.co.nz/#contact.

If your firefox trick fails it means the download gets corrupted when it fails. You could try the alternative: Pause the download before it fails (e.g. every 50 MB), make a backup of the temp file, when the download fails restore the backup with the steps listed above(On step 6 use the backup instead). This is sure to work eventually but if the download gets interrupted too often it is a lot of work.

And sure it would be possible to put the file on a public FTP somewhere or make modifications to the website, but the webmaster of this site isn't going to do so, so perhaps some other user can host it somewhere for you. My internet is very, very poor so I can't help you.

Is by any chance your internet connection very slow as well? If so you can ask a friend with a fast internet connection if he can download the file between interrupts and send you the file somehow. (FTP, SD cart, whatever).

Imp

I'm not sure it is possible, the original link is hosted on a server that doesn't support resuming downloads. Firefox refuses to resume the download with a terse "Failed" error message and lets me no other option than restart from scratch.

I'll keep trying nevertheless, it seems it's the only chance I got left to play this game!

I noticed there is a download link on these forums for a 0.4 patch. I'm not sure there is a way to update that to 0.4.6?

My Internet connection isn't very fast for what it is (residential cable over optic fiber network), but it can consistently download at 2MB/s.

I'll try again tomorrow from a friend's place, thanks for your time!

I've done so in the past on this very site, but it sucks for sure. Key is to pause the download before it corrupts. 2MB is fair enough.

There is no way to update from 0.4.0 to 0.4.6. KeeperFX is not a patch but a standalone game which uses some files from the original game to make sure you own a copy, and there are no update scenarios between main versions beyond reinstalling everything and copying over the save games.

Trying from a friend place is a good option. But perhaps eventually some other people come around this forum as well who can provide a mirror of the download.

Also have you tried the mega link with google chrome?

Imp

Installing Chrome did the trick, without any add-ons!

I just finished downloading the archive from MEGA and everything went pear-shaped.

Thank you very much!

Good. Enjoy the game and the pears.