Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to replicate the 'Rock Fall' effect in Editor?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tyrant Cenobyte PSN ID: Tyrant-Cenobyte

Question How to replicate the 'Rock Fall' effect in Editor?

I've finally returned to complete my own Dungeon Keeper campaign and I've stumbled into a few obstacles whilst designing some of the levels.

Firstly, in the original campaign, Moonbrush Wood has a unique effect in front of the room that holds the Locate Hidden World magic box. In front of the door you can see a looping 'Cave-In' animation and I would really like to know how to replicate this.

It shows in the official Editor as 'Rock Fall' with a similar radial effect to the light, lava and drip effects, but no sure way to actually place this unique effect in any custom maps. Does anyone have any more information on how I can utilise this effect?

Lastly, is there any possible way to plop trap boxes/designs on maps through the editor, or maybe with another program, but would then show in the official editor? I'd like to place some unused trap boxes throughout one of my levels for narrative and gameplay purposes but only have the option of planting the actual traps. Is there another method for doing this?

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: How to replicate the 'Rock Fall' effect in Editor?

You can place Rock Fall using Adikted.

What do you mean by the second question? You want to collect trapboxes that don't give an actual trap? You might be able to achieve that with scripting by just taking away the traps after the player gets the box.

Gamer IDs

Trap boxes that your imps can take to the Workshop ready for deployment. Bascially a completed trap that has not been placed yet.

Are there any other unique effects/properties similar to Rock Fall to your knowledge also?

Yes those trap boxes exist. I've never used the official editor and never plan to as Adikted does everything it does plus more. Sure it doesn't initially have a GUI as readable as the official editor but you get used to it; I don't even see the code. All I see is increase level, hatchery, imp.

These are the five main effects;
    Rock Fall - Cave-in rocks.
    Entrance Ice - Portal clouds. Looks pretty much the same as Dry Ice except it seems to separate a bit more.
    Dry Ice - Graveyard clouds. You also see this around specials quite a lot in the main campaign.
    Lava - The molten balls of rock you see jumping out of the lava. Lava without them is very dark and boring; lifeless. Needs to be placed on lava otherwise it does nothing.
    Dripping Water - Droplets that fall from the ceiling. Pretty sure it needs to be placed on water but i've never actually tried.
    And here's a bonus bootleg effect;
    Heart Flame (colour) - The flames that sit around the dungeon heart. The red ones go well with lava to look like flame spires.

You can do some good things with 'things'. Hero lairs look like pentagrams, torture chairs look like altars, demon spawn lairs look like the skeleton of a long dead animal.

There's a trick to make the minimap show completely different terrain to what's actually in the map. Could do some nice secret door or uncheatable maze maps if need be.
    I haven't even mentioned column mode yet either, purely because I have no idea how to work it.

Gamer IDs

Is there a basic map I can download to view all of these effects and 'things' in real-time? Ideally with colours of the Heart Flame too? I want to use some unusual and rarely utilised effects throughout this campaign.

I've downloaded Adikted and it's incredibly intimidating on first glance haha, I will give it a fair trial though as it does seem to be the definitive 'editor', but I worry that I will just create the campaign with the official editor and ask around for those to add certain things to the maps with Adikted

No, but when you start to play around with adikted you can make that one yourself quickly enough. You already know the color of the heart flames, they are the corners of the dungeon heart. (Yours is Red, the blue keepers flame is blue, etc.)

I also use both editors together.

Gamer IDs

Thank you both. I'll have a play around with both, see how I get on with Adikted.

Where in Adikted can I find the 'things' you mentioned Woudo? Thanks again.

When in doubt, F1.

Things are accessed with TAB.
    "e" for effects, "i" for items.
    If it changes the tile to e or i, you're not in thing mode.

You'll get used to it with practice.

Gamer IDs

Thanks for clarifying, I'll definitely give it a fair trial.

Campaign maps are essentially complete, I'm drawing the land-view as we speak and I have begun on the narrative voice-over (don't worry it's not imp-like!) and then I just need to script the levels correctly. Any volunteers?

Volunteers for scripting? I could.

Any problems you have just post in this thread.