Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wetlands

Default Re: Thug of War | The Death Clock

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I'd say at least train your warlocks until lvl 3 before thinking about research. Training remains more important, but having some of the spells won't hurt, especially sight to see which rooms there are to claim. And note that if you're playing with a nightly build or KeeperFX 0.46U guardposts won't help with efficiency. Having the spiders/demon spawn researching sounds like a waste to me, if they can do that they can also fight to push onward and claim more rooms. And I wouldn't say it is trial and error, the level objective clearly states: "Heroes will attack. Raid their dungeon to gain power, or get crushed by the relentless heroes of this realm." This isn't a lie, you must attack or you'll be defeated. If you remember this, you should always win, but if you decide to turtle anyway, you'll die.

Basically this is the walkthrough for the level, so read on your own risk:

- Before you breach out, you can find a workshop to the north-west.
    - You may train a bit before you breach out, but when you hear the heroes have found you you're late, quickly claim the library.
    - Once you are healed up - time this right with when parties attack - claim your first barrack. When you're recovered from the counter attack also claim the second barracks so heroes don't have it available anymore.
    - Quickly train up your Orcs a bit, when they have a few levels, I suggest to take the southern route first. If you're having trouble from the magical parties, go for their library first, if not, try to claim a prison.
    - After you have either library or prison, find the second portal before taking the other room. At this point you should get a sizable army that can handle anything the map throws at you.
    - Now decide: Push on to get the temple, or take the northern route to get the torture room. This depends on if you prefer skeletons or have some nice heroes to convert.
    - Finish both routes now, get a large as possible army now with all the rooms you got, and prepare for the final assault by smartly placing traps: Spellcasting heroes will die easily to lighting traps. If you get dragons, they really help.
    - Don't take too long, otherwise they will come out and destroy you. When you are ready, breach the final room with the hero hearth. Kill it and all heroes to win. Fight smartly, not every hero at once and use lightning to kill wizards and fairies.

General advice:
    - Only have one entrance to your base to focus the fighting on, and you can use traps.
    - If you don't have time to train all your creatures, be smart with the levels. Spiders are much more effective when they get freeze(use this spell well), demon spawn when they get heal, warlocks with heal/firebomb, trolls with speed, etc.
    - If you slap a creature before a fight, it is 25% more efficient.
    - Feed chickens to creatures if you quickly need them healed before a fight.
    Quick question. I'm playing Wetlands now. Are bridges supposed to unlock after defeating the wizards in the library? That seems to be hinted at, but I've done that and now I'm sitting here unsure of where to go next.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwame View Post
    Quick question. I'm playing Wetlands now. Are bridges supposed to unlock after defeating the wizards in the library? That seems to be hinted at, but I've done that and now I'm sitting here unsure of where to go next.
    Yes, you'll get the bridge when you kill the wizards and walk over the central spell in that room. After that you can claim the next parts of the temple.
    Does this mean the hints were not enough to finish 'Thug of War'?

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Yes, you'll get the bridge when you kill the wizards and walk over the central spell in that room. After that you can claim the next parts of the temple.
    Does this mean the hints were not enough to finish 'Thug of War'?
    I made it further but ended up dying again. That was over a week ago; I haven't been playing much lately.

Twice I've played Wetlands now and I'm not getting the bridge after killing the wizards. Today I possessed a level 10 demon spawn and took out all the witches and wizards manually. I then possessed an imp and ran around the room trying to activate something. Next thing I knew, a huge army spawned from the south-most point of the map and wiped out all of my creatures, mostly thanks to the witches spamming wind. Earlier in the game, when enemies spawn from three different points at once, I lost all but one creature - a demon spawn, and had to basically start over with all new creatures, so this invasion force from the south was too much for my creatures, most of whom were levels 3-5. I had also run out of gold to mine by this stage so creatures were getting annoyed.

Also, what do you mean by "next parts of the temple"?

I made it further but ended up dying again. That was over a week ago; I haven't been playing much lately.

Twice I've played Wetlands now and I'm not getting the bridge after killing the wizards. Today I possessed a level 10 demon spawn and took out all the witches and wizards manually. I then possessed an imp and ran around the room trying to activate something. Next thing I knew, a huge army spawned from the south-most point of the map and wiped out all of my creatures, mostly thanks to the witches spamming wind. Earlier in the game, when enemies spawn from three different points at once, I lost all but one creature - a demon spawn, and had to basically start over with all new creatures, so this invasion force from the south was too much for my creatures, most of whom were levels 3-5. I had also run out of gold to mine by this stage so creatures were getting annoyed.

Also, what do you mean by "next parts of the temple"?
    I have no idea why you are having difficulties with this. I've played the map a few times, and also people in the topic about wetlands never mentioned a problem here. This is basically the walkthrough of the level:

- Get the troll to the north-west and the first three tiles of temple
    - Behind the troll, dig through and claim the barracks
    - With the barracks, lead a party of creatures to the wizards down south. This gets you the bridge.
    - Free the Warlock
    - Defeat the party south for three more pieces of temple
    - Defeat the monks and claim the final three pieces of temple. Rebuild it to be able to sacrifice creatures.
    - Go north east to free the mistress
    - Defeat the blue keeper and capture some of his bile demons
    - Use the temple to get a reaper. This should trigger the hero dwarf from their southern fortress
    - Destroy the hero heart and the hero party triggered there

If you don't get the bridge when you walk over the flames in the wizard room and have the wizards killed, something is wrong. A restart should never be required, please save your game and share it with me so I can take a look. The witches are unrelated, they spawn after 75 minutes of playing, but at this point you should almost have the level beat already.

Theoretically that's all fine, just hitting quite a few snags on the way.

My units weren't powerful enough to defeat 5 level 9 bile demons. I had to take them out slowly and claimed the hatchery to weaken them. Not much point in capturing them since they just die in prison without becoming skeletons. Not sure then what the point of the blue keeper is. I'm not attracting any bile demons through the portals either.

Attacking the samurai and archers guarding the mistress is tough because of the guard posts and water. I cant claim the tiles close enough to drop units since the samurai keeps killing my imps. Obviously invisibility is no use. So I can't build bridges to connect to the guard posts and allow my creatures to attack.

I did eventually get the bridge unlocked, it just took possession of an imp and running around the centre area a few times before it triggered.

Also is it intended to access the areas of lava and earth within the impenetrable rock? There are a few diagonally placed tiles of rock that maybe a wind spell could blow through?

Then you probably did it in the wrong order, play it in the order I list above. The bridge is one of the first things you should get, as that enables you to get a prison and improve your army. When you use the barracks you can quickly get it if you make a party with a few orcs and tentacles/demon spawn.
    To get a more powerful army, make sure to get your tentacles strong enough that they get freeze, but don't continue training them much further as you'll run out of gold. They gain experience when they sleep next to water.

The samurai can be brute forced if you've got some ranged creatures, you can use wind to blow in your army, you can use your barracks and you can also be smart with your imps and claim/dig beyond the guard posts.

And when the blue keeper is the last thing on your list. You should have over 20 creatures and be able to freeze the bile demons, so that is easy. And yes, you can use your torture room to convert the bile demons, if you capture them before you've got it, keep them alive with chickens.

And no, using wind is not required on this level, and I've hidden nothing within the rocks.

I got past the samurai using possession and a dragon. I was able to walk diagonally to get onto the guard post and flame him to death. Got the mistress, defeated the monks...

Is the horned reaper necessary to complete the level? If so how do I get one? I can't capture bile demons as the imprison button has been disabled by the script after I captured a few heroes.
    Yes, the whole point of this level is to get the horned reaper. And the bile demon is required for this. There are three ways:

* Capture one before you lose the ability to use your prison
    * When you've already lost the ability, you'll get a free bile demon once you've defeated blue
    * If you kill blue when you can still use your prison, and fail to capture a bile demon you're out of luck, but are now able to attract them from your portal if you've not yet reached your creature limit.

Edit: You've removed your post. You must have noticed you had a bile demon.
    Last edited by YourMaster; September 23rd, 2016 at 17:45.

Got it, thanks.

As if that weren't enough, now I'm having problems with the temple sacrifice. Dropping the bile demon, mistress and troll is only casting rebound on my creatures. Tried again, it cast protection. The third time I tried it, I was given a demon spawn. Fourth is rebound again. I don't think the game wants me to complete this map haha.

That means you've already thrown other stuff in the temple. The recipe for rebound on your creatures is 'Bug + Dark Mistress'. And a demon_spawn you used to get when you sacrificed a 'bug+troll'. So tell me, what did you do with your bugs?
    The solution is to sacrifice another bug before you do the horny recipe. I also recommend upgrading your game (after you've finished the map) to version 0.4.6U.

I sacrificed my beetles as I was at the creature limit and hoped to attract something better.

I thought this might be the case so I tried to break the chain by dropping a chicken, hoping it would reset the sacrifice. I've no more bugs to throw in now...
    Edit: Sacrificing an Orc first should also work for you, you'd get a tentacle. Or a demon spawn for a hound. You can't break the chain.
    Last edited by YourMaster; September 23rd, 2016 at 18:03.

I sacrificed my beetles as I was at the creature limit and hoped to attract something better.

I thought this might be the case so I tried to break the chain by dropping a chicken, hoping it would reset the sacrifice. I've no more bugs to throw in now...

Edit: So I had to sacrifice an Orc to finish the Beetle sacrifice and that gave me a Tentacle. I was then able to get the Reaper, but he was only level 4. Either way, I pressed forward and made it to the Lord of the Land, just wasn't able to beat him. Still, at least now I know what to do. The lack of gold was the main setback as it really limited my training and led to a lot of angry creatures.
    Last edited by Gwame; September 23rd, 2016 at 18:04.