Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't you think it's time we had a new DK1 Editor?

Default Don't you think it's time we had a new DK1 Editor?

Okay I know that they're three dk1 editors as it is. But wouldn't it be great if we had a new editor similar to the dk2 editor? Would make making maps quicker and less complex than using Adikted.

Default Re: Don't you think it's time we had a new DK1 Editor?

Not to sound like a jerk, but: Yes, great. Now what? Will you make one?

The community here is so small that among us there aren't a whole lot of software developers who can take on such a massive project, especially since a few that might have left to do WftO.
    Now there are some people developing KeeperFX in their spare time, are you saying they should stop work on KeeperFX and spend time on this editor instead?
    Keep in mind that if rewriting KeeperFX is complete new features could more easily be added, high resolution sprites can be introduced, current limitations(like the number of IF-statements in a map or total number of creatures in a game) can be addressed and fundamental problems like the pathfinding bug can be solved. All this can and should enable map-makers to do stuff in maps that are currently impossible.

If there was a new editor (or simply a GUI written on top of Adikted), this would only make mapmaking easier/faster at best, and would not lead to additional possibilities. It is hard to who is still working on maps - hardly any are still released - but my guess is that most of the people who are can either work with Adikted easily enough, or want to make maps that can be done with the official editor no problem. Those people would rather get some new features to work with rather than a better editor.

Besides, I think the actual time spent in the editor is just a small part of the time spent on making a map. Designing, scripting, playtesting, balancing it all out, fixing it, fighting against the game limitations all take a lot more time. Unless a map is simply drawn and hardly scripted, in which case there are quite a bit of those maps already. I would prefer quality over quantity, but at the moment nobody has any suggestions for some really great maps.

What's wrong with Adikted? I've yet to have a situation where I couldn't do something and Adikted was the one at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Designing, scripting, playtesting, balancing it all out, fixing it, fighting against the game limitations all take a lot more time.
    Yeah, fuck this shit right here. It's hard to make complex maps when you're constantly battling the pathfinding bug, the IF/Tunneler/Party limits and the limited script availability.

It was only a suggestion...

Yeah, and nobody is angry for you for making that suggestion,....

And for me it was an honest question, it sure is great to want things, but how do you want to accomplish this?

I'm angry at both of you for having long names that don't lend themselves to a decent nickname.

Well, Dark - king kong - man, could be called 'Ape', and just call me Bob.

Awakening Game Master Metal Gear Rex's Avatar

You know, this is exactly what I needed to get me into the DK1 mapmaking scene. A good old fashion DK2 map editor, but for DK1.

*snaps fingers*

Get to it, Bobby. Your Ape friend can tag along too.
    Dungeon Keeper 2 Patch: With More Balance and Pie [Hiatus]
    Forever Hiatus. Probably. Latest Version: 3.5 w/Levels 1-11 Revised.

The Awakening: GM Powers Activate!
    Tesonu is napping!

Don't call me bobby. I selected Bob because it is a 3 letter name, so don't add 2 more letters. If I could have 5 letters I would have gone with 'Prince' instead.

Warlock

Adikted does its job. Sure the learning curve is steep but once you get the hang of it, you're sweet.