Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Don't you think it's time we had a new DK1 Editor?

Exclamation Re: Don't you think it's time we had a new DK1 Editor?

The question should be, will Adikted get updated?

• Bugs may be an exaggeration, but I had downloaded several maps made in Adikted that didn't work, because the creator would forget to update the map before he or she uploaded it.

Implementing a way to have all maps saved 100% working.
      A warning sign would already be helpful.
      It would improve the map created in general, but also make creating maps less annoying.

• The Adikted script editor is also not working very well, because it doesn't recognize newer discovered commands.
      For example, it doesn't read RANDOM, so I can't use it to test scripts.
      Back to notepad and manual debugging.

Repairing the script debugger from the documentation available now, doesn't look like hard task to me, although will take some time.

• One can not see how columns are changed in column mode, although I wouldn't know how to solve that.

• Height is very irritating, placing things do not recognize height in the blocks. With temple or guard house, it becomes a problem.

Further Adikted is fine.
    It is many times better than the Dungeon Keeper map maker.

Default Re: Don't you think it's time we had a new DK1 Editor?

All signs point to no.

The original author seems to have long abandoned it. Mefistotelis - the keeperfx creator - has made an important update a few years ago but as it seems to mostly function he has focused on KeeperFX. Unfortunately he seems to have lost motivation to work on KeeperFX as well and after making some wonderful new additions for the next release also introduced some mayor bugs and just left it there. I hope at some point he returns at least for a little bit, reverts the changes that didn't work well and release a 0.4.7 version before he fully abandons the project.
    With this in mind, it doesn't seem likely that he'll just decide to work on AdiKted again.

But who know, perhaps tomorrow a developer stops by here and he'll decide to work on the editor.

Yes, I know. Mefistoteles already said some years ago, that he didn't want to work on Adikted any more.
    And I don't mind, because I very much disagree on several choices he made in KeeperFX.

Making new codes made KeeperFX incompatible to Dungeon Keeper. If Mefistoteles would update Adikted now, he would implement his KeeperFX codes also, and I would than choose to use the earlier version of Adikted any ways, if I ever make a map again.

I highly disagree with changing the game, in whatever way, and get irritated every time for the small changes in gameplay mefistoteles made in my older version of KeeperFX. KeeperFX should be a way to install Dungeon Keeper in the newer computers, and if the hanging of the game could be solved that would also be awe some, but making a new game is not the purpose of KeeperFX. He'd than better than go to call it MefistolesFX, or something like that.

I've never used the script editor in Adikted because.. why? You can just open up the .txt file with notepad++ and go from there. Whenever I open Notepad++, it also opens COPY-PASTE which has all the room/creature/trap availabilities that I can then quickly modify. Usually have a bunch of other level scripts open as well so I can lift other scripts like parties and party triggers.
    A map with a keeper focus that only has a few hero parties takes literally 2-3 minutes to script this way.

I wish Mef would come back at least briefly for this pathfinding bug as well.

Dzjeear had made a standard file to script on, in order to increase the speed of scripting.
    I would post it on my Dungeon Keeper website, that has gone now because that hosting company would stop hosting websites.
    The wallpaper at http://keeper.lubiki.pl looked like the wbesite I had made, Dungkeep at Geocities.
    I've been using notepad++ also for several years now. I use it for many things, mostly for .css coding.

I prefer to make scripts on windows notepad though, and I was also not content with the standard that Dzjeear used.
    I once made a better one, I thought so, but really did not use it much.
    I like to use notepad, because I can put the background color to gray, in order to save my eyes and have less aggression from the screen.
    And use other scripts to copy and paste from, and the documentation.
    It takes some time longer to script, but I need time to calculate things out also, just my way of doing it.
    I sometimes switch to notepad++ from notepad, but work mostly on notepad and from the keeper/levels directory.

A debugger, in a program that is open anyway, is helpful though
    So I still think implementing the commands discovered by fans, after Adikted was updated before this new DK community started, would NOT be a waste of time.

Great that there is a DK community now, however small, there was none for several years just after DK2 was published.

I've made a small plugin for notepad++ I use myself, which helps in speed of scripting and preventing mistakes because it has context highlighting and autocomplete.