Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: User made maps and KeeperFX

Warlock

Default User made maps and KeeperFX

Looking at a lot of the maps on keeper.lubiki, I can't help but notice a lot of them haven't really been playtested as such. This can be a problem as it leads to otherwise great levels like Testemfil and Titan virtually unplayable (where continuous hero spawns mean you can't get down to 0 heroes, meaning victory is impossible)

Default Re: User made maps and KeeperFX

Nobody likes playtesting.

But you are right, not all maps work well, and of those that do many of them still have exploits. Others simply are no fun. And from the long list there is no way to tell which ones are the good ones and which ones to avoid. I've tried to get a topic started where we play test the levels to see which ones are worthwhile, but nobody wanted to join in.

So I gave up too, and simply made a few levels for myself that I like to play.
    I don't think any of the original mapmakers are coming back to fix their old maps, so hopefully somebody will make a website to download and rate the maps sometime, but I doubt it.

Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    Nobody likes playtesting.

But you are right, not all maps work well, and of those that do many of them still have exploits. Others simply are no fun. And from the long list there is no way to tell which ones are the good ones and which ones to avoid. I've tried to get a topic started where we play test the levels to see which ones are worthwhile, but nobody wanted to join in.

So I gave up too, and simply made a few levels for myself that I like to play.
    I don't think any of the original mapmakers are coming back to fix their old maps, so hopefully somebody will make a website to download and rate the maps sometime, but I doubt it.
    Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd overhaul the map database with an actual search engine (with filters for difficulty level and number of keepers for example) and ensuring some playtesting was done before the map is uploaded. "Conquest of the Arctic" really wasn't thought through for example.

I'm sure if you launch a competing DK-map database with some functionality like that (and a rating system) yours would be used over the current one, and nobody would mind.

Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I'm sure if you launch a competing DK-map database with some functionality like that (and a rating system) yours would be used over the current one, and nobody would mind.
    -
    TBH rating systems should be restricted to registered users

All three of us? How are people supposed to know which maps are worth playing and which ones are to be left alone?

Spider

I think it'd be easier if maps that are verified to work correctly, and get some agreed vote of confidence (whatever that might be), get included in the official (full) KeeperFX download? Added to the 'levels' folder as a standalone map.

Dayo

Getting that vote of confidence is the difficult part,... nobody seems to be playing maps anymore, and like I just mentioned, nobody is willing to take some maps from the database, play them, and review them.

Just for comparison, Skarok made a fake-map, as a joke, that won't play at all. It has 14 downloads. The last map I made has 16 downloads, the one before that has 22 downloads. I also rehosted some tools from dungeon-keeper.net that have been available through lubiki for many years and that has gotten 20 downloads.
    Those figures tell me that nobody is downloading and playing user made dungeon keeper maps, as random files get as many downloads as actual maps. Surely that is largely because there are hardly any DK players left, but I think also because the user maps have a bad rep, and the few people who tried one have had a good chance to try a bad one and there is no way to know which ones are good.

I know Mefisto is already not to keen to include more stuff with the game as he has received many complaints already about the quality of the campaigns already included. But if you have an idea on how to find some levels that are fun, perhaps he would be willing to include them at some point. For now, if you know of at least one map good enough to be considered, please share. (Here for example.)

Warlock

I'm currently working on a new level, but what I think would help downloads a lot is if we get quality on the level of your work (Desperation was a really good level that kept me constantly on my toes). Other levels, like Titan or Syndikat just need a bit of tidying up to resolve issues that made them unplayable. Other maps, like Grinics Kreign and Normandy, PURGE!.

Quality is one thing, but you also need some way to let people find the quality maps.

I've downloaded Syndika, Titan and Testemfil, I'll give them a try.