Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dread Mountain

Default Dread Mountain

Dread Mountain.
    Your dungeon was a fart invested hell hole ruled by Bile Demons until Heroes started attacking you through a mountain pass.
    A rival keeper has a dungeon between you and them and he is not about to let you cross his part of the realm. He is walled in tight.
    Gain power by claiming hatcheries, then find the hidden passages through the mountains to destroy both your rival and the heroes.

I created this map to demonstrate what can be done with 'Slab50' from AdIkTeD. It has bedrock floors, a magical construct and mountain tunnels.
    I have not seen this be used on any other map. To learn more see this topic.

If you played it, please let me know what you think. All Feedback is welcome.

This map features:
    • Bile Demons that will plot against your skeletons.
    • A magical generator that will provide you with imps, but at the cost of your ghosts.
    • A maze through the mountains.
    • Progression through claiming hatcheries. You can't build your own and don't have a heal spell.
    • A fair amount of gold so that you won't run out.

Download it here. Requires KeeperFX 0.4.6 or later.

If you like the map, also try some of my others:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map02019.png 
Views:	855 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	1614  

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ecarus333

Default Re: Dread Mountain

It is a very original map, however, i think you broke one of your principles about doing good maps, and that is the lethal surprise party: TEH FAKIN LVL7-8 BARBARIAN PARTY KEEPS KILLING ME!
    Maybe its my fault, i think im a very slow player for that map, i have tried like 20 times and death death death DETH omg!!
    But yeah its very funny and has a very insteresting design. 10/10 imo, even if i can't complete it hahaha
    For me the best thing of the level is the Magic Gizmo which converts ghosts into imps, mainly because the look is unique and is really interesting his function.

Sorry, but glad you're at least enjoying it. A lethal surprise party is one you dig into and it kills you which you can't help. This one is set on a timer and attacks you,... I made it to prevent players from just slowly sitting back and converting heroes with chickens. I asked Woudo to playtest for me and that was the point where he died as well so I already made the barbarians a bit weaker and have the party spawn 5 minutes later than I had it set originally.

The trick to this map is to always get all hatcheries as quickly as possible as you get a lot stronger from doing so. Take the second one right away, and and as soon as both bile demons are level 2 take the barracks and shortly after that the 3th hatchery and you should win no problem. The third hatchery faster it is not very well defended and you'll get more creatures from that as well as the option to convert the defenders. Don't waste time converting level1/2 heroes. Make your demon spawn do research.

Let me know if with these tips you still have problems, in that case I reduce the timer for that party a bit more.

And thanks for the compliment. Personally I think I like Wetlands the most of my maps, even though it is the least downloaded. I'm kinda fed up with this one as I had to play it several times during development/testing.

Edit:
    Four additional tips to help you hurry up at the beginning:
    - When you possess a bile demon you can defeat the two dwarfs straight away.
    - Feeding the bile demon chickens heals them so he can go back to research faster
    - Slapping the bile demons right before the fight makes them 25% stronger, so 2 bile demons can easily take the small group of barbarians. Same thing goes against the party of stronger barbs, slap your now level5/6 bile demons and they have very little trouble against the party you face there, and feed them chickens to make them survive.
    - Torture the first few heroes to death to get the imps, that will help you build your dungeon faster (fortified rooms are more efficient!).
    Last edited by YourMaster; October 25th, 2015 at 00:35.

Gamer IDs

Thanks for your tips, i managed to convert the barbarians I got stuck in the blue fight so i will just make money from my workshop before continue hahaha
    I think you should nerf that barbarian party a little bit, i mean yeah i managed to kill them but you helped me, the player is supposed to be able to do it without help

EDIT:
    Also i discovered something funny, when a creature is frezzed and you feed them chickens they will do the eating animation while being in that icy color lol.
    Last edited by Ecarus; October 25th, 2015 at 04:24.

Are you trying to kill blue right after you've taken the third hatchery? Why did you not dig to the gems instead of getting gold from the workshop?
    If you are not powerful enough to kill blue, claim more hatcheries.

Gamer IDs

No, I have all the hatcheries with the exception of the one under blue control. I have the gems but for me one face is not enough to maintain my creatures training and payday.

The problem im having is because the lvl 10 mistress almost instakill my lvl1 biledemon lol so i will just train a little bit.
    Last edited by Ecarus; October 25th, 2015 at 15:53.

I've updated the map to be a little bit easier. I changed one of the objectives to tell the player to hurry up, reduced one lvl8 barb to lvl6 and made the party spawn 3 minutes later. This is a delicate issue though, because most players(that are still around) know they can slap their creatures and feed them chickens and it should be too easy for them either.
    Did you also have issues with the other maps I made, or is this the first one you played?

As for fighting the blue keeper, either lead a high level party yourself with the barracks, or use your entire army with CTA. Make sure they all get into the fight at the same time, so make them rally just before the blue base, wait until your giants/dragon/biles are there and only then press the attack. You can easily have about 40-50 creatures facing just about 14 enemies so they should die quickly. If your spiders have freeze the mistresses will die quickly, but orcs and hounds are also very effective against them.
    But sure, if you use lvl1 bile demons against the lvl 10 mistresses you'll die.

Gamer IDs

I have just complete it, and i have to say that for me the game near the end got too easy and repetitive, it is still very good, but i had to use frameskip a lot before killing blue. And the hero fortress was far too easy compared to the rest of the level. Also, i dont like that you made 2 changes to the barbarian party, i think you made it too easy, only reducing the lvl of one barb or only making the party spawn later should be enough. Also i forgot this game is 18 years old (older than me lol) so people still playing should be pro lol.

This is the first one i played, i didnt played DK or being in the forum for 1 year because of the school, and when i cameback i saw this crazy map and i was like wtf i want this hahaha. Next one i will try is The Death Clock, seems to be very difficult.

Final Score for this map: 10/10. Very Original, great idea for giving the keeper more powers when they claim hatcheries, i had a similar idea for a map im still making btw. Very difficult at some points, near the end it comes a little bit repetitive.

You make me feel old, I have been playing the game off and on since release.

You talked about losing at that point about 20 times, just making 1 element a little bit easier would have hardly made a difference. I've opted for two small changes to be big enough to notice, but also because they balance each other out a bit,... I made the push a bit easier to survive, but now also you don't get to add two lvl8 barbs to your army so the rest of the game is a little bit tougher.
    Anyway, I'll leave it like this for now pending some feedback from other people if they find it too easy or too difficult.

And thanks for the praise, but I don't think a map that ends up getting 'too easy and repetitive' deserves a perfect score. I was afraid the second half was a bit too boring, but I was out of ideas. For me the level is basically complete when you claim all the hatcheries, the payoff is using CTA to roll over blue and the heroes. I did not have time to frameskip though, I think I was strong enough to kill blue before even claiming the final hatchery, so the level ended I think 5 minutes after that.

As for difficulty, it is very hard to say, there are some massive differences between what people here find difficult and what they find easy. Party because there are massive gaps between player skill and experience, but also because of different play styles, with people specialized in just building up and others with more focus on micro and yet others know all the mechanics very well. All in all I think all 5 maps I made are a lot easier than the (post)unded-keeper campaign maps but a bit beyond the deeper dungeon maps. 'Thug of War' being the most difficult, 'Wetlands' the easiest one.
    Last edited by YourMaster; October 25th, 2015 at 23:13.

Warlock

Probably the best fanmade map out there, aside from the Ancient/Undead Keeper campaigns. 10/10