Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alcatraz

Default Alcatraz

A DK1 level that I made some years ago.
    The creatures at the start are not very many, but later in the game all creatures come available, while there is also a prison with torture room to capture other creatures.

Level is made in Adikted, and is having much alternate blocks, that may be some what confusing at the start.
    Once playing, you will notice it is a normal level, although the map has lots of new rules never used in earlier DK maps.
    Be careful to secret corridors, the AI can find them more easily than a human player can.
    The map is compatible with original Dungeon Keeper, as well as all KeeperFX versions.

Random is used in most creature spawns, in order to make playing different every time, but I noted not much difference playing it several times.
    If Gold is low at the start, respawning the map may give you a higher Gold amount to start with, but you will get some Gems also at the start.

If you can't win the level, I thought it is not to be hard, but off course i knew the map when start to play it, I would be interested to know.
    For as far as I've been playing the map, it is stable, and will not go tilt quickly.
    If you dig and reinforce fast enough, the map should be easy to win.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Alcatraz

Well, I've played it and died really soon. I killed the white dungeon heart close by and it caused countless heroes to spawn and walk right into my dungeon. I had duplicated my skeletons until I had roughly 120 but they got stomped.
    I guess if I retry I go east instead of north,...

Is there some trick in getting power_hand? I see no way of getting creatures who want to research, because I need my hand to assign creatures to the library or use the torture room to get volunteers.

And why would you use column mode in such a way? For the tunnels I get it, but what's the point in me having to sell slabs of water to be able to see my treasure room?

It was designed that way.
    You can see the White Dungeon Heart, and a special that will make you view the whole map, but you can not claim it.
    I think it would be a spoiler, to explain here how to claim the White Dungeon Heart.

If you don't like your Gold to lay in the water all the time, you can sell and buy the tiles of the treasure room.
    I understand, no one wants their gold to be wet.
    This may look like a boring joke, but you need to figure out how the tiles at the start off the map, because there are some more tile problems, that you will meet later on in the map. Maybe you already noticed, that it is impossible to dig the gems, if you haven't figured out yet how the tiles magic works.

At the start, before your imps enforce the walls off the treasure room, you can use the thief to walk around there.
    There is a very long corridor, where you can walk on to through the north of the map.
    You can also use an imp to walk there.
    Not that there is very much to see, but you will find some specials there also.

I'll not say more for now, because it's all spoilers.
    You can figure out these things for yourself.
    There is chance to enforce all the walls of your dungeon, but you will need smart timing and hurry in training and research, because the other Keeper will train it's minions also. You will have to engage the other Keeper, in order to destroy the White Dungeon Heart in a safe manner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gols_corridor.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	1646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imp_door.gif 
Views:	28 
Size:	534.7 KB 
ID:	1647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samourai_corridor.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	1648  

But I claimed and used the reveal map special. I also destroyed the white hearth, and I mined the gems just fine. I also sold some treasure room tiles to see my treasure room, I know how it goes I didn't know why you want me too,...
    I also claimed all the specials, but I don't know why I want a secret realm or transfer my creatures. I did multiply them when I was attacked.

The thief I can't pick up, so I can't torture him and can't walk around with him.
    I also can't hurry up with research, because I can't do any research. I need to drop creatures in my library for that, but I can't pick them up.

And it is a pain to destroy the green keeper if I have to possess a single creature, and since I can't research I can't use the CTA spell to go there.

If this all intended I go east next time to kill green before white, but if I am supposed to get my spells before I'd rather know.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    But I claimed and used the reveal map special. I also destroyed the white hearth, and I mined the gems just fine. I also sold some treasure room tiles to see my treasure room, I know how it goes I didn't know why you want me too,...
    I also claimed all the specials, but I don't know why I want a secret realm or transfer my creatures. I did multiply them when I was attacked.

The thief I can't pick up, so I can't torture him and can't walk around with him.
    I also can't hurry up with research, because I can't do any research. I need to drop creatures in my library for that, but I can't pick them up.

And it is a pain to destroy the green keeper if I have to possess a single creature, and since I can't research I can't use the CTA spell to go there.

If this all intended I go east next time to kill green before white, but if I am supposed to get my spells before I'd rather know.
    If that is so, than the map is not compatible with KeeperFX.
    The map is scripted for Dungeon keeper, where it is impossible to claim the reveal map special, until you have defeated the AI Keeper.

I don't know what is changed in KeeperFX, but Adikted scripts for Dungeon Keeper, not for KeeperFX.
    If I want to make this map compatible for KeeperFX, I will have to redo it or throw it away.

Code:
    IF(PLAYER2,DUNGEON_DESTROYED == 1)
        DISPLAY_INFORMATION(53)
    	SET_TIMER(PLAYER0,TIMER1)
        ADD_TUNNELLER_PARTY_TO_LEVEL(PLAYER_GOOD,ELEVEN,-2,DUNGEON_HEART,PLAYER0,RANDOM(1,5),RANDOM(144,448))
        ADD_TUNNELLER_PARTY_TO_LEVEL(PLAYER_GOOD,TEN,-8,DUNGEON_HEART,PLAYER0,RANDOM(5,10),RANDOM(288,896))
        ADD_PARTY_TO_LEVEL(PLAYER_GOOD,ELEVEN,-4,1)
        ADD_PARTY_TO_LEVEL(PLAYER_GOOD,TEN,-4,1)
    	ADD_TUNNELLER_TO_LEVEL(PLAYER_GOOD,-4,DUNGEON_HEART,PLAYER0,RANDOM(6,9),RANDOM(288,896))
        MAX_CREATURES(PLAYER0,RANDOM(36,44))
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,SKELETON,1,0)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,GHOST,1,0)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,VAMPIRE,1,0)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,TROLL,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,BILE_DEMON,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,DARK_MISTRESS,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,DRAGON,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,SORCEROR,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,HORNY,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,HELL_HOUND,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,BUG,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,FLY,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,TENTACLE,1,1)
        CREATURE_AVAILABLE(PLAYER0,DEMONSPAWN,1,1)
    ENDIF
    The tunneler code destroys a claimed bock on the map, that will create an only entrance to the Heroes Dungeon.

The area to the Heroes Dungeon is rock, one is not supposed to be able to build bridges there.
    I don't know why you can't pick up creatures, because if KeeperFX has been created like that, the whole game will change into another game.
    If you can build bridges through rock, and can not pick up creatures, this map can not be played.

A, well the specials make sense, see this bug that has recently been introduced. Imps pick up specials now on neutral ground, but I believe this bug isn't there yet on 0.4.6 main release, and hopefully fixed again in a future version.

However, not being able to pick up creatures is something you placed explicitly in the script:
    Code:
    MAGIC_AVAILABLE(ALL_PLAYERS,POWER_HAND,1,0)
    This means that the player has access to the spell but has to research it first. This piece of code did not work in DK yet, so for this to work you'll have to run it in KeeperFX. Sounds like you didn't intend it, in which case you can simply remove the line or change the last 0 to a 1 and it will work the same in both DK and FX.

Code:
    MAGIC_AVAILABLE(ALL_PLAYERS,POWER_HAND,1,0)
    I know. Terrible to change the original game. There are several other levels where POWER_HAND is not scripted in, or set to 0,0.
    Being able to capture specials on neutral ground is a big change also, because there are several in Alcatraz that you can grab that way.

I came to think, not checked, that the block that I scripted to be destroyed by a tunneler, can also be destroyed by taking out the Heroes Dungeon Heart.
    I must presume, you went all the way to the labyrinth, while leaving the Green Keeper alive.
    My mistake there. I generally script the maps the maps in such a way, that player0 does not need to kill the AI keepers, in order to win.

Okay, I'll make some changes than to the script, and will upload it again at this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 0etelaer View Post
    Okay, I'll make some changes than to the script, and will upload it again at this thread.
    Here the updated version.
    POWER_HAND is now 1,1 and the WIN_GAME statement has taken out the Dungeon Destroyed Player 2.
    I hope it works now.
    01227_Alcatraz.zip
    Thank you for testing this map YourMaster.

The claiming of the specials on neutral ground is not an intended change, but an unwanted side effect. I presume that will be fixed sometimes.

That you can now disable power hand is a good change - I have no trouble arguing that it is not best practice to set the power to 0 when you don't want it to even though it doesn't work. And now you CAN disable it as a mapmaker, giving you possibilities you didn't have before, while taking nothing away. I've actually used it on a map.

And no, I didn't go around back to destroy the dungeon heart. You start the map with a lvl10 thief in prison, which turned into a skeleton because I couldn't torture it. I possessed the skeleton and used its lightning spell to shoot at the white heart so I could dig into the dungeon directly.

And no, I didn't go around back to destroy the dungeon heart. You start the map with a lvl10 thief in prison, which turned into a skeleton because I couldn't torture it. I possessed the skeleton and used its lightning spell to shoot at the white heart so I could dig into the dungeon directly.
    O, okay. Any ways, if you want to win, you'll have to restart with the new script.
    I can't tell any more about the map over here, because gave away to many spoilers already.
    If you succeed to play it with the new script, in the way it was intended, it was now compatible to KeeperFX now.

I recently tried one of your levels, The Dead Clock, it was not compatible.
    The map was immediately won by my older version of KeeperFX, because the new KeeperFX commands messed up the script for original Dungeon Keeper. The title color did not turn dark afterwards. I also was not able to attract any creature form the portal, if that was the purpose of the level. Mefistotelis said that the KeeperFX commands are skipped by original Dungeon Keeper, but if that was the truth, there would be no REM command needed. They interfere with the script, but maybe some testing could stop that interfering by changing the used new words.