Thread: Vanilla DK2 optimum graphics settings ?

Imp

Default Vanilla DK2 optimum graphics settings ?

Hello everybody . First time posting here but I've been a regular guest for a very long time . I'm addicted to DK2 and this is the best forum for the game series . I searched for a while but the information became very confusing and conflicting . I was wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction with this question please .

I pulled out a very old laptop running XP and an nvidia dedicated card . I put the stock DK2 CD and it ran and installed flawlessly . Then after that the game started and ran perfect as well . Something I couldn't even do on my modern PC . I have the GOG version as well but I don't wish to run version 1.7 and my understanding is that the GOG version disables or modifies hardware acceleration somehow . That's something I don't want either .

Here's the question . What do I need to adjust on the vanilla game to obtain the best graphical settings ?
    - Things like softwarefilter or 32biteverything or the like ?
    - How about changing the config.ini for things like antialiasing or anything else ? I should note though that I can't find that file in the installation directory even though a lot of people mention the file here on the forums .
    - Any settings in the registry ? I do know how to increase the resolution even though it messes up the ingame menu but that's fine with me .
    - Anything else you can suggest ?

I have all the patches but for now I left the game unpatched (version 1.3 I think) unless someone tells me otherwise . Again I tried searching but most topics address the opposite of what I'm trying to do . They help you decrease graphics for compatibility however I don't have any compatibility issues so I would like to get the most out of the game as it was meant to be originally . Things like full hardware acceleration and bumpmapping . Also if it matters , under the direct3d option in the main menu , my laptop says "primary display driver" . If more information is needed please don't hesitate to ask . I really hope someone can help me out and thank you in advance !

OpenKeeper developer

Default Re: Vanilla DK2 optimum graphics settings ?

The GOG version is good. It just adds their own renderer you can choose if you want. But I think it doesn't force you to do it. For modern setups.

Here is a flag for the bumbmapping & luminance and whatnot:
    https://keeperklan.com/threads/681-Command-Lines-List

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by tonihele View Post
    The GOG version is good. It just adds their own renderer you can choose if you want. But I think it doesn't force you to do it. For modern setups.

Here is a flag for the bumbmapping & luminance and whatnot:
    https://keeperklan.com/threads/681-Command-Lines-List
    Hi Tonihele and thank you for the reply . I ended up adding the 32biteverything , softwarefilter , bumpmapping and bumpluminance flags to the exe . I'm unsure if that'll really make a visual difference but I don't think it'll harm anything either .

At first I thought the softwarefilter flag will make the game run in software mode instead of hardware acceleration mode but after checking out the link you sent , it turns out I was incorrect .

By any chance , would you happen to know why the GOG installation folder contains a config.ini file but the original CD installation folder doesn't ? I'm guessing it's exclusively a GOG thing and not something that came with the vanilla game originally perhaps ? I'm curious since I think I read somewhere on here that you can tweak that file and add things such as antialiasing as well as other effects .

The problem with the GOG version of course is that it is patched to version 1.7, and as such has no functioning enemy AI. If you want to play against the computer, play version 1.3 or 1.5.
    I believe that the 'General Improvement Mod' can be used to get the benefits from the GOG release while still playing a version with a functioning opponent.