Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this feature be revived?

Default Re: Can this feature be revived?

That's great.

And no rush, the KeeperFX is on a hiatus anyway, it will take at least months before this is picked up.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    That's great.

And no rush, the KeeperFX is on a hiatus anyway, it will take at least months before this is picked up.
    Was planning to do it this weekend, but things got in the way. But as you say, there's no rush.

Troll

I haven't forgotten about this. I haven't found the time to do each sound individually yet, but I have found the time to do a wav recording of how the MIDI file sounds with each SoundFont. This is how they sound in-game, with the only differences being the recordings are in stereo, and I had to record these in 11khz due to file size issues. It was never in stereo on the AWE or the X-FI; I don't know if it's to do with SynthFont, or if the hardware's too old, or if the Microsoft Software Synth does it in stereo. Again, this is only part of the sequence, and I don't know how the game goes beyond what I've got here.

In the interests of getting this working (if this is picked up), I think I'd better retract my previous statement that it's not necessary to include the .sf2 conversions, because .sbk became obsolete a long time ago.

sounds.rar sf2.rar
    Last edited by AdamP; September 11th, 2016 at 16:48.

Don't mind me, I'm just browsing through this forum reading interesting threads.

The sounds are one of the best parts of Dungeon Keeper. So much atmosphere in the way they're done. This is a great find. I wonder why they weren't implemented in the original. Maybe they ran out of time, or they decided to keep them out for some reason.

It reminds me of the sort of thing you would hear in a haunted house maze here in the U.S.. Pretty fun. The tonal drips and drops could maybe get old but overall I like it.

If I understand correctly, this was implemented in the original game, but it requires a sound blaster. And sound blasters aren't around anymore.
    So this feature is lost to people playing either the original game or KeeperFX on modern machines.

Troll

Wow, I hadn't realised someone had posted since I last did.

Anyway, I've just been trying (on my Windows 10 machine) to replicate what I have managed on my XP machine, but for some reason I can't get the "dripping" sounds to play beyond the first few seconds. Everything else works as it did though. Strange. Haven't tried it while playing the game though. There must be some way to get it working...

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    If I understand correctly, this was implemented in the original game, but it requires a sound blaster.
    Not just any Sound Blaster, it must be an AWE32 or AWE64. It doesn't even work on my Windows 98SE machine with a Sound Blaster Live!.

So if I understand correctly. Even the recent unofficial patched versions don't even have this feature yet?

You understand correctly, there has been no progress on this at all.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by IndustryStandard View Post
    So if I understand correctly. Even the recent unofficial patched versions don't even have this feature yet?
    If I understand correctly, it's there, but needs to be rewritten for modern systems.