Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can this feature be revived?

Troll

Default Re: Can this feature be revived?

Quote Originally Posted by IndustryStandard View Post
    Should touch base with the unofficial patch dude, I'd love for this to be in an update.
    It may well be soon. I and another person actually have this (well, at least the stock atmospheric sounds) working in KeeperFX! We just need to sort out the finer details, so to speak.

And testing. There's two implementations.

This one written completely by AdamP. From a coding perspective it is very basic, it's just KeeperFX playing another OGG file on top of the regular music and sounds. The real work is the ogg files AdamP created for this, where the original game played a fixed sequence of sounds (lost to time, except for the first 3 minutes) to imitate semi-random intervals, AdamP recreated it mostly from memory and by extrapolating the existing sequence with the desire to include all possible sound-transmutations. For this to work the game has to be bundled with a set of large OGG files.

This is the second one. This one uses the exact wave-files extracted from the game, but without a pre-baked sequence. It simply plays a random sound after a random amount of time (which averages out to about 25 seconds) with a random transmutation. This just marginally increases the size of the game but requires tweaking to get the sounds to sound just like they did in the original game. And because I wrote the code for it, while not being a coder at all, I want somebody who is to look over it as well.

That said, I played a few maps with it recently to get a feel for how it actually works in game and I got to say I like it. I completely forgot it from the original game, and the background sounds serve no gameplay function, but it does exactly what it is supposed to do, it adds to the atmosphere.
    Last edited by YourMaster; November 21st, 2018 at 17:50.

Awesome, I'm happy it's being looked at.

I'll hold off my next playthrough until this gets added hopefully.

Troll

It's a shame we're not yet able to do the other part of this feature though .

Well, you're in luck: Download the new alpha and don't forget to update the sound.dat.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
    It's a shame we're not yet able to do the other part of this feature though .
    Perhaps some other time. I listed an issue for this.

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by YourMaster View Post
    I listed an issue for this.
    That sounds plausible. We might need to isolate a range or ranges though, in case further changes to sound.dat conflict with it.

Troll

Has anyone seen this trailer?

It features the sound effects from the Bullfrog SoundFont bank (and I think the sequence is the same as well). I wonder if anyone else has noticed? I wouldn't be surprised if most think those sounds aren't in the final game.

I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it was in a "goodies" folder that can be download from the dungeon keeper fx webpage.

Looks like a very early trailer, when they were still working on the project.

Troll

When I first saw it, I think I was surprised to hear those sounds. It seems a bit odd to put in sounds that are only available to certain users, even on a trailer. It makes me wonder if they'd always intended to use SoundFonts for the atmospheric sounds. Maybe at one point they had intended to do it a similar way to the latest KeeperFX alpha?

Troll

Quote Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
    That sounds plausible. We might need to isolate a range or ranges though, in case further changes to sound.dat conflict with it.
    I've been thinking; Could we not have a folder with wav files? Can the functions used play external wav files?